Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Had a P20 pro briefly but there seemed to have been a bug with expanding notifications on the lock screen...

If you got a whatsapp for example it would just show the 1st line of the message and you couldn't pull it down to read the rest of the message without opening the message. Is this still the case?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Picked ine up in Three yesterday for €499.99. They huffed and puffed and gave me some guff that that price was just for the twilight colour. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Down to €480 in Vodafone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Do unlock codes on eBay UK work for Vodafone Ireland?

mathie wrote: »
    Do unlock codes on eBay UK work for Vodafone Ireland?

20 quid from here.

480 with Vodafone or 499 with Three.

Anyone spotted a better deal for new?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

€480 for this phone is a great deal, have it a year now and it still performs the same as when i took it out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

rizzee wrote: »
    Down to €480 in Vodafone now.

Is there any commitment when you sign up with Pay as you Go with Vodafone? Do you have to buy credit or anything? Can I literally just go in, sign up as a new PAYG customer, and get the P20 Pro for €480... walk out the door and never give them another cent?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Is there any commitment when you sign up with Pay as you Go with Vodafone? Do you have to buy credit or anything? Can I literally just go in, sign up as a new PAYG customer, and get the P20 Pro for €480... walk out the door and never give them another cent?

Yes you are correct, no commitment. Although you would need to get the phone unlocked for use with another network.

Edit: I know this is 100% true for the online purchase. I presume store is the same, unless they ask you to buy credit with it, which is doubtful.

rizzee wrote: »
    Yes you are correct, no commitment. Although you would need to get the phone unlocked for use with another network.

Edit: I know this is 100% true for the online purchase. I presume store is the same, unless they ask you to buy credit with it, which is doubtful.

Ah ok, it'll be locked to Vodafone. No good for me so.

• Advertisement

They can be unlocked for €20...also possible they're not locked. The ones for Three are not.

Pacifico wrote: »
    They can be unlocked for €20...also possible they're not locked. The ones for Three are not.

Cool, might be worth asking in the shop so. I presume it's one of those phone repair businesses that will unlock it for you... €20 plus the additional hassle of having to physically go and do that though... still a good deal overall but takes the shine off it a bit for me. The Mi 9 is the other option I'm looking at which comes out around the same price (including shipping) but it's SIM free.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Cool, might be worth asking in the shop so. I presume it's one of those phone repair businesses that will unlock it for you... €20 plus the additional hassle of having to physically go and do that though... still a good deal overall but takes the shine off it a bit for me. The Mi 9 is the other option I'm looking at which comes out around the same price (including shipping) but it's SIM free.

Nope, if it is unlocked you can do it yourself with a code bought on adverts or eBay.

For example:
    http://www.adverts.ie/16449885

Pacifico wrote: »

Anyone know if the vodafone p20s are locked?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Think i might grab the p20 pro from vodafone in a few weeks. Only 199 and at 40 a month isnt too bad. Was gonna move over to Three but last time i checked Vodafone were now cheaper

Think i might grab the p20 pro from vodafone in a few weeks. Only 199 and at 40 a month isnt too bad. Was gonna move over to Three but last time i checked Vodafone were now cheaper

Bill pay for Vodafone = 199 upfront and 40 per month for 24 months = 1160.
    Pre pay = 480 upfront. 2 years @ 20 per month = 960.

Depends what way you want to finance it :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I wont have 480 upfront sadly thats why at the moment the 199 suits :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

mathie wrote:
    Bill pay for Vodafone = 199 upfront and 40 per month for 24 months = 1160. Pre pay = 480 upfront. 2 years @ 20 per month = 960.

Not like for like, the 40euro a month is 10GB of data. The 20euro payg only gives you 6GB of data. Vodafone are by far the best network, and are surprisingly expensive for additional data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Anyone having WiFi issues with their p20pro?

Only have mine a couple of weeks and the WiFi is driving me insane. Just constantly dropping telling me the phone is off line. I've reset network settings, restarted phone, factory reset and updated to emui 9. Still no joy

I've compared it to my s7 and the difference is night and day so it's no the WiFi connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Have you tried toggling off wifi+ in the settings

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Have you tried toggling off wifi+ in the settings

That option is no longer there since I updated to emui 9

Settings
    Wireless and network
    Wifi
    Three dots
    Settings
    Wifi+ on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

tedpan wrote:
    Not like for like, the 40euro a month is 10GB of data. The 20euro payg only gives you 6GB of data. Vodafone are by far the best network, and are surprisingly expensive for additional data.

Vodafone X on payg, gives you 20gb data per pm month for 20 euro.

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Vodafone X on payg, gives you 20gb data per pm month for 20 euro.

They upped it to 25gb :) fantastic deal. I'm on the unlimited weekends. Well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Has anyone had the update to 9.1 yet?? P20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

dragona wrote: »
    Has anyone had the update to 9.1 yet?? P20

No... When is ment to role out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MSGSM

Opinions on this phone? Is there still a concern about Chinese monitoring or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MSGSM wrote: »
    Opinions on this phone? Is there still a concern about Chinese monitoring or something?
    Brilliant phone, well worth the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Double post

Heres an anecdote some might find interesting.

Approximately 17 days ago, 2 days before my 12 day vacation to china I lost my beloved Lenovo P2. I went to a Vodafone shop and they said i was due an upgrade and gave me a P20 pro if i renewed my contract. In return for a signature I got it. Very nice phone. Different to my last and a couple of small annoyances. I had bought a nikon coolpix for my trip but hardly used it because the camera on the P20 is incredible. Its a dslr in your pocket. The depth and clarity is fantastic. My only criticism really is the battery. It lasts about a day, even with power optimization on.

Tuesday morning in Shanghai i get a text from my house keeper, "i found your phone, it was beneath the sofa". I got home friday night and there is my lenovo p2. With 7% battery. Its been on this entire time and still functioning.

I think ill keep my lenovo as my phone and use the p20 pro as a camera.

Does anyone want to buy a nikon coolpix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

EMUI 9.1 installed overnight (Vodafone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mr E wrote: »
    EMUI 9.1 installed overnight (Vodafone).

Nothing on VM yet .

But all of the Huawei apps got updates this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Gatling wrote: »
    Nothing on VM yet .

But all of the Huawei apps got updates this week

I'm on Vodafone also and no update yet. The last update I seemed to get 1 week after the first reports here, so is seems like its a staged release with these updates.

I don't know if this is based on IMIE numbers and if Vodafone or Huawei control, or maybe the software is release to the mobile base stations and only when you connected to a base station that has it activated it updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

No update yet for Three users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I got the 9.1 update on my P20 lite a good few weeks back with Vodafone.

If you go into the HiCare app it generally appears there first and can be manually started before automatically arriving via normal updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm with Vodafone and still on 9.0

pippip wrote: »
    I got the 9.1 update on my P20 lite a good few weeks back with Vodafone.

If you go into the HiCare app it generally appears there first and can be manually started before automatically arriving via normal updates.

Just checked , said it's up to date (9.0) . Just have to wait so.

glossy wrote: »
    Just checked , said it's up to date (9.0) . Just have to wait so.

Just got the update there. Annoyingly, all my Google apps and Facebook apps don't show the app picture, just a symbol akin to the play store symbol. What's that all about. I can't bloody find anything

Got update this morning , Just waiting on new Android Auto to update for me now....

.....Dame these phased update roll outs

I know it’s 3.5 months since these prices but I just got the P20 Pro for £399 (€450 ) on John Lewis website. I’m SIM only with Three for €30 per month unlimited . Happy Days, I love it !

Asked in Carphone warehouse about buying this on a contract just this week and I was told €240 upfront and 2 month contract for €45 per month (unlimited data) €1080 plus €240 =€1320 !!! (Three)

• Advertisement

I know it’s 3.5 months since these prices but I just got the P20 Pro for £399 (€450 ) on John Lewis website. I’m SIM only with Three for €30 per month unlimited . Happy Days, I love it !

Asked in Carphone warehouse about buying this on a contract just this week and I was told €240 upfront and 2 month contract for €45 per month (unlimited data) €1080 plus €240 =€1320 !!! (Three)

Still works out at €1170 your way over the 24months!!

thehamo wrote: »
    Just got the update there. Annoyingly, all my Google apps and Facebook apps don't show the app picture, just a symbol akin to the play store symbol. What's that all about. I can't bloody find anything

Hopefully it will sort it self out. I be annoyed. And temped not to throw the phone out the window. Lol.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Still works out at €1170 your way over the 24months!!

Well I own the phone now.
    I’d be paying for usage anyway . €30 over 24 months =€720. Happy with that.

My last phone was 7 years old and I was off contract for ages so it was going to have to be replaced anyway. I’m happy to have bought this outright .
    What I don’t like is paying for a phone over a 24 month period along with your usage. There,s no option to move providers for better offers or if your phone gets lost or broken or is acting up before 2 years is up (like a lot of iPhones) . I’m never going back on contract. I like the freedom now.

glossy wrote: »
    Hopefully it will sort it self out. I be annoyed. And temped not to throw the phone out the window. Lol.

Turns out it was the particular theme I was using. Must have been an old one or something. Though I still haven't found one that I like yet!

thehamo wrote: »
    Turns out it was the particular theme I was using. Must have been an old one or something. Though I still haven't found one that I like yet!

Now that you say that, just reminds me that I got a warning when update complete that my current old theme may not be compatably and would I like to update to new theme.

I'm sure this is a world of good too you now:rolleyes:

Got my update on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Rathkenny

I got the update last night (Vodafone) and My battery has been awful today. I'd usually finish the day with 40-50% battery remaining but today I've had to recharge it twice. Raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Got mine the other day. Battery much the same.

What's different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Rathkenny

Slattsy wrote: »
    Got mine the other day. Battery much the same.

What's different?

I don't know what's causing it. I used it pretty much how I would any other day and didn't change any settings. I'll see how tomorrow goes after another full charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Got the update and I like the cosmetic changes, aswell as some under the hood ones.

Favourite thing about it though is that it plays nicely with Google Photos again - no stutter while scrolling etc.

Advertisement