Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent cycling gear for a newbie

Options
  • 27-03-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy.

Any suggestions for shops in Dublin City Centre or the northside, that has a good selection of cycling gear for females, preferably with decent changing facilities. Any suggestions for brands? Are gel shorts a better option over padded? Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wheelworx out in Liffey Valley have a good selection of gear with good changing facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

SportsDirect in Nth Earl Street have a small selection, otherwise pretty much any bike shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

homer911 wrote: »
    SportsDirect in Nth Earl Street have a small selection, otherwise pretty much any bike shop

No their stuff is awful!

There's a brilliant place out in Santry called Cycle Tribe, you can buy online and return if any issues but they also let you go over and try on, have found them brilliant and decent offers too.

Yes the gel shorts are better than the padded (in my opinion).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The gel v padded is a personal choice, I prefer padded myself.
    I wear a lot of dhb stuff, the asv range. It's the best kit I've tried.
    TBH I haven't found a shop with a decent selection of affordable kit for women, I'm not a fan of the altura stuff myself.
    Mike's bikes used to have a great selection, haven't been out in a while.
    Cycle superstore have stuff too but it's either assos which is super pricey or the altura or cheaper stuff.
    Also re pads, I think they biggest difference I comfort is been whether it's contoured or not, and the thickness. I like a medium thickness, no bulk and hate contouring.
    Very individual.
    The size guides online at wiggle are accurate in my experience. I get them online exclusively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's a brilliant place out in Santry called Cycle Tribe, you can buy online and return if any issues but they also let you go over and try on, have found them brilliant and decent offers too.
    are they generally open to the public? or is it one of those places you're better off ringing ahead to arrange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Howdy.

Any suggestions for shops in Dublin City Centre or the northside, that has a good selection of cycling gear for females, preferably with decent changing facilities. Any suggestions for brands? Are gel shorts a better option over padded? Ta.

I say this a lot but check out Planet X. They're always putting on sales so once you know the size you're looking for, check them out online.

are they generally open to the public? or is it one of those places you're better off ringing ahead to arrange?

When I was over before xmas they were just in a new unit and were setting up a place that was to be open to the public, I'd imagine it's well up and running now but they're very responsive on phone & facebook if you drop them a message.

No their stuff is awful!

Yes the gel shorts are better than the padded (in my opinion).

What a great looking place.

I see they do Sportful, I was told (so open to interpretation) that they are one of the best value brands, but their sizing can be a bit variable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give that place in Santry a ring and see if I can pop over and try some stuff on.

I'm a bit perplexed on what kind of padded shorts to get. How do you know what thickness works for you, or if contoured is a good idea, when you are at the 'trying on in the changing room' stage. Obvioulsy, I can take them home and walk around the house and see how they feel over time, but the real proof is getting out on the bike with them. But once I do that, I can't return them, if they aren't working out. Are there things in the trying on stage I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

their website still implies it's a web shop, so definitely worth ringing ahead to confirm.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give that place in Santry a ring and see if I can pop over and try some stuff on.

I'm a bit perplexed on what kind of padded shorts to get. How do you know what thickness works for you, or if contoured is a good idea, when you are at the 'trying on in the changing room' stage. Obvioulsy, I can take them home and walk around the house and see how they feel over time, but the real proof is getting out on the bike with them. But once I do that, I can't return them, if they aren't working out. Are there things in the trying on stage I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

To be honest I’m my experience you won’t know until you’ve used them for a while on the bike. It will depend on the length of your journeys too. What sort of cycling are you planning?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Trial and error I'm afraid, and sometimes you don't get to know a pair of shorts until till you test them on a long spin. They lull you I go a false sense of security. I hate that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I'm a bit perplexed on what kind of padded shorts to get. How do you know what thickness works for you, or if contoured is a good idea, when you are at the 'trying on in the changing room' stage....
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you're going to be going on 18 hour rides, the type of pad won't make that much of a difference. As nee has said, there's a bit of trial and error involved. It's often the case that something seems fine because you've nothing to compare it to (which can be a good thing). Just make sure the bibs are a snug fit. There should be no creases or folds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cycle tribe web site quote:

"VISIT OUR SHOWROOM
    If you would like to visit our new showroom please contact us in advance to arrange an suitable time and date. We can arrange fittings for individuals and groups. If your unsure of the sizing of any our products on the website feel free to contact us and we can arrange for you to visit our premises.
    Showroom Trading Hours
    We are available by appointment Monday to Thursday between the hours of 9.30-12.30 and 14.30-17.00. Please contact us in advance to confirm your visit.
    "

Advertisement