Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Are the P20 Pros easily unlocked?

The 3 deal is tempting to be honest if it could be easily unlocked to take my Vodafone SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Looking to pull the trigger on this, its a lot of sauce for a phone......Would need to know if it is locked to Three though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Tempted to buy the Huawei P20 pro on the Tesco Mobile billy pay €30.00 per month plan.

It's only €249.99 for the phone on the €30 monthly plan (24 month contract).

https://www.tescomobile.ie/order-selection/550/Huawei-P20-Pro?prepay=0

I haven't seen it any cheaper out there with any other providers....??

Just took a risk with one from three. Popped my Vodafone Sim and it works perfectly.

I had to settle for the black one though as the twilight is showing as 700 instead of 600 for an in-store purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

My spigen screen protector cracked as I let the phone drop and hit edge of a table.. I caught the phone but still cracked the tempered glass. The spigen was ok but I had ghosting down the sides of the phone. Ordered the ultimate shield tempered glass earlier in the week and phone shop fitted for me yesterday. So far much better than the spidgen. No ghosting at the edge, no oily effect and no dot matrix. Highly recommended

https://www.ultimateshield.co.uk/collections/huawei-p20-pro/products/huawei-p20-pro-tempered-glass-screen-protector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

My spigen screen protector cracked as I let the phone drop and hit edge of a table.. I caught the phone but still cracked the tempered glass. The spigen was ok but I had ghosting down the sides of the phone. Ordered the ultimate shield tempered glass earlier in the week and phone shop fitted for me yesterday. So far much better than the spidgen. No ghosting at the edge, no oily effect and no dot matrix. Highly recommended

https://www.ultimateshield.co.uk/collections/huawei-p20-pro/products/huawei-p20-pro-tempered-glass-screen-protector

I had that one initially but on only the 2nd day I owned the phone I took it out of my bag after the gym and the screen protector was smashed around the fingerprint sensor. There were keys in the bag that I reckon were the culprit.

The screen itself was fine. I since put a spigen on and no issues. However, I also bought a soft case to put it into when its in bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Just picked up a P20 pro...is not being able to expand notifications from the lock screen a 'feature' of this phone?!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Just picked up a P20 pro...is not being able to expand notifications from the lock screen a 'feature' of this phone?!

It's a Huawei thing, I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's a Huawei thing, I think

Any way around it? It's the only minor bug bare of mine. Otherwise I love my P20 pro.

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Any way around it? It's the only minor bug bare of mine. Otherwise I love my P20 pro.

I googled it, and apparently it's fixed in EMUI 9 for Android Pie. I'm not sure whether you can join the beta programme, otherwise you'll have to wait for it to be released.

Fairly annoying alright! Works fine on a P20 lite...which is very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Currently an iPhone user and seriously thinking about changing back to android and particularly the P20 Pro.
    Was an android user for many years but the slow software updates with eir was seriously pissing me off.
    Any way not particularly excited about the new iPhone range and definitely not want to change and spend that money.
    So a few questions, what is the Huawei system like to use ... I have only used Samsung and HTC and preferred the early HTC phones.
    The more important question is what is the camera really like is it as good as some say...
    I am hobbyist photographer as is and I use a good dslr for my projects but it would be dam handy to have a decent camera on a phone for the likes of nights out and holidays, can the p20 be used a decent point and shoot.

The camera is amazing. The selfie camera isn't so good, although using an app to control it produces better results.

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Currently an iPhone user and seriously thinking about changing back to android and particularly the P20 Pro.
    Was an android user for many years but the slow software updates with eir was seriously pissing me off.
    Any way not particularly excited about the new iPhone range and definitely not want to change and spend that money.
    So a few questions, what is the Huawei system like to use ... I have only used Samsung and HTC and preferred the early HTC phones.
    The more important question is what is the camera really like is it as good as some say...
    I am hobbyist photographer as is and I use a good dslr for my projects but it would be dam handy to have a decent camera on a phone for the likes of nights out and holidays, can the p20 be used a decent point and shoot.
    The camera is great. Like any android phone you can make it look how you want with various launchers. The default Huawei launcher is actually very similar to ios so you will be right at home with it. The one downside is updates. Don't expect them at the lightening speed of what say one plus offer. I'd say a couple every year is more likely. The phone is very fast though, with great screen and camera so you can't go to far long. Good battery life as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Looking to pick up a P20. Are the 3 phones still unlocked? Seems the cheapest place to pick it up by quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Got a P20 Pro from 3 a few weeks back and it was unlocked and unbranded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Wondering is it better to buy the p20 pro outright or contract. I don’t fancy these min €40 plus a month for 24 months contracts. Sim only deals seem better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

who_ru wrote: »
    Wondering is it better to buy the p20 pro outright or contract. I don’t fancy these min €40 plus a month for 24 months contracts. Sim only deals seem better.

I bought mine outright when it came out, don't regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see eir have the p20 Pro for €149 now (bill pay)

Gatling wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in a mint condition p20 Pro I am considering selling mine. Bought from three and unlocked. Ultimateshield tempered glass and couple of cases.. Crazy to consider selling but want to try something different

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in a mint condition p20 Pro I am considering selling mine. Bought from three and unlocked. Ultimateshield tempered glass and couple of cases.. Crazy to consider selling but want to try something different

How much? The bird needs a new phone

How much? The bird needs a new phone

http://www.adverts.ie/16415744

I don't know. I'm probably nuts selling it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I might come back to you if raze_them_all isn't interested Mick, i'll let you know. Sold my P20 (standard) went back to Samsung 3-4 weeks ago and now I'm getting the itch to go for the Pro model. Not having to worry about charging a phone for 2 days is a huge perk. It's a Gold sim free A8 2018 if anyone is interested :pac:

Gatling wrote: »

€250 on Tesco @ 30 a month.

rizzee wrote: »
    €250 on Tesco @ 30 a month.

Now €99 on eir with plans from 39pm

It's 99 on the 55 & 70 a month plan, 299 on 40 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have it in Twilight which is a gorgeous colour, is it only 3 that sell that colour ? wife wants one but she's Vodafone and seems to be only black with them

I have it in Twilight which is a gorgeous colour, is it only 3 that sell that colour ? wife wants one but she's Vodafone and seems to be only black with them

Seems that way , I talked to one of the eir area managers and he said the buyers here had no interest in purchasing them for retailers as they believe the black sells better,
    So much for consumer choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got a system update that contains the August Google patches and a fix to the camera app (that disables AI by default - you have to turn it on yourself)

They have instore as part of their christmas range at the moment (*eh yes i know its only October) a really cute jar of brownie mix (theres also a cookie mix).

Its dear enough, 4.49, makes 10 brownies (dont know how many cookies) but you are getting a good quality glass mason type jar into the bargain.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    They have instore as part of their christmas range at the moment (*eh yes i know its only October) a really cute jar of brownie mix (theres also a cookie mix).

Its dear enough, 4.49, makes 10 brownies (dont know how many cookies) but you are getting a good quality glass mason type jar into the bargain.
    Sweet phone that makes cookis

Sweet phone that makes cookis

Oh dear - that posted to the wrong thread - sorry!!

Knowing Huawei that's probably the android pie update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

batman2000 wrote: »
    I've a P20 Pro and Vodafone Bill Pay and my Huawei still has CLT-L09-8.1.0.128
    I just got an update to CLT-L09-8.1.0.156 on Vodafone Bill Pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

batman2000 wrote: »
    I've a P20 Pro and Vodafone Bill Pay and my Huawei still has CLT-L09-8.1.0.128
    I just got an update to CLT-L09-8.1.0.156 on Vodafone Bill Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

Got a P20 Pro from 3 a few weeks back and it was unlocked and unbranded.

Did you buy instore or online? Do they ask for a Three mobile number?

cowlick wrote: »
    Did you buy instore or online? Do they ask for a Three mobile number?

They did ask for a 3 mobile number but I have a mifi dongle that I use when travelling so I just used the number from that. It was in-store.

Actually thinking about jumping ship to a pixel 3 at the moment though now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Guys, any of you have the P20 Lite at the moment? Any comments on it?

Was due for an upgrade and happened to pass by Carphone Warehouse yesterday. I have the Samsung J5 (2016) atm & thought I probably would switch to the newer J5. However, I was suggested the Huawei P20 Lite, looked at the specs, checked out the phone in hand and it seemed quite good. Thought it wasn't that risky since I'm getting it for free. My only mistake is not letting myself check reviews first (which I'm finding out now is a bit so-so-- main neg point being no stabilisation on videos- how bad is this really?! Not an expert)

I haven't opened the box and still thinking if I bit the bullet/got sweet talked into it more than I should have? Is it a good phone for me? I'm an average user- social media, taking photos now & then although I use my dslr more, surf internet, youtube, messenger, that's all. Or should I return & look for another one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I got the lite a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. The camera is brilliant for its price-range. AFAIK it doesn't have the Leica lenses like the P20 / pro models but I'm very impressed. I'm not a photo enthusiast so its absolutely perfect for what I need it for.

I use my phone A LOT throughout the day for a lot of different things and it's had absolutely no bother keeping up with me. Might be a few milliseconds opening apps every now and again, and I've had maybe 2 or 3 jam ups in total for a few seconds when I'm opening multiple apps but still nowhere near bad enough to complain about.

Battery is the job too. I've tested it a few times, again with heavy use throughout the day and running spotify / podcasts to and from work and you'd well have enough juice to get the vast majority of the day out of it. Fast charge works very well too.

It feels nice in the hand, lovely sharp display.

The only real complaint I'd have is the absence of the hard key, which you get in the other models but that's just me as I generally like to get as big a display as possible and I miss those few mms that you lose with the soft key overlay. There are a few nice options though to overlay a singular navigation button, or to hide the nav softkey drawer, which is great.

I miss the gesture functionality too, which I had with my Samsungs before and more recently with my Moto G5. There are a couple of very basic ones built in but that's about it. Again, not a huge complaint really.

• Advertisement

Phone keeps deleting contacts randomly. Just text my girlfriend, she replies but her number is deleted from my phone. Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Phone keeps deleting contacts randomly. Just text my girlfriend, she replies but her number is deleted from my phone. Wtf

its a sign.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got a system update that adds September's security patches, plus VoLTE and VoWiFi. Does anyone know if the voice over functions work on our networks over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Just got a text saying virgin mobile now stock P20 Pro. If you buy in store you can claim QC35s while stocks last. No mention of price
    Love these headphones have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just got a text saying virgin mobile now stock P20 Pro. If you buy in store you can claim QC35s while stocks last. No mention of price
    Love these headphones have to say.

From €129 upfront and €30 a month for the first 3 months and then €55 a month on a 24 month contract. Sim free still a better way to go.

Cheapest place to get one of these now? Vodafone or sim free. Adverts prices still going strong just over 500 quid.

• Advertisement

€599 from Three: https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/huawei-p20-pro/?src=p

The one i bought was unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Pacifico wrote: »
    €599 from Three: https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/huawei-p20-pro/?src=p

The one i bought was unlocked

Bought it here last week. Fantastic phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Has anybody had use of the P20 Pro and Galaxy S9+? I'm torn between the two or maybe even a new Mi Mix 3 from China if reviews are good! The camera reviews for the P20 seem unreal but the S9 is probably a bit more polished is my initial impression.

Appreciate any input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

breeno wrote: »
    Has anybody had use of the P20 Pro and Galaxy S9+? I'm torn between the two or maybe even a new Mi Mix 3 from China if reviews are good! The camera reviews for the P20 seem unreal but the S9 is probably a bit more polished is my initial impression.

Appreciate any input.

I have the P20 Pro as a work phone and the S9+ as a personal phone and to be honest, I wish I had the P20 for both.

I've always had Samsung so the S9+ seemed a natural upgrade from my old S7, then two weeks after upgrade, work changed my phone to the P20 and I love it. Battery is phenomenal, camera super and its fast - looks great too in the twighlight.

Not saying the S9+ is a bad phone at all, just no comparison in my view to the P20 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Got the p20 Pro this week. Initial Impressions are it's a great step up from my previous phone.
    Just noticed there appears to be a screen protector on it.
    Anybody remove this or leave it for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement