Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campag Question

Options
  • 27-03-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Have 53/39 Athena want to go full compact do I need complete crank or can I swap out chain rings?
    Also What is largest rear sproket I can use?
    can only find 29/11 but would like 32/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

You need a new chainset. Your current Athena uses 135mm BCD, the compact uses 110mm. The rings aren't interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

29t is the realistic max sprocket size with a medium cage rear mech., so you would need to swap out the RD if you want to reach 32t on the cassette........(I'm not sure what campag cassettes are available in 32t, but assuming you are on 11s and could change freehub on the wheels, Shimano cassettes are compatible)
    Note too that you will have to remove a few links on the chain as the 50T chainring is smaller diameter than the 53T on at present, so your chain needs to be shorter (maybe no if you are moving up on the rear from 29t to 32t)
    And you will need to move the front mech down the seat tube to reposition it for the smaller 50T chainring

So a bit of faffing and a bit of cost, but all doable.

Your Athena crankset is possibly PowerTorque, so its an opportunity to move to an UltraTorque set up (new cups and bearings needed) as the PT can be a pain in the ass and needs some specific tools to work on - you may be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭camaghead

Yeah - you will need to change the entire crank. Athena did not do the univerasal BCD - unlike the later Super Record, Record and Chorus cranks.

You can get either a Centaur or Potenza crankset at a reasonable cost.

You can also get either Centaur or Potenza 11 -32 cassettes.

Advertisement