Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Upgraded to their latest software and it broke my work profile, great job guys!

My husband has the P20 (not pro) and has had no problems whatsoever, either with the update to Android 9, and no problems connecting to public WiFi which he uses a fair bit. As an aside, I do keep reminding him he has 60g of data a month, but old habits die hard I suppose :) Always has his bloody WiFi on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

ASOT wrote: »
    Has anyone had there screen repaired in Dublin? Smashed mine while away so wondering roughly how much ill have to pay when im home.

Just on this I got it repaired in Celtic Repairs in coolmine industrial estate, €145 and repaired in three hours. Couldn't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hi folks, looking for a bit of advise on this, maybe its a known issue.. Only have the phone a month or so.

Some typical issues im having:
    Whatsapp group messages having a slight delay (could be 1 or 2 minutes)
    Whatapp Group that I've muted, occasionally getting a notification sound
    Whatsapp notifications on occasion different to what I've set it to (I've one specifically for d'wife!)
    Whatsapp notifications not sounding fully (only a part of it)
    Email notifications are delayed (could be several minutes)
    Email notifications not sounding fully (only a part of it)

I'd be satisfied it was Whatsapp issue only for the fact its happening with email(Gmail) notifications also.

All the above since the latest update. Sounds like I need a new phone actually :D

Any thought on this? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Since the update I found a lot of notifications going wonky for me - but more with delays or no notification at all rather than sounds

Found going to Settings > Battery > App launch and turning all sliders quickly returned things to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Facebook hasn't been given permission to access Bluetooth but I'm getting this power drain notification from my phone manager. Can anyone explain why without getting too tinfoil hatty?
    HZyLuH7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I have this constantly

Very annoying

Any fix?
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Facebook hasn't been given permission to access Bluetooth but I'm getting this power drain notification from my phone manager. Can anyone explain why without getting too tinfoil hatty?
    HZyLuH7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have this constantly

Very annoying

Any fix?

uninstall facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Picked up a love mei case recently for the pro ,it's a tough case like an ottetbox only on steroids ,instead of plastic and silicon ,you get tempered glass , aluminium frame front and back and you actually need an allen key to screw your case together sealing your phone inside ,
    Seriously heavy and wider dimensions compared to the actual phone

irishgeo wrote: »
    uninstall facebook.

Not an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Gatling wrote: »
    Picked up a love mei case recently for the pro ,it's a tough case like an ottetbox only on steroids ,instead of plastic and silicon ,you get tempered glass , aluminium frame front and back and you actually need an allen key to screw your case together sealing your phone inside ,
    Seriously heavy and wider dimensions compared to the actual phone

Its mad how otterbox only made the crappy clear one for the pro!

Mundo7976 wrote: »

Yeah I know ,and it's the same as the one you get with the phone ,
    This case I have is like a tank literally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

how are you finding the Pro ????

thinking of getting one buy not sure

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    how are you finding the Pro ????

thinking of getting one buy not sure

Personally not a huge fan of emui, would rather just android, but im coming from a phone i had almost 5 years so its a massive step up and liking it alot so far

EMUI ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's the default launcher (the interface on phone when you get it).
    Easy to replace with another (Nova Prime, Squarehome etc.) if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi folks, my wife is moving to a p20 pro from an iphone 8 mainly for the camera, im trying to mitigate the grief for me here!! is EMUI intuitive or should i go wit another launcher and whats the easiest way of getting all her data:

Contacts
    Whatsapp convos
    Pictures from icloud

onto the P20

excuse my ignorance but she pays 99c a month for icloud storage whats the equivalent now on android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi all, I have some vague recollection of an accidental damage service for free by VF when I bought this phone - has any one successfully or otherwise used this? Dropped my phone at the weekend and broke the glass back
    thanks in advance

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi folks, my wife is moving to a p20 pro from an iphone 8 mainly for the camera, im trying to mitigate the grief for me here!! is EMUI intuitive or should i go wit another launcher and whats the easiest way of getting all her data:

Contacts
    Whatsapp convos
    Pictures from icloud

onto the P20

excuse my ignorance but she pays 99c a month for icloud storage whats the equivalent now on android?

Nova launcher is great.

Google drive will work for your cloud storage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

Cyrus wrote: »

Contacts
    Whatsapp convos
    Pictures from icloud

onto the P20

Huawei have an app called Phone Clone. Download it onto both the iPhone and the P20 and follow the instructions and it will carry across all the important stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Long time Samsung user currently using the s9 but eagerly awaiting the p30 reveal later this month.

If the p20 and p20 pro are anything to go by then this should blow the S10 put of the water. Samsung has just gotten so boring and not very innovative for me.

Any of you p20 users gonna upgrade to the p30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Long time Samsung user currently using the s9 but eagerly awaiting the p30 reveal later this month.

If the p20 and p20 pro are anything to go by then this should blow the S10 put of the water. Samsung has just gotten so boring and not very innovative for me.

I'd say no. I have the p20 pro and it does everything I want and more.. the camera is unreal.. battery top notch.. I'm going to drive this phone into the ground so to speak..

Agreed. Can't fault the P20 Pro. Massive battery, lots of storage and I prefer to use the camera on the phone instead of my DSLR.

No plans to change any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mr E wrote: »
    Agreed. Can't fault the P20 Pro. Massive battery, lots of storage and I prefer to use the camera on the phone instead of my DSLR.

No plans to change any time soon.
    I don't have plans to change,but my son has already asked when I can upgrade!

any concrete info on the specs of this ??

not hearsay etc

any factual info ?

im switching from iphone 7 ( iphone user since 3gs )

GSM arena gives a full rundown

GSM arena gives a full rundown

saw that , but again its hearsay

nothing concrete

vandriver wrote: »
    I don't have plans to change,but my son has already asked when I can upgrade!
    Anthonylfc wrote: »
    saw that , but again its hearsay

nothing concrete

I guess youll have to wait until release date so as only manufacturers can give fully concrete specs.

GSM is fairly reliable though.

I get the feeling the p30 will be only an incremental upgrade over the p20 ,same as the did from the P9 ,10 and then P20 pro and mate ,
    For me it would have to be something special to trade up to first ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not interested in the P30 but I'll be keeping an eye on the price of the P20 for when it inevitably drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

I love my P20 pro for the cameras and i was thinking I might upgrade to the P30 pro if it comes with a wide angle lens camera and if there's a pre-order deal like for the P20 pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What cases are people using/would recommend for the Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

Where can i get a p20 pro for less than 600? All the ones on Amazon are 3rd party sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What cases are people using/would recommend for the Pro?

Always Spigen. Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Which version of this phone is most suitable for Ireland. On Amazon it lists 3 versions. International,western European and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Have had my P20 Pro almost a year, what a great phone it is and then at the weekend the home button died a death, the fingerprint software even disappeared as a result of the hardware failure, has been sent off for repair :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A very stupid question, how do i set this up for Chromecasting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Where can i get a p20 pro for less than 600? All the ones on Amazon are 3rd party sellers.

Three have it for 590

@naughtb4 - Install the Google Home app, and configure your chromecast through that.

In any apps that support casting, look for this icon while watching a video:

61029.png

Anyone using phone without any screen protector?

Mine is looking tatty now as it's the factory one.. just wondering how the screen would hold up without one..

• Advertisement

keano25 wrote: »

Mine is looking tatty now as it's the factory one.. just wondering how the screen would hold up without one..

I have found the factory one to big a magnet for white dust but i will keep it until it starts going tatty at which point i will replace. Personally i wouldnt like to chance it, even the slightest mark on the screen would do my head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

You'll definitely get some sort of scratch at some stage. I hate screen protectors so I got rid of mine. I'm using the official Huawei smart view flip cover. Haven't had any scratches. It's my first flip cover and I'm a convert now

Mines starting to lift at the edges.. don't know what to do lol

Mines starting to lift at the edges.. don't know what to do lol

A fiver in any of the phone repair shops, be worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Has anyone changed from P20 Pro to a mate 20 Pro or S10/+? Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conor9369

Making a choice between the new Huawei P Smart 2019 and the Huawei P20. Carphone Warehouse are doing the new 2019 P Smart for €150 Pre-Pay when switching to Vodafone. They are also doing the P20 3 Bill-Pay for €30 per month and €0 for the phone on a 24 month contract. I was pretty much game on getting the 2019 P Smart until I saw the deal for the P20 and read up reviews.

The way I see it is I pay €20 a month for credit anyway so it's an extra €10 a month for the P20. I pay €150 upfront for the P Smart or €240 over 24 months for the P20.

Basically is the P20 worth €90 more over the P Smart 2019? Even though the P20 is a year old at this stage I'm leading more towards that now over the P Smart 2019. Especially when I can still upgrade the P20 to new Android and Emui 9.0.

Any advice? I have never been on bill pay before but it seams like a good deal. It has unlimited data, 100 texts and calls, which is pretty much all I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

P30 out next Friday, wait til then and see a price drop on P20 and buy it out straight, then move to a 20 euro a month pay as you go plan

Just a word of warning if you use an app with a bar across the screen(maps for example) for an extended time.
    My screen is destroyed with oled burn .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

vandriver wrote: »
    Just a word of warning if you use an app with a bar across the screen(maps for example) for an extended time.
    My screen is destroyed with oled burn .

What would u consider extended time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Not sure if this is of use to anyone? £432.00 for the P20 Pro

thehamo wrote: »
    What would u consider extended time?
    I use mytaxi as a driver,so hours a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement