Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

How did you check the sim lock out of interest?

Dial *#*#2846579#*#*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

rai555 wrote: »
    Dial *#*#2846579#*#*

That worked, cheers!

Edit - Mine is unlocked also. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Dial *#*#2846579#*#*

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you interpret the returned info. What does lw_locked mean....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Anyone receive an unlocked one from Vodafone? I bought two but mine was locked and gave one to my brother and his was unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

have the phone since Friday also (along with the free Bose headphones). Been flat out using it, it's to replace my Galaxy S6

The phone is great, nice and slick. Couple of weird things so far -

1. Face unlock is dodgy - my bro picked up the phone and it unlocked for him - lol

2. Google maps is very very slow

* ps - the Bose QC 35 ii head phones are absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So can confirm as others have said there is a proper screen protector under the delivery strip, so there was no point in me keeping this on while getting glass protector ready.

I will probable switch to the glass later when more time and read up on application.

The included case is almost flush with cameras and only fraction of mm, if anything, up from surface.

Still only getting brief time with it while waiting for birthday next week, but still impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭A1404

Bought P20 pay as u go from Three yesterday and was surprised that the phone is unlocked to any network! Brilliant phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Raging I've missed the Vodafone headphones offer. Presume they wouldn't have store specific stock of them as a sweetner would they?

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Raging I've missed the Vodafone headphones offer. Presume they wouldn't have store specific stock of them as a sweetner would they?

That must be sweet one LOL , i'm sure they have family and friends :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

Rai555 the code you posted to check if a phone is sim locked. Does it work on all phones or a particular brand?

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

kilsmum wrote: »
    Rai555 the code you posted to check if a phone is sim locked. Does it work on all phones or a particular brand?

Kilsmum

I Googled about Huawei, I'm sure there are codes for service menu for every phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

rai555 wrote:
    I Googled about Huawei, I'm sure there are codes for service menu for every phone

Thanks. I tried it here and it didn't work on my phone. I'll Google them for mine. Thanks

Still getting things set-up on the phone but enjoying the experience so far.

The phone Clone worked great with the exception of the contacts. These were grayed out on the selection, so I had to use wifi direct to transfer the .CSV contact file.

No one has mentioned that there was a card in the Vodafone delivery to say the the screen is protected for 12 months for accidental damage. Did I read this right? This seems like the same advertised benefit for the S9 phones?

The on-board sound is incredible on this device, compared to the S7 and my older HTC boom sound phones. It come on a long way in 2 years from my last phone.

Also have the headphones sold already, as with my sony MDR1RBT and sennheiser momentum I choose the option to recover some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

My Spigen Rugged Amour case landed this morning but unfortunately it doesn't offer the same levels of protection it offered the cameras on my previous phones. Granted they didn't have such a pronounced camera bump but the ridge around the cut out is not high enough to take into account of the design on the rear of the case.

It's ranges from maybe 1-2mm of raised protection to completely flush with the lens.
    Otherwise it's a perfect case as per usual from Spigen. Hopefully they might redesign the rear to offer better protection in a future release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

My Spigen Rugged Amour case landed this morning but unfortunately it doesn't offer the same levels of protection it offered the cameras on my previous phones. Granted they didn't have such a pronounced camera bump but the ridge around the cut out is not high enough to take into account of the design on the rear of the case.

It's ranges from maybe 1mm of raised protection to completely flush with the lens.
    Otherwise it's a perfect case as per usual from Spigen. Hopefully they might redesign the rear to offer better protection in a future release.

I have my phone arriving today and case from amazon via parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

ForestFire wrote: »

The phone Clone worked great with the exception of the contacts. These were grayed out on the selection, so I had to use wifi direct to transfer the .CSV contact file.

No one has mentioned that there was a card in the Vodafone delivery to say the the screen is protected for 12 months for accidental damage. Did I read this right? This seems like the same advertised benefit for the S9 phones?

The on-board sound is incredible on this device, compared to the S7 and my older HTC boom sound phones. It come on a long way in 2 years from my last phone.

Also have the headphones sold already, as with my sony MDR1RBT and sennheiser momentum I choose the option to recover some money.

That's​ very interesting about the screen repair. I bought from three so I will recheck the packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Three don't offer the screen repair, only Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Great phone so far, definitely a step up from my Nexus 6p, ironically the Boards.ie app icon looks all over the shop

Stacksey wrote: »
    Great phone so far, definitely a step up from my Nexus 6p, ironically the Boards.ie app icon looks all over the shop

Got my p 20 Pro today. Already have one plus 5t so it had lot to live up to in terms of performance. Seems good so far. I took two comparable photos with both phones in same light and p20 Pro is a lot better. The face unlock works on p20 when you lift the phone which is nice. On the 5t you have to press power button.. The 5t is no slouch though. Don't think I'd kick either out of bed. Using the supplied gel case till spidgen arrives

Got my p 20 Pro today. Already have one plus 5t so it had lot to live up to in terms of performance. Seems good so far. I took two comparable photos with both phones in same light and p20 Pro is a lot better. The face unlock works on p20 when you lift the phone which is nice. On the 5t you have to press power button.. The 5t is no slouch though. Don't think I'd kick either out of bed. Using the supplied gel case till spidgen arrives

It's interesting with emui the p20 feels almost more apple than android

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If I pick one up the first thing I'll be doing is apply Nova or the official Google Now launcher to it.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If I pick one up the first thing I'll be doing is apply Nova or the official Google Now launcher to it.
    i normally do that to but might leave it for a while... im getting a little tired of launchers and installing extra stuff... maybe I should just buy an iphone :) I might if they released android auto or ios

I'd the same card in mine saying for the screen repair so I'm assuming it applies

Just an FYI for people, I ordered online yesterday and collected today from Grafton Street and was handed the headphones with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just an FYI for people, I ordered online yesterday and collected today from Grafton Street and was handed the headphones with it

Hold on now is this ready to go ?.

Do you mean pay as you go? No it was billpay

I know three have said 30 days for headphones but anyone an indication it might be sooner?

I know three have said 30 days for headphones but anyone an indication it might be sooner?
    Hi folks,
    One little thing with the p20 pro - sometimes when I swipe left from the home screen my google now cards are empty... anyone else get this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I contacted Carphone Warehouse here to see if they include the P20 Pro in their current promotion but they've yet to get back to me.
    I know they are stocking the P20 and P20 lite.
    They trumpet that they stock all the vodafone range of phones but that appears to be an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Eoghan_2 wrote:

Which network?

Sorry was Vodafone, deal isn't listed on their website anymore but still gave them to me

Honor 10 release event today

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/19/17255944/honor-10-announced-specs-price-release-date

won't have the 3 lenses but should be available for about 400 euro soon enough if anyone doesn't want to stretch to the P20 / P20 Pro but get a lot of the features in maybe arguably (personal preference) a more attractive design.

camera perf should still be decent.

glasso wrote: »
    Honor 10 release event today

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/19/17255944/honor-10-announced-specs-price-release-date

won't have the 3 lenses but should be available for about 400 euro soon enough if anyone doesn't want to stretch to the P20 / P20 Pro but get a lot of the features in maybe arguably (personal preference) a more attractive design.

camera perf should still be decent.

Looks decent, but I'm not a fan of these gimmicky colours :confused::confused:

rizzee wrote: »
    Looks decent, but I'm not a fan of these gimmicky colours :confused::confused:

will have some normal-ish colour options

see the clickable gallery here

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/honor/144221-another-great-honor-10-leak-shows-different-colours-and-specs

the black option actually looks cool imo

144221-phones-news-another-great-honor-10-leak-shows-different-colours-and-specs-image3-y6ofjfgcdv.png

glasso wrote: »
    will have some normal-ish colour options

see the clickable gallery here

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/honor/144221-another-great-honor-10-leak-shows-different-colours-and-specs

the black option actually looks cool imo

144221-phones-news-another-great-honor-10-leak-shows-different-colours-and-specs-image3-y6ofjfgcdv.png

Colour's of phones pretty irrelevant seeing as most people just cover them with a case anyway

• Advertisement

Having a strange problem with the p20 Pro. I'm getting no missed call notifications on the phone at all. They appear on my watch fine but absolutely nothing in the status bar. Is anyone having a similar issue?

And slightly related, the phone just seems to decide on its own when it wants to show any notifications on the lock screen.

No amount of Googling is helping and no amount of messing with battery management settings is helping either.

Are you sure an option isn't turned on to show notifications on the watch only?

rizzee wrote: »
    Are you sure an option isn't turned on to show notifications on the watch only?

I'll double check when I have a chance but I'd be 99% sure there isn't.

The first issue is only with missed call notifications, all other notifications are showing in the top bar and pull down menu.

The 2nd issue seems to be random and the phone will show lock screen notifications when it feels like it.

Also to note this is happening using emui and nova.

Have to say the camera on the p20 pro is amazing.. totally different league to the one plus 5t I had..it's unreal in low light situations.. I'm not that into photos but making a friend who has a one plus 5 very restless re the camera

Have to say the camera on the p20 pro is amazing.. totally different league to the one plus 5t I had..it's unreal in low light situations.. I'm not that into photos but making a friend who has a one plus 5 very restless re the camera
    Does anyone have any issues with phone charging while using Android auto in car? My one plus used to charge pretty quickly when using Android auto. Don't think my p20 pro did at all on drive to work today
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement

interesting results on p20 vs p20 pro on the camera side of things - not the result that you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYI19AzFvJc

Anyone received earphones? Close to 14 days window to return phone

Anyone received earphones? Close to 14 days window to return phone

What provider did you get them with.

Ring them and ask them for a clear answer if you are getting them or not.

If they say you are, and you finally do not get them, then you should be able to return everything as they have not given you what they agreed to, as part of the initial sale agreement, i. e. Returning goods under a different law to the 14 day law.

What provider did you get them with.

Ring them and ask them for a clear answer if you are getting them or not.

If they say you are, and you finally do not get them, then you should be able to return everything as they have not given you what they agreed to, as part of the initial sale agreement, i. e. Returning goods under a different law to the 14 day law.

It is from Three.ie , i am sure thay have no intention to flog all those who ordered but i'm sure i'm not alone who hate to be in a limbo

It is from Three.ie , i am sure thay have no intention to flog all those who ordered but i'm sure i'm not alone who hate to be in a limbo

I've written gaurantees via Twitter direct message an board's message from three that I'll get the earphones..can't imagine they will arrive day 30. Other operators were dispatching with phone. If for some reason I don't get them due to stock levels or something I'd expect value if them applied in credit to my account. In fairness three have been very helpful so far. Loving the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Larek

Hi there,
    Does anyone know if P20 Pro will be available in Twilight colour version in Ireland (also when it might happen)?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Larek wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know if P20 Pro will be available in Twilight colour version in Ireland (also when it might happen)?

Thanks

I think its delayed everywhere. I had one on pre order from Europe and it was meant to ship last week but no tracking number and no real idea when it will be sent. Suggestions it will be available first week in may but could be just another expected date.

Look around, nowhere is selling it, that’s truly in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Girlfriend got the p20 pro last week. I got myself the mate 10 Pro last week as well.

Have used both and I like the mate 10 Pro more then the p20 pro as rather have my full screen and not the display with the notch.

Camera I can't really tell much of a difference at all.

Other then that I paid 450 euros for the mate 10 Pro I am extramly impressed with it.

Battery doesn't seem nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Anyone else the same?

Battery doesn't seem nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Anyone else the same?

Yes I tend to agree. The main difference I think is screen brightness.. I'm using auto brightness on p20. My one plus 5t had smaller battery and last same.. I ran the screen much dimmer though

• Advertisement
Advertisement