Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Aussies watch home and away?

Options
  • 27-03-2018 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭

And does the programme depict Australian life well? As in the programme is full of so much Drama, murders, random people living together, bad boys and everyone knowing everyone in a small town! Just curious as I love the show:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

And does the programme depict Australian life well? As in the programme is full of so much Drama, murders, random people living together, bad boys and everyone knowing everyone in a small town! Just curious as I love the show:)

It actually couldn't be any further from reality. Fair city would be closer to life in Ireland than Home and Away would be to life in Australia.
    No Aussie would ever admit to watching it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Kilduffyras1

I think that is crazy! We are led to believe by the soap that Aussie life is full of surprises. One day the town could be sleepy, the next, theirs a new resident with a creepy past! I know it's all fiction but it would be interesting to believe it were all true!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobody with any self respect watches that shyte.

In any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it is watched, but not as much as it used to be. Viewing figures are about half of what they were ten years ago. This partly represents the decline of soaps in favour of reality television of one kind or another, and partly the fragmentation of audiences who are increasingly turning away from broadcast television to subscription and on-demand services.

As is customary for soap operas in decline, the plots become more outlandish, and they have been dealt with in a more sensational way, in an attempt to retain or recover the attention of viewers. So, no, it's not remotely realistic as a depiction of Australian suburban life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I'd say the same demographic watch it here in Oz as watch it anywhere else - mostly teenagers and dare I say it mostly girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I know a couple of people here that watch it. But then this is a country that seems to obsess over shyte like Married at First Sight and the Bachelor/ette.

Advertisement