Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Did anyone register for the free Bose via Huawei site?
    Were there any questions back from them to clarify anything?

Just registered finally thru german site, last day to apply. Hoping they dont question anything, such as the german address on the invoice which might not match the records amazon have. ;)

Hoping they dont check ze papiers.

What's this?? Free headphones??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

What's this?? Free headphones??

Hopefully so. If you pre ordered in March and got them in June though.
    Twilight was worth the wait tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting poor data speeds? I'm on Vodafone but my 4g the past few days is useless. Multiple restarts and still the same.

I've noticed on Vodafone when I fall back to 3G that the data speeds are woeful, have seen it happen in a few different places so I doubt it's the Vodafone network.

4G speeds are great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Flaccus wrote: »
    Surely vf issue.. Phone isn't working full stop..

Big argument ensued instore, threw a few shapes.....they finally agreed to replace if (1) diagnostic shows issue  OR (2) diagnostic does not show issue and tech support say there is no issue on the way 4G is setup on my account

But guess what...turns out no issue shows up after they ran diagnostic, and then they did a factory reset (grrr) because their software told them to and of course still no issue (that makes no sense right to do factory reset if issue not showing).

But...after a call to tech support they said that the APN on their back end had not been setup for my account!!!  Never heard of that one before. Now I know the APN settings on the phone are correct and I can use 4G/4G+ so maybe when the phone goes to sleep it relies on phoning home and so drops the connection as VF don't have APN settings provisioned for my account.  Just speculation on my side but it kinda makes sense cause the new sim the shop gave me never activated until I rang VF customer service and when I login to my online account it still says there is a sim waiting to activate !!  At least it did, that option is not there anymore. Anyway tech support say it's all setup now, and I'm leaving phone asleep for an hour. What a hassle.
    I'm on Vodafone with the P20 Pro and I've had the same issues. When the phone is unlocked, there is no mobile data. I rang Vodafone, they said they reset the internet settings from their side. What they actually did, I've no idea. 

Interesting to see how many also have the same issue.

Well i got my free Bose QC35s approved. God bless the pdf editor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 bafled

Well i got my free Bose QC35s approved. God bless the pdf editor.

I got a email saying it was only open to people with a German address.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I'm really tempted to pick one of these up. Anyone make the move from the note 8? How does it compare?

bafled wrote: »
    I got a email saying it was only open to people with a German address.

It was, which was my concern as I had delivered to Ireland. I got them sent to a german friend and changed invoice address as backup as I didn't fancy trying to argue the basis of my order versus T&Cs.

Either they didn't check or they didn't care. I stood to lose nothing I guess if they rejected.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone any experience with Android Auto? When I plug my Honor 10 in the sound changes after a few seconds. It has a tinny sound as if there's a high pass filter on it. I changed the Huawei Histen settings for headphones so it isn't on auto and upped the bass a little so it sounds fine.

This is connected via USB though, so not sure why this is happening. It takes a lot of the bass out of the music.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a very good phone without doubt.

Battery, storage, and camera are all top class.

I have a problem with Waze and Android Auto. After a while I just get a black screen. A reboot clears it and Google Maps works fine. Any ideas? I think there is a conflict somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's a very good phone without doubt.

Battery, storage, and camera are all top class.

I have a problem with Waze and Android Auto. After a while I just get a black screen. A reboot clears it and Google Maps works fine. Any ideas? I think there is a conflict somewhere.
    Android auto works mostly for me, Spotify on the home screen is misshapen and the dialler doesn't come up when someone phones.. Also for some reason I'm not getting notifications of traffic at regular commute times

Whats the most recent software people are running in their p20 Pro. I bought mine sim free, the l09 model single sim and I'm yet to receive any updates on it. Stuck on .110 with the April security patch. Pretty crap for such a phone.

i got an update to .128 not long after getting phone about a month ago

• Advertisement

What's your model number?. Mine is CLT-L09.

mine is L29. Not sure difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

mine is L29. Not sure difference

Yours is dual Sim, the 2 in the 29 signifies that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I have model number CLT L09 and it is currently updated to .128, with vf bill pay pre order phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

i got an update to .128 not long after getting phone about a month ago

Where did you get the phone from?

I'm clt-L09 on 103(c782). Also still on the March security patch. I was beginning to wonder when I'd see an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭iHungry

GPU turbo software upgrade is coming in August.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/huawei-honor-gpu-turbo-news/

Where did you get the phone from?

I'm clt-L09 on 103(c782). Also still on the March security patch. I was beginning to wonder when I'd see an update.

sorry was away last week. got some fantastic photos at night, does a really good job of keeping the subject focused and nice motion blur on the traffic etc.

got mine from amazon.de

edit: just getting update to 131 it seems. Google security patches, updates to 960fps slo mo and camera UI

Just check and updated to 131.

The Auto detection on the 960fps videos was one of the main things I was missing, so great to see this is added.

Quick test with a "Kinder surprise Dino" dropping in front of the camera and it works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any recommendations for a non bulky case with port cover for a P20 <non lite/pro>?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all,

Still have a Spigen Rugged Armor case for the regular P20 if anyone would like it for free. Solid case, not too bulky but will protect the phone if dropped on a hard floor. My old P9 took some serious drops!
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with Android Auto? When I plug my Honor 10 in the sound changes after a few seconds. It has a tinny sound as if there's a high pass filter on it. I changed the Huawei Histen settings for headphones so it isn't on auto and upped the bass a little so it sounds fine.

This is connected via USB though, so not sure why this is happening. It takes a lot of the bass out of the music.

Just another one on Android Auto, sometimes my phone shows up the "Charge only, USB" selection when plugged and stops Android Auto from launching, anyone experiencing this? Doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I plug in I have to cancel the selection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes AA doesn't always launch when the phone is plugged in. Just unplug it, and then try again.

Must say I really like AA. Google maps is great (although when I tried Waze there seemed to be a conflict) and I use a couple of compatible radio apps to stream all sorts of foreign radio stations on the go. Goodbye Newstalk etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Is there an app or something I can download to check my battery capacity, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere near the battery life that most people are speaking about the P20 Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Is there an app or something I can download to check my battery capacity, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere near the battery life that most people are speaking about the P20 Pro
    Try gsam battery.. Good app. You may need to enable some permissions via adb to get full functionality. I find compared to my one plus 5t I'm getting similar battery life. On paper it should be more but the auto brightness was way to dim on the one plus. I'm using auto brightness on p 20 Pro and know the screen is much brighter than I ever ran the one plus. That accounts for a lot of my usage I reckon

Been onto Huawei in regards to an update for my p20 Pro. Seems there's no update available and they don't know when. So I'm still on April 1 security patch with no update in sight. What a joke. Considering swapping for a Note 8 at this stage. At least I'll get a headphone jack, a useful always on display and some updates..

I'm don't quite understand your reasons.

The s9 had an essential update to fix a dropped call issue recently, so maybe its a better sign that the p20 Pro has no essential updates required?

Is there some wrong or missing from the phone, in your opinion, or do you just want an update for the sake or it?(genuine question)

Also the camera update came yesterday on Vodafone, so others and you should get that soon.

what network are you with or is it sim free? Did you get the camera update yet?

There is also the turbo gpu update planned for August that seems to significantly improve gaming performance and battery.

So again I'm not sure why you are not getting the updates everyone else is getting, and the main reasons your looking for an update.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The security updates you're talking about are manufacturer updates for their own firmware issues. If Huawei aren't updating them every other month it's a good sign that they aren't building compromised firmware.

That seems silly. I'd rather a company take their time and release good code that constantly throw out ****e and keep finding problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wamwig

Has anyone removed the factory installed screen protector? How does it look/feel without it. Mine is beginning to peel so I’m tempted to remove it

Wamwig wrote: »
    Has anyone removed the factory installed screen protector? How does it look/feel without it. Mine is beginning to peel so I’m tempted to remove it

Have a normal P20 but the day after I got it I bought 2 Tempered Glass for approx 6 euro delivered off Ebay (Irish seller). Perfect fit with the original case and the response is just as good as the plastic protector.

Was thinking of leaving it off. Does it have oleophobic coating on the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭iHungry

I removed the screen protector because I don't like them on any phone. I bought the official flip case cover and I love it, it works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Anyone having an issue with the Facebook app on it today. It opens and closes immediately. I've reinstalled the app a few times now but its not fixed it

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Anyone having an issue with the Facebook app on it today. It opens and closes immediately. I've reinstalled the app a few times now but its not fixed it
    Had it yesterday with both Facebook and Instagram. Deleting and re-installing fixed it for me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Problem is with Facebook app itself, just read about it online. Happening only on android apparently after an update

Wamwig wrote: »
    Was thinking of leaving it off. Does it have oleophobic coating on the screen?

Sorry just seen this. I'm not too sure, haven't had any liquids near it. Gets the fingerprint marks like any protector but a quick wipe and its back to looking like new. The response is the same as without the glass protector which was the main thing for me - my old S8 was horrible with a glass protector (In fairness I think it was due to the curved screen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey folks,

Considering moving back to Huawei from the OnePlus.
    Caught between the P20 and the P20 Pro. Any reason to go with the Pro??

Hey folks,

Considering moving back to Huawei from the OnePlus.
    Caught between the P20 and the P20 Pro. Any reason to go with the Pro??

Bigger battery, slightly bigger screen and a better camera, especially in low.light, due to the gigantic sensor on the pro.

• Advertisement

Bigger battery, slightly bigger screen and a better camera, especially in low.light, due to the gigantic sensor on the pro.

Upgrade cost is free for the P20 but 199 for the P20 Pro. Worth the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I went for the P20 as the Pro was about 200-250 more which didn't cut it for my needs. I get 25 - 30 hrs out of the battery and am a heavy user.

In saying that the Pro has all of the P20s features plus better battery, camera, waterproofing (I have a dustcap thing in my usb port when not charging - bit over protective!)

Since you're on bill and tied down to a contract for 2 years i'd definitely go for the Pro.

Out of the pocket shot at night p20 Pro.

Thanks a million folks.  Now the only issue is that Im back to being tied into a 24 month contract.  But the phone will more than make up for it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement