Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency services stuck due to road closure

Options
  • 27-03-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

The Edmondstown Road was closed recently due to alledged legal excavation work nearby. Latest is the road will be closed for up to a year!!

Tonight an ambulance trying to access someone beyond this closure couldn't pass and needed to do a 5km detour:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=143478093151107&id=139124766919773

This road is not some small laneway up the mountains, it is a major artery, the closure of which is affecting many residents, local businesses, schools and more. Theres a campaign set up if anyone's interested. Linked above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Link to video of ambulance turned around to head back down to find a way around

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=143477363151180&id=139124766919773

(If there's a better way to link Facebook videos please let me know)

What are SDCC meant to be ashamed of?

The road closure was well advertised both online and in print, it comes up on google maps and waze, and there are signposts approaching it from every direction.

It's 1.5km extra distance to divert via Stocking Lane.

It isn't a 'major artery' or busy road and the number of residents affected is likely to be several hundred at most. Alternative routes are plentiful no matter from and to which direction.

What a load of sensationalist twaddle, and I say that as a local who has family in Tibradden & Mount Venus, who goes for walks in Kilmashogue/Tibradden/Cruagh frequently, and who drinks in Doherty's.

What are SDCC meant to be ashamed of?

The road closure was well advertised both online and in print, it comes up on google maps and waze, and there are signposts approaching it from every direction.

It's 1.5km extra distance to divert via Stocking Lane.

It isn't a 'major artery' or busy road and the number of residents affected is likely to be several hundred at most. Alternative routes are plentiful no matter from and to which direction.

What a load of sensationalist twaddle, and I say that as a local who has family in Tibradden & Mount Venus, who goes for walks in Kilmashogue/Tibradden/Cruagh frequently, and who drinks in Doherty's.

As emergancy services keep showing up to the barrier, im sure other maps still require updating. How many residents/locals/businesses do you feel are enough to warrant this being done sooner than a year or more? If you had someone you cared about needing an ambulance and it had to take a detour, you would not be happy either. I don't mean to be argumentative, but if your not affected by something daily, im sure you wont consider it a problem.

If it's highlighted, it is more likely to be bumped up the list for the SDCC. Judging by the people’s reaction that are affected daily by this, a year is too long. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Wopp wrote: »
    As emergancy services keep showing up to the barrier, im sure other maps still require updating. ..........

Email them all and tell them it is blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The road is in danger of subsiding after unauthorised work it seems :
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/rathfarnham-road-closure-following-illegal-excavation-1.3349972

South Dublin County Council is taking enforcement action against Ghandi Mallak, who it said was responsible for undertaking unauthorised work that destabilised the road.

KVpXO4u.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

[

What a load of sensationalist twaddle, and I say that as a local who has family in Tibradden & Mount Venus, who goes for walks in Kilmashogue/Tibradden/Cruagh frequently, and who drinks in Doherty's.[/QUOTE]

As emergancy services keep showing up to the barrier, im sure other maps still require updating. How many residents/locals/businesses do you feel are enough to warrant this being done sooner than a year or more? If you had someone you cared about needing an ambulance and it had to take a detour, you would not be happy either. I don't mean to be argumentative, but if your not affected by something daily, im sure you wont consider it a problem.

If it's highlighted, it is more likely to be bumped up the list for the SDCC. Judging by the people’s reaction that are affected daily by this, a year is too long. That’s all.[/quote]

Wopp wrote: »
    As emergancy services keep showing up to the barrier, im sure other maps still require updating.

That isn't a failure of the SDCC. What is it you think they should have done, beside place adverts in newspapers, temporary and permanent signposting, and have it included in news articles on many national newspaper websites?
    How many residents/locals/businesses do you feel are enough to warrant this being done sooner than a year or more?
    How many do you feel are enough to warrant it?
    If you had someone you cared about needing an ambulance and it had to take a detour, you would not be happy either.
    If they cared that much about 1.5km extra distance between them and the nearest hospital, they shouldn't have chosen to live in the Dublin foothills in the first place.
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but if your not affected by something daily, im sure you wont consider it a problem.
    I do consider it a problem, but I consider the attitude in your post & the facebook posts a far bigger problem.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" is essentially your only point, beyond that the DFB utterly fail at keeping themselves updated on road closures, and have zero internal communication. The ambulances and fire engines are almost certainly all coming from the same bases each time, why aren't you waaaaahmbulancing about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You shouldn’t be angry at the council, ya should be mad at the guy who did the under-mining. The road is closed Incase it gives way would you like to be driving over it when it gave way?

And yes I’m one of the ppl affected by the closure.

ganmo wrote: »
    You shouldn’t be angry at the council, ya should be mad at the guy who did the under-mining. The road is closed Incase it gives way would you like to be driving over it when it gave way?

And yes I’m one of the ppl affected by the closure.

Hi Ganmo, im not angry at the council. (unfortunately, I cannot control what others say in the comments of the facebook links I sent either.) The purpose of the link was to highlight the issue and also hopefully let anyone know that a campaign had been set up to allow everyone affected communicate in one space. It may help achieve getting the road fixed sooner which would be a great relief to all affected im sure! Sorry to hear you have been affected too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Why is it taking a year to fix it? What are they doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There should be a coordinated map of all closed roads appearing on the ambulance drivers’ GPS. I bet the road closure is in Google maps for example.

We need to equip the emergency services with proper IT systems. It’s not the council’s fault the ambulance has clearly not got access to up to date routing information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can somebody tell me what the alternative is supposed to be here? Open the road and let people drive away even if its considered to be at risk?

I see the complaining but maybe I missed the alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There should be a coordinated map of all closed roads appearing on the ambulance drivers’ GPS. I bet the road closure is in Google maps for example.

We need to equip the emergency services with proper IT systems. It’s not the council’s fault the ambulance has clearly not got access to up to date routing information.

I think they use the OSI version of the maps rather than Google.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Why is it taking a year to fix it? What are they doing?

I hear it is due to legal action to determine who will cover the cost of the repair. I can't imagine it would take that long to undertake the fix itself.

Which wouldn't have live traffic or diversions.

Drivers in the field refer to paper OSI maps, I'm not aware that the NAS uses digital OSI maps. DFB have satnav and train their drivers in local knowledge.

It wouldn't be NAS in Dublin though, they're operated generally by the Dublin City Fire Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

It wouldn't be NAS in Dublin though, they're operated generally by the Dublin City Fire Brigade.

I thought NAS and DFB shared resources around the border of the DFB operating area?

The NAS provides roughly 45% of ambulance call outs in Dublin, the DFB 55%.

Advertisement