Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Audio RD180 Centre Speaker - blown!

Options
  • 27-03-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

On Sunday night, TV was on from Sky Q box, sound comes from Onkyo tx-nr646 (new one, replacement from Onkyo only installed about 3-4 weeks). Nobody in the room so no buttons pushed or channels changed. There was a really loud high-pitched sound that filled the whole house like an air-raid siren - louder than what the volume control was set at. Switched off everything and powered up about 20 mins later to find that the centre speaker wasn't working properly - dialogue could only be faintly heard. Front / Right and surround speakers working fine. This is on multiple devices and I swapped out one of the surrounds and that works fine. So the issue is with the centre speaker.

Could the Onkyo be the cause? And if so, how do I go about proving it to Onkyo. I have no faith in their support - I had so much hassle getting the receiver replaced (a replacement for a replacement!) that I'd prefer not to have to deal with them again. My concern though is that even if I get the speaker repaired, the fault could occur again.

any advice comments suggestions would be very welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Have you checked the speaker cable connection for the centre channel at the speaker and at the amp ? This would eliminate a short in the connection. Also try connecting the centre speaker to the left or right channel to make sure that the speaker is working ? I’d also try a re-set on the Onkyo for good luck.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

The Ritz wrote: »
    Have you checked the speaker cable connection for the centre channel at the speaker and at the amp ? This would eliminate a short in the connection. Also try connecting the centre speaker to the left or right channel to make sure that the speaker is working ? I’d also try a re-set on the Onkyo for good luck.

Ritz.

yeah did all that, I currently have the rear surround set-up as the centre

I'll be contacting onkyo this morning

repair of the centre speaker shouldn't be too complicated or expensive so I'll get that done myself.

thanks

Advertisement