Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions - Cork to Leenane - best pit stop?

Options
  • 27-03-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭

heading to Leenane for the weekend and wondering where to stop.
    before the road upgrade we use to stop at a centra near Labane which was the job but if we stay on the motorway, we miss it - and from the last time we were up that way, we didn't find anywhere along the motorway (say between ennis and galway) so we could not stop till Galway. Don't particularly wanna go into Gort - a good service station with deli would suffice - would it be much hassle to go via Labane? We always liked it as it was handy and the right amount over half way ..

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a Corrib Oil station on the outskirts of Gort. About 2 minutes off the motorway. The delis in Corrib Oil are usually pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭sporina

flazio wrote: »
    There's a Corrib Oil station on the outskirts of Gort. About 2 minutes off the motorway. The delis in Corrib Oil are usually pretty decent.[/QUOTE

thanks - what rd is it on? and does it have a seating area?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Corrib has no seating area - good deli , very busy at times .
    You could come off at the Gort exit and go down the ' Old' main road to Labane (first roundabout 1st exit , 2nd roundabout 1st exit).
    When leaving Labane continue on the 'Old' main road towards Galway and you can get back on the motorway at Kiltiernan - only 3mls or so.
    Distance wise would add very little to your journey.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Last time I travelled to Leenane before Christmas, to avoid Galway City I took the new motorway to Tuam and then headed cross country through Headford and Cong.

Headford is a good spot for a pit-stop if it's not too far along for you OP.

dooroy wrote: »
    Corrib has no seating area - good deli , very busy at times .
    You could come off at the Gort exit and go down the ' Old' main road to Labane (first roundabout 1st exit , 2nd roundabout 1st exit).
    When leaving Labane continue on the 'Old' main road towards Galway and you can get back on the motorway at Kiltiernan - only 3mls or so.
    Distance wise would add very little to your journey.
    Quackster wrote: »
    Last time I travelled to Leenane before Christmas, to avoid Galway City I took the new motorway to Tuam and then headed cross country through Headford and Cong.

Headford is a good spot for a pit-stop if it's not too far along for you OP.

yeah think i'll just do that dooroy...

Quackster - wouldn't you hit traffic in Tuam? I usually find that the traffic flows fine at the roundabouts in galway - and its not like I have to go into the city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sporina wrote: »
    Quackster - wouldn't you hit traffic in Tuam? I usually find that the traffic flows fine at the roundabouts in galway - and its not like I have to go into the city

You don't actually go through Tuam - at the end of the new motorway you turn onto the old N17 heading back towards Galway and turn off for Headford after a few kilometres.

I'm not saying it's a better route - it's about 15km longer than going via Galway City. It's just a different route with a fine scenic stretch along the north of Lough Corrib that makes for a nice alternative if you've travelled the other route plenty of times before.

If you go on to AA Route Planner it will give you 3 routes from Gort to Leenane for you to consider.
    As regards a 'pitstop' I would consider Labane your best bet - Headford for example is quite a bit further on (you would be within 35mls/57Km of Leenane).

If you go on to AA Route Planner it will give you 3 routes from Gort to Leenane for you to consider.
    As regards a 'pitstop' I would consider Labane your best bet - Headford for example is quite a bit further on (you would be within 35mls/57Km of Leenane).

i will be using my sat nav - google maps so will go with which ever one..

I had planned to go thru galway but what would be the advantage of going through headford? traffic? distance?

I think quackster suggested it as a change of scenery and a stop in Headford ( which I feel would be too near the end of your journey).
    Going through Galway and on to Oughterard - Maam Cross - Maam and on to Leenane would be a good route ( having stopped off at Labane ).

I think quackster suggested it as a change of scenery and a stop in Headford ( which I feel would be too near the end of your journey).
    Going through Galway and on to Oughterard - Maam Cross - Maam and on to Leenane would be a good route ( having stopped off at Labane ).

yep thats the plan - and strangely enough - going through Labane is shorter distance wise than going straight from Cork to Leenane.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just given that route to some friends from the US coming in May . A lovely road

had our stop at centra Labane - the jawb - then on to Ougterard and Maam..
    I know the Headford route from going to Westport...

The views of the Mann's, 12 bens etc were unreal on the way up fri eve,.. thee most splendid weekend was had.. some stop in nice weather - esp from the top of the 12 bens

Great views etc . on either route .
    Going through Headford you would go on to Cross - turn left for Cong - after Cong take left at fork for Cornamona - then into Maam and on to Leenane .
    You would be skirting Lough Corrib for part of that and some great views of the lake and its (didn't count them:pac: ) 365 islands

Great views etc . on either route .
    Going through Headford you would go on to Cross - turn left for Cong - after Cong take left at fork for Cornamona - then into Maam and on to Leenane .
    You would be skirting Lough Corrib for part of that and some great views of the lake and its (didn't count them:pac: ) 365 islands

will check out that route next time..

and if those views are good imagine the views we had from top of the 12 bens on sat... out of this world.. the mammturks, the 12 bens, mweelrea, diamond hill, inisboffin, etc etc etc... breath taking..

Advertisement