Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from posting in Ray D'Arcy radio show thread

Options
  • 27-03-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Hello

I was instructed to post an appeal in the Dispute Resolutions forum.

I did but the post was moved, so I am posting here again.

I am appealing being banned from posting in the Ray D'Arcy thread for the accusation of trolling.

I regularly post in reply to claims made by other posters in the Ray D'Arcy forum.

I got a message today to say I was banned from posting in the thread.

Yet posters who regularly post ignorant insulting comments do not get banned.

For example a few weeks ago, a poster wrote a comment, which seems to me, is a libelous statement, written as if it is fact, not written as an opinion, accusing Dee Forbes of RTE, of sexism in the hiring of TV presenters:
    God, I'm not sure that the show is actually deserving of all the pages of text recently, and the manifestos from horseburger. It seems like there is more thought put in to the show on this thread than there is on the actual show itself.
    I think it's shameful that D'Arcy got Brendan O'Connor kicked off the Saturday Night Show so that he could have the show for himself, and now feels that he can take "time off in lieu" and bring in the "beast from the east" to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off. It seems like RTE always get the worst deal for the license payer. It should have been put to him "Ray, if you're working the Saturday Night show, there is no taking time off the radio show in lieu as this may affect the radio show"
    I'd say with Dee Forbes sexist policy on hiring of presenters there is little chance of getting Brendan back now anyway. If D'Arcy should ever leave the Saturday night TV show, that spot will no doubt be given to a woman. Probably given to Miriam, to tell some two bit actress how lovely her dress is.
    I'll be honest. The future for RTE TV and radio is bleaky. "RTE, supporting the mediocre".
    I replied as follows, giving an example where, an accusation of sexism, was successfully legally challenged:
    How do you know that Ray D'Arcy is responsible for Brendan O'Connor, no longer presenting a live show on RTE on Saturday nights.
    Perhaps Brendan O'Connor no longer presents a live show on Saturday nights, because of the way he handled the live interview with Rory O'Neill in January 2014, which ended up in RTE paying 80,000 euros, to settle a legal action taken against RTE?
    Brendan O'Connor, during that live interview, did not clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.
    Brendan O'Connor did try and counter what Rory O'Neill stated about John Waters, in that interview, but I think, it ended up sounding like he agreed with Rory O'Neill, regarding Rory O'Neill's comments about homophobia and the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.
    I think, the problem was, that Brendan O'Connor, didn't clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and all the people mentioned by Rory O'Neill, regarding the accusation of homophobia.
    I think, that might be why RTE paid compensation, rather than contest the legal action, that was taken by John Waters, and the legal action taken by members of the Iona Institute.
    [URL="[URL]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b6rru"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b6rru[/URL[/URL]]
    I suspect that you do not know, what the reasons are, for Ray D'Arcy, not presenting the radio show, for example this week.
    How do you know that he "feels that he can take "time off in lieu"" and "bring" another presenter "to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off"?
    How do you know, that Ray D'Arcy takes time off presenting the radio show, as a result of him presenting the TV show?
    How do you know that Dee Forbes has a "sexist policy on hiring of presenters"?
    What's wrong with TV presenters, not being men?
    Perhaps, in your comment, in the way that you have written as fact, that Dee Forbes, has a "sexist policy" regading the of hiring television presenters on RTE, you are defaming Dee Forbes, by accusing Dee Forbes of sexism?
    I reference this item regarding a successful action taken by Cat Stevens in 2008:
    The text below, is on page 7 in this item:
    [URL="[URL]http://catalogue.pearsoned.co.uk/assets/hip/gb/hip_gb_pearsonhighered/samplechapter/140825414X.pdf"]http://catalogue.pearsoned.co.uk/assets/hip/gb/hip_gb_pearsonhighered/samplechapter/140825414X.pdf[/URL[/URL]]
    "Former pop star Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) accepted an out-of-court settlement from news agency WENN in 2008, over a story claiming that he was sexist and bigoted. Mr Islam is a Muslim and the story claimed that he refused to speak to any woman who was not wearing a veil. The story was said to have caused distress in painting him as sexist, and presenting a distorted picture of his religious views".

Most of the posts in the Ray D'Arcy thread, are snide, smart assed unconstructive comments, making immature remarks about Ray D'Arcy and guests on the show.

I post replies in response to these posts, yet I get warnings and infractions.

Some posters have received infractions, some got banned, but because I reply challenging what is claimed by posters, they complain about my posts and then the moderators act on the complaints.

I get the impression that moderators are not reading the thread thoroughly, but only acting on certain posts.

The other day, I highlighted a number of posts that are completely off topic, including a post that suggests that Ray D'Arcy's wife endorses discrimination towards men:
    Yes, it was really wonderful when I was banned. It really was.
    Rather than discuss the programme - and things like the running order of the show, and contrasting the running order of the programme and the length of each item featured on the show, with items on other afternoon shows on different radio stations - there were amazing, really worthwhile posts, poking fun at his pronunciation of Irish, and people speculating where his wife might like to go, on holiday. There was also post by a poster, bitching about the Women's Marathon, unfairly speculating that Ray D'Arcy's wife endorses discrimination towards men.
    goochy wrote: »
    womens marathon makes me sick - imagine if we had a mens marathon - some feminazis actually have a problem with men dressed as women running for charity . All double standards - we want equality but only when it suits us and we can discriminate against men not other way round down. Not surprised Jenny does it.

regards
    horseburger.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your first thread was already moved to the right place. Or are you meant to be contesting the infraction you've received?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Spear wrote: »
    Your first thread was already moved to the right place. Or are you meant to be contesting the infraction you've received?

hello Spear

Indeed, I am appealing my being banned from posting in the Ray D'Arcy thread.

I was instructed by a moderator, that if I wish to appeal the ban, that I pursue the appeal in the Dispute Resolutions forum.

regards
    horseburger

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DRP is only for forum bans and infractions, not thread bans. Hence your first thread was moved to the Helpdesk. The infraction can be covered here, but not a thread ban. Whoever suggested contesting a thread ban here is misinformed and misinformed you if that's the case.

DRP is only for forum bans and infractions, not thread bans. Hence your first thread was moved to the Helpdesk. The infraction can be covered here, but not a thread ban. Whoever suggested contesting a thread ban here is misinformed and misinformed you if that's the case.

hi Spear,

thanks for your reply

this is the note I received from the moderator in question:

"Horseburger, the mods have reviewed the thread and you are banned from posting in the D'arcy thread going forward. I will not be replying to this message, if you wish please take it to Dispute Resolution."

Do you know if I am banned from posting in any new threads that may be started about the Ray D'Arcy radio show?

If that thread ends up reaching a limit in the number of posts, am I permitted to post in any new threads that may be started?

regards
    horseburger

I can't speak for the mod in question, and won't attempt to. If you need any clarification you'll need to discuss that with them. I'm only here to keep the DRP on track. Do you wish to dispute the infraction received?

• Advertisement

I can't speak for the mod in question, and won't attempt to. If you need any clarification you'll need to discuss that with them. I'm only here to keep the DRP on track. Do you wish to dispute the infraction received?

hi Spear,

Yes, I would like to dispute and appeal the ban,

I was just following the moderator's instruction by posting it in the Dispute Resolution section.

I didn't realise the moderator didn't know that he/she gave me incorrect advice in terms of challenging the ban.:)

What is the next step, does another moderator look in to my request for an appeal of the ban?

regards
    horseburger

A cat mod would examine the issue. There should be a flowchart at the top of the forum/thread with the process. It may not be visible on mobile last I recall.

thanks for your reply,

hopefully the Cat Mod, will understand my perspective.

regards
    horseburger

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes, I would like to dispute and appeal the ban,

You are not banned from the forum. You are banned from a thread. This forum is not for disputing thread bans. As has been pointed out by Spear it is for disputing cards or forum bans only. If you are not disputing the red card, I'm closing this thread. I'll ask the CMod(s) to review your thread ban in the thread Spear moved to Help Desk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement