Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of no claims - is this correct?

Options
  • 27-03-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi all

Here's a brief summary of what has happened to us.

1. In August 2016 (whilst insured with Company A) my wife scratched her car. We rang Company A to see if it was worthwhile claiming and we decided to just fix it ourselves.
    2. In 2017 I switched the car insurance company (to Company B). Company B queried why I hadn't declared a claim and I explained to them that we had only queried about claiming rather than actually claiming. Company B said that there was a zero value claim against us - this to me was silly but Company B insured us without changing their quote so I thought that was the end of it.
    3. Now, in 2018 Company B have issued a renewal. My wife has lost all of her no claims - namely Company B are saying that she only has one year of no claims since her "zero claim"

Can anyone advise me if this is correct? To me it seems insane that just by querying something my wife can lose her no claims bonus.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated - if further info is needed then I have no problem giving detail but I'm not sure that I should actually name the companies involved.

Thanks in advance ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

How exactly is it worded? Normally if there is a claim with nil payments made it will say 0 years claim free but stage 5 in the NCB scale or something along those lines. Then it might state the claim and note that no money was paid out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Again, check the wording. I had to claim off someone who hit the back of me and wouldn’t pay out €350 cash for a bumper to be sprayed so I had to claim on her insurance. When my renewal came, I had the same thing. Claims free years zero and stage 5 NCB or whatever it was. Could be a simple computer error too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Thanks guys. I don't have the printout to hand but I'll check it later tonight. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Yes - the No Claims is intact! That's good news.

I guess it means I'll have to phone around for quotes rather than checking online - as soon as I tick the "claims in last 5 years" box (which I'm told I now have to) the system gives back crazy numbers or says that I need to contact them for a quote.

Really appreciate the feedback - thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement