Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

After last update which I thought worked... I keep getting message that app updates ready. Like in picture attached. But WiFi is connected.

But nothing happens when I get to the 2nd pic screen.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kev111

Helooo all. Dropped my 3 month old p20 and smashed screen. The best quote I have got for screen replacement is €280. Has anyone got a better quote than this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Kev111 wrote: »
    Helooo all. Dropped my 3 month old p20 and smashed screen. The best quote I have got for screen replacement is €280. Has anyone got a better quote than this..
    A screen from replacebase.co.um is about 125 euro.id buy that and ask them to fit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

ForestFire wrote: »
    He is the previous post I made about this:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106743653&postcount=314

You should have got a card with your delivery with the screen replacement details.

It came with mine, so i will try to check if I still have it and what details are included on it.

There was a 12month screen replacement with Vodafone. Not sure it this is relavent to you now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ForestFire wrote:
    There was a 12month screen replacement with Vodafone. Not sure it this is relavent to you now?

What's this now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see the August patches are now available on Vodafone.
    Mainly security stuff - no new features as far as I can see from the notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

crazy to see how much this phone has come down in the space of a year. The start of this thread people were talking of 899 new.

Im trying to sell my 5 month old p20 pro and im not holding out much hopf for more than 250 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

thehamo wrote: »
    crazy to see how much this phone has come down in the space of a year. The start of this thread people were talking of 899 new.

Im trying to sell my 5 month old p20 pro and im not holding out much hopf for more than 250 euro!

It was never 900. Could be gotten cheaper on launch and its about 18 months old and trump has ****ed Huawei if this goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

It was never 900. Could be gotten cheaper on launch and its about 18 months old and trump has ****ed Huawei if this goes on
    Don't forget the 300 euro headphones thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Have this phone over a year now.. still by far the best phone I've ever had... To this day people comment on the picture quality it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Would it be silly to buy this phone now or are the software updates decent enough? Just worried about space etc! Probably a stupid question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ams wrote: »
    Would it be silly to buy this phone now or are the software updates decent enough? Just worried about space etc! Probably a stupid question!

Great phone. Have it a year and zero problems. Amazing battery, camera and speed. No issues with software/updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I'm selling a pristine p20 pro if anyone is interested or knows someone who is!

Its locked to Tesco mobile, unlock code is 45 euro. Looking for 280. Only had the phone since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Is is just me or did the new update wipe out wireless projection to a Chromecast?

I was sure it worked with the stock software

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

18 months I have this phone now and its still a beast, battery is still excellent and it rivals the cameras of new smartphones, absolutely no need to upgrade this til it dies

Stacksey wrote: »
    18 months I have this phone now and its still a beast, battery is still excellent and it rivals the cameras of new smartphones, absolutely no need to upgrade this til it dies

Agreed. I've never been able to drain the battery fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

I’m with you guys Stacksey and Professor.

I had the chance to migrate over to my wife’s S9 but I was more than happy to stick with my Huawei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm on mobile app so impossible to search.....has anyone recommendations for unlock service as I need to sell mine. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm on mobile app so impossible to search.....has anyone recommendations for unlock service as I need to sell mine. Thanks in advance
    If you got it on three,it's probably unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Right then.

My P20 Pro has given great service but is being upgraded (P30 Pro). It runs perfectly but has an issue which is hurting it's value.

Here's a pic. of a replacement outer glass (inexpensive) which apparently can be separated from the lcd (which on my phone is undamaged and is quite expensive). Mine is cracked on the bottom under the home button where the material is really thin. Protective case didn't do it's job 100%.

huawei-p20-pro-front-glass-01__32880.1527155982.JPG

A video on the repair is here:-

Does anyone know a place who could you this job? It looks quite involved and skilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Is there anywhere I can still buy the p30 and get the free watch? I contacted Vodafone and Three and they both said they had none left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

mystic86 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can still buy the p30 and get the free watch? I contacted Vodafone and Three and they both said they had none left...

Haven't seen them being offered at all lately I'd expect they have moved on to a mate promotion or waiting for the new flagship to be announced later in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Any P20 Pro users have issues with interference on bluetooth audio. I'm using Anker SoundBuds Slim+.

If I put the phone in my pocket I get pretty bad interference and crackling on the audio. Most of the time I need to keep my phone in my hand or at least not in my pocket. I though the issue was the headphones and even returned then and got a new set from Amazon, but it's still happening.

I just recently got a Garmin watch that can store music and have started using that with the same headphones and I have no issues, so it looks like the issue is the P20 pro.

Anyone else notice the same and have a fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I had horrible issues with Creative Outlier Airs and my P20 Pro.

It improved a little when I turned AptX off in bluetooth settings (it seems the Anker ones have AptX also, worth trying), but was still so bad I returned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

maximoose wrote: »
    I had horrible issues with Creative Outlier Airs and my P20 Pro.

It improved a little when I turned AptX off in bluetooth settings (it seems the Anker ones have AptX also, worth trying), but was still so bad I returned them.

Did you get replacement headphones and have you any issues now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I was using Creative Outlier Ones before those without ever having issues, so returned the Airs for a refund and went back to the Ones - have had them about 2 years now and they are brilliant.

have had this beast for 2 years now but its nearly time to upgrade, sent vodafone an email about the p40 pro and they said they will have it listed for sale in the next few weeks but what a pain in the arse about no support for google services, what have people upgraded to?

have had this beast for 2 years now but its nearly time to upgrade, sent vodafone an email about the p40 pro and they said they will have it listed for sale in the next few weeks but what a pain in the arse about no support for google services, what have people upgraded to?

Interesting they said they are getting it, as I read they where committed to android Google phones somewhere.

I'm also now due an upgrade and phone on my list below I'm considering in some kind of order...

- P40 Pro (+) , but really need android auto though for maps and spotify
    - Xiaomi mi 10 Pro 5g
    - Oppo find x2 Pro

- Motorola Edge +
    - Honor 30s?
    - Wait for Mate 40
    - S20+ (ultra)

- Nubia Red magic 5g
    - Black shark 3 pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've had this for nearly two years too - due an upgrade during the summer.
    I don't think I could get a phone without Google services, though. I think the P40 is out for me.

I'm thinking of waiting til September for the new pixel or maybe the next OnePlus, I'll steer clear of Samsung anyway, I think they are very overrated and expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Iv'e been using the P20 Pro for 6 months now, excellent phone, great camera, all Google Apps and 128GB of storage, what's not to like, the price is great too compared to all the high end phones on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I've been with Huawei since the P8, so this will be my first non Huawei Phone since 2015. If things were normal, I'd be on the P4O/PLUS/PRO in a heartbeat, but without GMS it's a no no.

Not a fan of Samsung, I can't really say exactly why, its a combination of I don't like their styling, the feel of them, the UI and think they are over priced also

So yesterday, I hit the button on a Xiaomi Mi 10 pro from Amazon ES, €923.00 incl delivery, also includes a set of Xiaomi earpods and a xiaomi fitness tracker bracelet.

Delivery is Apr 22-30th, can't wait now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Heavily leaning to the P40 pro ,no Google apps doesn't bother me to much might be a gamble worth taking depending on longer term reviews,
    Anyone looking at the P40 pro +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say the P40 to me is the most desirable looking phone I've seen in a long time. Only thing I don't like is they have copied the latest thread of putting the camera in the top left hand corner like sammy and apple. Well, that just a minor gripe. But yeah, the P40 looking at youtube reviews looks amazing inside and out.

P.S I wonder if the latest Hwawai phones can be rooted and then put google services on it that way as a workaround.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have to say the P40 to me is the most desirable looking phone I've seen in a long time. Only thing I don't like is they have copied the latest thread of putting the camera in the top left hand corner like sammy and apple. Well, that just a minor gripe. But yeah, the P40 looking at youtube reviews looks amazing inside and out.

P.S I wonder if the latest Hwawai phones can be rooted and then put google services on it that way as a workaround.

yeah i reckon so, also there isnt an app thats listed in the app store that you cant get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

yeah i reckon so, also there isnt an app thats listed in the app store that you cant get

Defiantly not. You'd have to sideload it.

iHungry wrote: »

There use of the "+" got me excited there for a minute, but it for the additional items, not the phone model!

There RRP of 1308, is that including the price of the free items, I presume, as p40 pro RRP is 999?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Has anyone received the update to emui 10 for the p20 pro yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Mundo7976 wrote: »

No. Are we even going to get it?

Mundo7976 wrote: »

Last I saw somewhere on the Web, was its due sometime in May.

Think it was confirmed to customers in Germany or UK on huawei support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

It has been far too long to get this update and that is the end of Huawei for me, I wont be going with them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I thought it was meant to be end of march.
    However Im beginning to think we may not be get it at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

reni10 wrote: »
    It has been far too long to get this update and that is the end of Huawei for me, I wont be going with them again.

What's so special about this update that it would annoy you that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Was only looking at the thread saying I'll have my phone for a while yet.

Dropped and smashed screen, 200+ repair.... FML

Was only looking at the thread saying I'll have my phone for a while yet.

Dropped and smashed screen, 200+ repair.... FML

Unlucky. Still a great phone though. Will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

Unlucky. Still a great phone though. Will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

It's brilliant. I just can't justify the repair cost and it's unusable

Best phone I have had. Might just go P30

It's brilliant. I just can't justify the repair cost.

Best phone I have had. Might just gonP30

Yeah, I have the P20 pro. I looked at the specs on the P40 pro and apart from a bigger screen there isn't much point. Plus no google stuff.

I'm surprised you even got a quote. Are they still open for repairs?

Yeah, I have the P20 pro. I looked at the specs on the P40 pro and apart from a bigger screen there isn't much point. Plus no google stuff.

I'm surprised you even got a quote. Are they still open for repairs?

Yeah you can send it in. Slot of the quotes I tried was where you just put it in.

Think I'll be going to the p30 pro or the Pixel 3a.

• Advertisement
Advertisement