Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's fairly delighted with it.
    I was going to go for either the standard or Pro model but I'm intrigued by the 7 plus from Nokia and the upcoming X series, so I'll the togs on and the wits about me until the latter is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Anyone with the p20 Pro and bose quiet comfort Bluetooth headphones know how to set the phone to use the higher quality aac Bluetooth streaming codec?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sth_safal

Hi folks,
    Anyone with the p20 Pro and bose quiet comfort Bluetooth headphones know how to set the phone to use the higher quality aac Bluetooth streaming codec?
    Thanks,
    Mick

You can do that by enabling developer options.

Go to Setting>System>About
    Tap Build Number Multiple times(around 5 I guess)
    That should enable developer option in Settings>System

If you scroll down in developer options, you should be able to find Bluetooth Audio Codec where you can choose AAC or APTX HD.

sth_safal wrote: »
    You can do that by enabling developer options.

Go to Setting>System>About
    Tap Build Number Multiple times(around 5 I guess)
    That should enable developer option in Settings>System

If you scroll down in developer options, you should be able to find Bluetooth Audio Codec where you can choose AAC or APTX HD.
    Doesn't work.. Seems to default back to sbc

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Doesn't work.. Seems to default back to sbc

Supposedly they support both AAC and SBC

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Which-Bluetooth-Codecs-does-QC35-support/m-p/63781#M10768

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭iHungry

I just did a software update on my pro. I think it's just a security update

iHungry wrote: »
    I just did a software update on my pro. I think it's just a security update

Which network are you using? No update here. Version 8.1.0 on three

I have the p20 lite, I am trying to connect it to my TV, I used to plug my HTC into the TV with a Hdmi to USB-c cable & it worked straight away.
    This hauwei doesn't seem to be connecting? Doesnt even show on the phone that anything is connected?
    Any help? Am I missing something?

Which network are you using? No update here. Version 8.1.0 on three

I'm on three too. My phone still says 8.1.0

• Advertisement

Security patch says 1st April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

How's the battery life holding up 1 month on? (Interested in Pro in particular)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

rizzee wrote: »
    How's the battery life holding up 1 month on? (Interested in Pro in particular)

So far so good for me anyway. I'll regularly go to bed in the evening still with 40-50% left. That would be with just normal use I suppose though. Wifi and data on, Bluetooth on, GPS on, browsing, some YouTube, reading on play books or kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Aac is better?

Would like to know this, before changing codec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

anyone have a p20 pro know if there is dual messenger on it? i use it regular on the Note 5 and thinking of a trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Yeah it supports it

I'm a little underwhelmed by the battery life which is making me have a bit of buyers remorse over not having wireless charging

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    I'm a little underwhelmed by the battery life which is making me have a bit of buyers remorse over not having wireless charging

I'm a little disappointed to but wireless charging is so slow I'd never bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stevenh

Does anyone know if and where I could find P20's ROM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all,

Need a new phone as the P9 battery is suddenly fecked. Had it about 18 months now and time to upgrade anyway. In Brussels the last few days and the likes of the WiFi wouldn't turn off, the battery usage details wouldn't open and I had to force the phone to restart as it wouldn't turn off.

Now back home it seems to die overnight and takes forever to charge...

Don't really want to spend €500-600 on a phone so was looking at the P20 Lite, which apparently is only available on 3 Bill Pay? I can get it on Amazon.de for €330 shipped.

The CPU and GPU aren't as fast as the P9 though and I use Android Auto a lot which can be sluggish at times so I don't really want to downgrade spec, I can get the P20 for €549 on Amazon. Someone said 3 are unlocked, it's €560 there. Can anyone confirm this? It would be convenient for warranty issues, but I'm weary of awful network branding/slow updates.

Decisions, decisions. Trying to think if the better spec is worth the price. The P8 Lite 2017 my sister has and the P9 Lite the GF has are both ****e, painfully slow and laggy so I'm not sure about getting the P20 Lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

DaveyDave wrote:
    The CPU and GPU aren't as fast as the P9 though and I use Android Auto a lot which can be sluggish at times so I don't really want to downgrade spec, I can get the P20 for €549 on Amazon. Someone said 3 are unlocked, it's €560 there. Can anyone confirm this? It would be convenient for warranty issues, but I'm weary of awful network branding/slow updates.

Get a mate 10 Pro, same processor as the P20 Pro, uses a 4000mah battery too but provides better battery life in tests. 559e brand new and sealed on adverts. The major difference seems to be the night cam, which of course is better on the P20 pro

Stevenh wrote:
    Does anyone know if and where I could find P20's ROM?

Visit XDA forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Ordered a black P20 on Amazon last night, looking forward to it arriving next week :)

Battery drain on my P9 went from having to charge during the day of heavy use to dying over night and barely lasting a few hours. Wasn't this bad just 2 weeks ago.

Died on ultra battery saver at 10% in about 30 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

Do 3 cameras make any difference in the dark?
    Comparing to 10 model

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote:
    Ordered a black P20 on Amazon last night, looking forward to it arriving next week

If you want battery, should have gone for the mate 10 over the P20
    taheen wrote:
    Do 3 cameras make any difference in the dark? Comparing to 10 model

Definitely, just watch the reviews on YouTube.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

At what point in their lifecycle do these new phones start reducing price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

At what point in their lifecycle do these new phones start reducing price wise?

Pretty much the moment they are opened and taken out of the packaging would take about 10 euro off them, and then gradually every month or so the price would drop. Less so for Apple devices then Android devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh woops. Well that can be any time really usually about 2 months in you might see a few sales online depending on how well they are selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

Did anyone else receive 2 x headphone from Three? A guy in work just got a second pair this morning via Nightline. He already got one on May 7th. He only bought one P20 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Happy days. Sell them on :D

Can anyone confirm if the P20 on 3 is actually unlocked as someone else mentioned?

The one I bought on Amazon for €540 is suddenly out of stock with no expected date back in stock. All the other ones in that price range don't ship to Ireland and I'm not to keen of getting one shipped over with Parcel Motel in case I need to return it for a fault.

So difficult to buy a phone, I just don't want to spend €150 more to get it on Eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My girlfriend still has not got her headphones after she got the txt that she will get a pair..

Three are a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the P20 on 3 is actually unlocked as someone else mentioned?

The one I bought on Amazon for €540 is suddenly out of stock with no expected date back in stock. All the other ones in that price range don't ship to Ireland and I'm not to keen of getting one shipped over with Parcel Motel in case I need to return it for a fault.

So difficult to buy a phone, I just don't want to spend €150 more to get it on Eir.

Mine was unlocked from 3

Can I remove the pre-installed screen protector on the P20 Pro, there's some air bubbles after appearing in it.

I've never put a screen protector on a phone before is it easy to do without making a balls of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

The first batch (pre-order and week 1 orders) were definitely unlocked from Three. This might have changed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »
    This is bad news. Huawei will soon no longer offer bootloader unlocks for their devices!

https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/999621512792600576

Reddit Discussion.

:(

Yup bootloader thing is silly. Especially after Honor giving out 1000 devices to us devs and now they can't even unlock the bootloader lol

Would anyone like a Spigen Rugged Armor case for the P20?

I've cancelled my P20 on Amazon, now the seller miraculously has stock and jacked the price up €50. I've ordered a 128GB Honor 10 for €100 less as it's pretty much the same phone just with a slightly less fancy camera :)

I've a Spigen case on the way so if anyone wants it let me know, once it arrives I'll sort out sending it off to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone know what version of the firmware they have, ideally Vodafone.
    Apparently there is a touchscreen lag issue with was recently fixed.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/horrible-touchscreen-latency-lag-delay-t3774567/page14

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭monster1

Just out from an eir store to upgrade to the p20 Pro. They said its out of stock until July 😮 is there a stock shortage?

monster1 wrote: »
    Just out from an eir store to upgrade to the p20 Pro. They said its out of stock until July 😮 is there a stock shortage?

Have you tried Carphone Warehouse? Not uncommon for Eir to be out of stock of phones.

My sister, Mam and the GF had to get Huawei phones from Carphone Warehouse because Eir didn't have any stock.

Have you tried Carphone Warehouse? Not uncommon for Eir to be out of stock of phones.

My sister, Mam and the GF had to get Huawei phones from Carphone Warehouse because Eir didn't have any stock.

Don't think the do the pro?

monster1 wrote: »
    Don't think the do the pro?

Ah, it seems they don't. Strange.

Ah, it seems they don't. Strange.

They do, just out of stock

https://www.eir.ie/store/mobile/phones/bill-pay/huawei-p20-pro/

There have been a lot of stock issues across all the networks

tedpan wrote: »

No, carphone warehouse don't carry it. They just have the p20

tedpan wrote: »

No, carphone warehouse don't carry it. They just have the p20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Flaccus wrote: »
    Anyone know what version of the firmware they have, ideally Vodafone.
    Apparently there is a touchscreen lag issue with was recently fixed.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/horrible-touchscreen-latency-lag-delay-t3774567/page14

CTL-L09 8.1.0.120(C432)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 bafled

Mine is unlocked from Three and I ordered after release date

Advertisement