Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from Ray D'Arcy radio show thread

Options
  • 27-03-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am appealing being banned from posting in the Ray D'Arcy thread for the accusation of trolling.

I regularly post in reply to claims made by other posters in the Ray D'Arcy forum.

I got a message today to say I was banned from posting in the thread.

Yet posters who regularly post ignorant insulting comments do not get banned.

For example a few weeks ago, a poster wrote a comment, which seems to me, is a libelous statement, written as if it is fact, not written as an opinion, accusing Dee Forbes of RTE, of sexism in the hiring of TV presenters:
    God, I'm not sure that the show is actually deserving of all the pages of text recently, and the manifestos from horseburger. It seems like there is more thought put in to the show on this thread than there is on the actual show itself.

I think it's shameful that D'Arcy got Brendan O'Connor kicked off the Saturday Night Show so that he could have the show for himself, and now feels that he can take "time off in lieu" and bring in the "beast from the east" to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off. It seems like RTE always get the worst deal for the license payer. It should have been put to him "Ray, if you're working the Saturday Night show, there is no taking time off the radio show in lieu as this may affect the radio show"

I'd say with Dee Forbes sexist policy on hiring of presenters there is little chance of getting Brendan back now anyway. If D'Arcy should ever leave the Saturday night TV show, that spot will no doubt be given to a woman. Probably given to Miriam, to tell some two bit actress how lovely her dress is.

I'll be honest. The future for RTE TV and radio is bleaky. "RTE, supporting the mediocre".

I replied as follows, giving an example where, an accusation of sexism, was successfully legally challenged:
    How do you know that Ray D'Arcy is responsible for Brendan O'Connor, no longer presenting a live show on RTE on Saturday nights.

Perhaps Brendan O'Connor no longer presents a live show on Saturday nights, because of the way he handled the live interview with Rory O'Neill in January 2014, which ended up in RTE paying 80,000 euros, to settle a legal action taken against RTE?

Brendan O'Connor, during that live interview, did not clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.

Brendan O'Connor did try and counter what Rory O'Neill stated about John Waters, in that interview, but I think, it ended up sounding like he agreed with Rory O'Neill, regarding Rory O'Neill's comments about homophobia and the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.

I think, the problem was, that Brendan O'Connor, didn't clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and all the people mentioned by Rory O'Neill, regarding the accusation of homophobia.

I think, that might be why RTE paid compensation, rather than contest the legal action, that was taken by John Waters, and the legal action taken by members of the Iona Institute.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b6rru

I suspect that you do not know, what the reasons are, for Ray D'Arcy, not presenting the radio show, for example this week.

How do you know that he "feels that he can take "time off in lieu"" and "bring" another presenter "to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off"?

How do you know, that Ray D'Arcy takes time off presenting the radio show, as a result of him presenting the TV show?

How do you know that Dee Forbes has a "sexist policy on hiring of presenters"?

What's wrong with TV presenters, not being men?

Perhaps, in your comment, in the way that you have written as fact, that Dee Forbes, has a "sexist policy" regading the of hiring television presenters on RTE, you are defaming Dee Forbes, by accusing Dee Forbes of sexism?

I reference this item regarding a successful action taken by Cat Stevens in 2008:

The text below, is on page 7 in this item:

http://catalogue.pearsoned.co.uk/assets/hip/gb/hip_gb_pearsonhighered/samplechapter/140825414X.pdf

"Former pop star Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) accepted an out-of-court settlement from news agency WENN in 2008, over a story claiming that he was sexist and bigoted. Mr Islam is a Muslim and the story claimed that he refused to speak to any woman who was not wearing a veil. The story was said to have caused distress in painting him as sexist, and presenting a distorted picture of his religious views".

Most of the posts in the Ray D'Arcy thread, are snide, smart assed unconstructive comments, making immature remarks about Ray D'Arcy and guests on the show.

I post replies in response to these posts, yet I get warnings and infractions.

Some posters have received infractions, some got banned, but because I reply challenging what is claimed by posters, they complain about my posts and then the moderators act on the complaints.

I get the impression that moderators are not reading the thread thoroughly, but only acting on certain posts.

The other day, I highlighted a number of posts that are completely off topic, including a post that suggests that Ray D'Arcy's wife endorses discrimination towards men:
    Yes, it was really wonderful when I was banned. It really was.

Rather than discuss the programme - and things like the running order of the show, and contrasting the running order of the programme and the length of each item featured on the show, with items on other afternoon shows on different radio stations - there were amazing, really worthwhile posts, poking fun at his pronunciation of Irish, and people speculating where his wife might like to go, on holiday. There was also post by a poster, bitching about the Women's Marathon, unfairly speculating that Ray D'Arcy's wife endorses discrimination towards men.
    goochy wrote: »
    womens marathon makes me sick - imagine if we had a mens marathon - some feminazis actually have a problem with men dressed as women running for charity . All double standards - we want equality but only when it suits us and we can discriminate against men not other way round down. Not surprised Jenny does it.

regards
    horseburger.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

horseburger, I’m happy to help you with this, but please give the Radio mods a chance to get back to you first. Mods are volunteers and it can sometimes take a day or two for them to get back to you. If you are still unclear at that point about the details of your thread ban or you haven't heard back, let me know and I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

horseburger, I’m happy to help you with this, but please give the Radio mods a chance to get back to you first. Mods are volunteers and it can sometimes take a day or two for them to get back to you. If you are still unclear at that point about the details of your thread ban or you haven't heard back, let me know and I'll look into it.

Hi Sad Professor

thanks for your reply.

The moderator that sent me the pm, indicated that he/she wasn't going to reply to me, and directed me to the Dispute Resolution section,

If you can help, I'd appreciate that

regards
    horseburger

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The mod got it wrong. Thread bans are not dealt with in the Dispute Resolution forum. Please try engaging with the mod again. Direct them to this post if they are unclear as to what does/does not go to DRF.

If you can't resolve the issue with the mod, please PM Sad Professor or another CMod.

tHB

hi

Yes, the moderator Sad Professor mentioned that he would be happy to help me with this

regards
    horseburger

I thought this exchange of posts, between the poster goochy, and myself, would be a good example of the type of bitchy snide comments that are made about Ray D'Arcy, that have nothing to do with the show.

goochy was criticizing Ray D'Arcy for attending his father's month's mind, rather unfairly, in my opinion:
    I know where you are coming from , I don't go to mass regularly and go to funerals but I don't go on national radio to vilify the church.

we are all hypocrites I agree , I was just pointing his hypocrisy - will he go back to knocking the church when time settles after the funeral ?
    What you are saying is, that you think that Ray D'Arcy is a hypocrite, for attending his father's funeral, despite not going to Mass regularly, but you also think that you are a hypocrite.

You think it's ok, for you to be a hypocrite, but not Ray D'Arcy.

Great argument.
    I don't go on national radio and lambast the church when I am supposed to be neutral - I don't ever lambast the church and don't get paid €400k to be a hypocrite

you must be connected to him - you will back him no matter what.
    Your issue is that he attended his father's funeral, and month's mind, in a church. You said you wished that the priest told him to "f off".

You stated that you are also a hypocrite, for attending funerals, but not having a religious faith, and not attending Mass regularly.

By your logic, the priests who officiate at the funerals, that you attend, should also tell you to "f off".
    you fool of a man , I don't go on national radio to lambast the church like he does so why would the priest tell me to f off ?!!
    Your issue was about Ray D'Arcy attending a religious funeral, a funeral that is based on a religious faith, that he does not follow. Your gripe with Ray D'Arcy is about him attending a religious funeral and month's mind, in memory of his father.

You issue is about Ray D'Arcy attending a Mass that is based on a religious faith, in which he does not believe.

On that basis, you stated that you would have liked the priest at that month's mind Mass, to have requested that Ray D'Arcy "f off".

You stated that you attend religious funerals. You stated, that you are a hypocrite, for doing so, because you do not have a belief in that religious faith.

You said "we are all hypocrites".

You suggested, that the priest would be entitled to request, that Ray D'Arcy "f off" for attending a religious funeral, in a church.

You stated this, on the basis, that the ceremony is related to having a belief in a religious faith, a faith which Ray D'Arcy has stated, that he does not have.

You have stated, that you are a hypocrite, on the basis that you have attended funerals in a church, but don't attend Mass regularly.

By your logic - of accusing Ray D'Arcy of being a hypocrite, for attending a religious ceremony, based on a religious faith, in which neither you, or Ray D'Arcy, believe - a priest could also tell you to "f off", for attending religious funerals in a church - funerals that are centred around having a religious faith.

I notice, that once again, you assume, that you can speak on behalf of other forum users, by stating "we are all hypocrites":
    i never said I don't believe - please read these words clearly - I DO NOT USE A NATIONAL RADIO SHOW AS A PLATFORM TO CONDEMN THE CHURCH -
    If you do believe in religion, and have a religious faith, you had no reason to declare that you are a hypocrite, for attending a religious funeral.

I find your responses to me, quite amusing, because initially, when sweetmaggie replied to you, defending Ray D'Arcy's right to attend a Mass in his father's memory, I was going to suggest, that your insulting and disrespectful remark, about Ray D'Arcy, was no worse than comments that have been made, by others on boards.ie, for example, where he has been called things like;

"tosser":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76304948&postcount=2589

"a bit of a prick":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539355&postcount=33

"Because he's just pure painful/up his own asre to listen to":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539041&postcount=3

"a poxy interviewer":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539138&postcount=12

"an idiot":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97845241&postcount=2857

"sh1t":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539149&postcount=13

Some of the above posts are included in this thread titled:

"Why does everybody hate Ray D'Arcy all of a sudden"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590980

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I checked in with the Radio mods and pc7 said they pm’d you this morning.

I checked in with the Radio mods and pc7 said they pm’d you this morning.

hi Sad Professor

Indeed, that it correct.

I just find that there's a huge inconsistency in the way the thread is moderated.

I get banned for replying to posters making ignorant comments, for example the posts by goochy above, and then the moderators post reassuring comments in the thread, assuring the other posters that I won't be posting in the thread anymore.
    pc7 wrote: »
    Mod Note

Thread reopened, a few cards issued, please don't resort to personal abuse or back seat modding. Horseburger is now thread banned at this stage. Please get back to discussing the show.

Thanks
    Radio Mods.

What's that about - a supposedly independent moderator reassuring other posters that they won't need to worry about me, questioning their ignorant comments?

I was also accused of trolling for replying to posters who make ignorant comments about guests on the show.

In a number of cases I disproved claims made by posters in the thread, for example in a recent interview with author Lisa McInerney, one poster suggested that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect in a question that he asked her:
    I don't take the insults made about Ray D'Arcy personally.

The issue is, that much of the insulting comments, are just insulting comments, and can be disproved. For example, recently, when he was interviewing Lisa McInerney, someone posted a comment here, suggesting that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect, in a question he had asked her.

A poster, named citykat, who posted while the interview was broadcast live, tried to suggest that Ray D'Arcy was wrong in suggesting, in the interview with Lisa McInerney, that she was the eldest child, of her mother.

During the interview, citykat posted on the forum, inaccurately suggesting, that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect in the question that he had asked.

citykat posted the following:

"Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest... "
    citykat wrote: »
    Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105818072&postcount=7680

Ray D'Arcy was technically correct, in saying that Lisa McInerney was the eldest child, of her mother. When Lisa McInerney said that she was the youngest child, she was referring to the household, where she was brought up by her grandparents, where her siblings were her aunts and uncles. She confirmed this, during the interview.

Posters, very often, don't let accuracy, get in the way of smart-assed-ness, in their efforts, to find fault with Ray D'Arcy.

Here are the links, to the audio, and the facebook video, of the Lisa McInerney interview. It is clear that Ray D'Arcy was correct in what he asked her.

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21300217_19148_12-01-2018_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2018/0112/932880-ray-darcy-friday-12-january-2018/

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1615981775126186/

Another example of silly comments, is where, a poster who frequents this thread, in what could only be, an attempt at smart assery, declared, in the discussion about the Ray D'Arcy tv show, that Ray D'Arcy had a "creepy head".[/QUOTE]

Here is another example:
    citykat wrote: »
    I imagine D'Arcy is not a big fan of burgers. If he was though he'd surely be partial to a bit of horse burger.
    You are incorrect.

Ray D'Arcy spoke positively about a recipe for spicy lamb burgers, on Tuesday 17th May 2016, at the five minute 50 second mark on the show, and on the page for the show, a link to the particular recipe is included:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20989407_19148_17-05-2016_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2016/0517/789046-ray-darcy-tuesday-17-may-2016/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicedlambburgerswit_86435

I meant to include goochy's first post regarding Ray D'Arcy's father's months mind, in my earlier post, but here it is, in all its resplendent glory.

As you will see, it is decidedly distasteful:
    Ray goes to his fathers months mind , what a hypocrite - wish priest told to him to f off .

It is inconsistent of moderators to permit this sort of discourse, in my opinion, and sanction me for replying to these comments. Do moderators not expect that someone might feel inclined to respond to it?

Would you agree?

Would pc7 consider that any of goochy's ignorant comments, about Ray D'Arcy's attendance of his fathers month's mind, fall under the remit of discussing the show?

regards
    horseburger

Sorry, but horseburger, but I'm not wading through all that. I don't read the Ray D'Arcy thread nor do I have any intention of starting. The topic of the thread was your thread ban. I assume the mod has now explained the details of what this involves and why you were banned. What's the issue that you want me to help you with? Preferably in a single sentence.

Edit: PM me with any response to this please, it's easier. Only post back here if you want to talk to an Admin.

Just noticed this comment from goochy on the Ray D'Arcy radio show forum:

Does this comment by goochy remarking that he no longer fancies Deirdre O'Kane, fall under the remit of discussing the Ray D'Arcy show?
    used to like Deidre o kane and fancy her but now shes going on with all this feminist/ women being put upon thing - I am not liking her so much.

Advertisement