Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 story Lift installation on old apartment

Options
  • 27-03-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I was considering to have a lift added to the side of our apartments and called around a couple of companies.
    Details:
    - there is space to add a lift to the side of the building to pass up to the second floor, a very accessible space to work with.
    - 3 phased power is accessible right beside the proposed installation site
    - 6 person max required

I've been quoted 70K (35k for the lift & mechanism & 35K for the shaft) plus VAT and annual servicing which seems a bit excessive no?
    Maybe I'm behind the times but with these prices I'd be near expecting gold plated doors and full leather interior :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do you really want to skimp in the price of a lift? Sounds a little cheap to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Lifts are very expensive. I know where I work we were quoted 25k to repair a lift so not very surprised a new one costs 70k.

All you can do is ring all the lift companies in Ireland and get quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Optimatic

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Do you really want to skimp in the price of a lift? Sounds a little cheap to me.
    LOL, thanks for the reply but who said I was going to order anything, I was simply considering the prospect and just saying I was taken aback by the prices. For sure you are right though, where safety is involved, best not to skimp on this type of thing.

Agreed, I'll keep looking around but I don't image I'll get a much better price. It is what it is as they say...
    Usually I find its labor that costs the most. I was charged €400 recently for a three hour service on a gas boiler with one part replaced that cost €12!

Thanks for the feedback!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have you considered if planning permisssion is also required.
    You will have to pay for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Optimatic wrote: »
    I was considering to have a lift added to the side of our apartments and called around a couple of companies.
    Details:
    - there is space to add a lift to the side of the building to pass up to the second floor, a very accessible space to work with.
    - 3 phased power is accessible right beside the proposed installation site
    - 6 person max required
    As well as the lift itself, you'll also need some type of regular maintenance done on it, as well as a fund for emergency or out of hours work being done on it.

Also, perhaps check what is the standard lift size, and how much that costs; I'd imagine anything not standard would be pricier?

Finally, what would the lift be used for? For people, or for goods? If the latter, you may need a lift that can carry a heavier load than 6 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The ongoing maintenance is expensive, best to avoid getting a lift fitted.

ted1 wrote: »
    The ongoing maintenance is expensive, best to avoid getting a lift fitted.

Yeah, quoted approx 3k for the year, hefty indeed!

the_syco wrote: »
    As well as the lift itself, you'll also need some type of regular maintenance done on it, as well as a fund for emergency or out of hours work being done on it.

Also, perhaps check what is the standard lift size, and how much that costs; I'd imagine anything not standard would be pricier?

Finally, what would the lift be used for? For people, or for goods? If the latter, you may need a lift that can carry a heavier load than 6 people.

The lift would be for people, its a very small block of apartments. Fast deciding against the prospect now but thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres Pneumatic Vacuum Elevators no idea of price. But they would likely be cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement