Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR sensors (mini?) and bathroom extractors

Options
  • 27-03-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I want to set my bathroom/shower extraction fan to be activated by PIR sensor located above the shower. For aesthetic reasons and because I only need around 1-2m sensor reach, I'm looking for a small, mini sensor that will be kinda invisible on the ceiling.

These two little sensors (below) have no published IP rating but only their plastic surface will be below the ceiling so I'm wondering if they can be sealed into the plasterboard using silicone. Surely that's waterproof?
    Has any electrician done this? Somebody mentioned I might need a resistor capacitor too??
    www (dot) velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p551_pir415.html
    www (dot) beg-luxomat.com/en/products/luxomat/ceiling-mounted-motion-detectors/1-channel/pd9-digi/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

Hi

The mini pir doesn't seem to have a lux adjustment so it wouldn't be any use in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

Thanks Johnny - is the lux adjustment to detect daylight so the light isn't coming on when it's already bright? Or does it have some other function that would affect my extractor fan? I won't have any lights connected to the mini PIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

BFP1001 wrote: »
    Thanks Johnny - is the lux adjustment to detect daylight so the light isn't coming on when it's already bright? Or does it have some other function that would affect my extractor fan? I won't have any lights connected to the mini PIR.

Hi

Is it an instantaneous shower?

The most important thing is to have a good fan unit to extract all the moist air.

With the PIR you need to be able to set the lux to daylight to control the fan at all times,that's if it's successful at all working within the cubicle.

The other automatic options are humidity sensor or current sensing relay unit or flow switch possibly

http://www.pvl.co.uk/flow_switches_general_purpose/615_622_diy_flow_switch.html

Maybe someone familiar with humidity sensors can comment on them as that's the obvious off -the-shelf solution .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would you not just change the old extractor for one with a built in humidity sensor or timer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Would you not just change the old extractor for one with a built in humidity sensor or timer

Might be the best solution. With a pir you might suffer alot of nuisance activations.

If you ceiling is above 2.25m you are in zone3. A IP rating of X4 so IP 44 will do.

Remember all circuits in bathroom zones require RCD protection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement