Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Nintendo?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hard to go back alright.

My first ever exposure to games was a electro-mechanical Space Invaders clone.
    They worked with cables, springs, motors and leds, you would launch a rocket and a little plastic panel would illuminate and travel up a wire along the screen until it met a badguy where an explosion would be illuminated instead, sound effects and everything!

Something very similar to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Super Nintendo with Mario allstars, most addictive thing of all time, back then I had to share with 2 brothers and the problem of parents who were always complaining that we werent outside instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Street Fighter 2 SNES bundle along with Super Soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Street Fighter 2 SNES bundle along with Super Soccer

I can still remembers where the hotpots to score from are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never enjoyed soccer games at all, sports games in general.
    But it was my understanding that ISS was where it was at with the SNES.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I'm not usually a big fan myself, it was more my friends that were into them, they were great for couch coop. Sensible soccer was another great one. The gameplay was excellent.
    Another snes game I really loved beyond the obvious ones was the lost vikings. Went back to it recently and found it should of stayed in the past unfortunately. Like goldeneye in that sense.

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm not usually a big fan myself, it was more my friends that were into them, they were great for couch coop. Sensible soccer was another great one. The gameplay was excellent.
    Another snes game I really loved beyond the obvious ones was the lost vikings. Went back to it recently and found it should of stayed in the past unfortunately. Like goldeneye in that sense.

What was it exactly that made you say that?

I'm curious, because I recently played Fable Anniversary (having played the original on Xbox), and found it very "clunky", wasn't a smooth gaming experience at all. I'm glad I re-played it, but I do find it has tarnished my memory of the original somehow.

Yeah same here, only game I actually hated playing with my brother, he was just too damn good.

'twas grand though, always gave him a thorough pasting in Street Fighter afterwards.

Aside from the likes of SMW, SMAllstars and Super Metroid I have to say my head was turned by Batman Returns, just loved that game, more than the Super Star Wars trilogy of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I only ever played the demo of Lost Vikings on the Amiga, but a modern game that reminds me of it is Trine

• Advertisement

What was it exactly that made you say that?

I'm curious, because I recently played Fable Anniversary (having played the original on Xbox), and found it very "clunky", wasn't a smooth gaming experience at all. I'm glad I re-played it, but I do find it has tarnished my memory of the original somehow.
    Some games are just best left in your memory because when you replay they it spoils the memories you have of it. Goldeneye is the perfect example for me because in my memory the graphics were great and the controls were perfect but when you play it now you see it hasn't ages well. You just get used to the better controls and graphics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nintendo 64, got mario kart and golden eye for christmas 97, the following christmas I got zelda ocarina of time.

It wasn't until 2005 that I got a game cube cheap enough and brought tales of symphonia as it was only on the gamecube at that time and I really wanted to play it, one of the best RPG's I've played and got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for christmas 2006.

I got a wii in 2008 then and got mario soccer, the 5 aside one,great craic and mario cart. Was glad to have a wii when xenoblade was released in 2011, and now I have a switch and its my favorite nintendo console so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

N64.
    Having come from a C64 and MegaDrive, I was always on the other team to Nintendo, but with Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Lylat Wars and ISS (among others), as well as the new controller with rumble(!!) it was too hard to refuse!

Some games are just best left in your memory because when you replay they it spoils the memories you have of it. Goldeneye is the perfect example for me because in my memory the graphics were great and the controls were perfect but when you play it now you see it hasn't ages well. You just get used to the better controls and graphics.

In some cases this is true, but try comparing Super Mario World to New Super Mario Bros, the older game is miles ahead in every regard.
    That's not to say that NSMB isn't a great game, but it's not fit to hold SMW's coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ISS and ISS Deluxe were the best football games on the SNES.

Turtles in Time and Sunset Riders were good then throw in UN Squadron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

In some cases this is true, but try comparing Super Mario World to New Super Mario Bros, the older game is miles ahead in every regard.
    That's not to say that NSMB isn't a great game, but it's not fit to hold SMW's coat.

I agree with you. SMW deserves a spot in the top 5 in its series, and is easily one of the best 2D Mario games, up there with SMB3. Which was probably my first 2D Mario game, BTW.

NSMB is definitely not a bad game, but it is somewhat lacking in comparison to the likes of SMW and SMB3.

No argument here. Super mario world is my goat game.
    Its more the generation after the 16 bit era that didnt age well. Why I don't know.

Its more the generation after the 16 bit era that didnt age well. Why I don't know.

I'd say it would be to do with the fact that the concept of 3D games wasn't so mature back in the mid-late '90s, and that developers were experimenting with approaches to the likes of controls in such games.

3D was simply pretty new and limited as it takes a shed load of power to make 3D visuals look good.
    As a result an awful lot of N64 games look pants.
    But, this titles that embraced their limitations and focused on gameplay still got it, 1080° Snowboarding, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 to name three.
    I reckon the Saturn and PS fared the same if not poorer, with much of their 3D content ageing terribly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

My first Nintendo was a Donkey Kong Jr that my Aunt brought over from America. I thought it was a thing of wonder at the time.

Later I picked up a Gameboy but returned it for an Atari Lynx and some rechargeable batteries, ah the innocence of youth.......

First Nintendo console was a SNES with Super Mario World. I got it to play an imported copy of Street Fighter 2, jolly expensive game as I remember. Never got a NES, as I had a Master System to play Out Run and Space Harrier.

Didn't know much about Mario until I stuck the Mario World cart in, nearly as an afterthought. Not immediately impressed but after about 15 mins I was hooked. Never played such a well built game before (apart from SF2!), just perfection.

Then I saw this imported mode 7 racing game being played in a shop, I remember being utterly amazed. So Mario kart was added to my collection. I still maintain that the original MK is the purest driving experience of the series.

The Lynx was potentially an incredible machine and really quite powerful.
    The range of Atari releases on it and their quality spoke for themselves, with excellent ports of Xybots and particularly, Stunrunner.
    Stunrunner is remarkable as it was a antigravity racing game, years ahead of Wipeout, and a really good conversion too.
    The ship had sailed on Atari at that point though, and outside of the ST had lost out to Nintendo in the handheld space, as well as in the home.

Wasn't the main problem with the Lynx and Game Gear the fact the battery life was terrible and they weren't rechargeable batteries back then. Also think the game boy was much cheaper. And had Tetris

I would imagine Tetris was the thing, it really captured the public imagination and made the Gameboy essential.
    Gamegear and Lynx just didn't achieve the same success, they had the content but, as you said, a battery life measured in minutes/fractions of an hour didn't help.

There's reasons the Game Boy won out.

It was much more reachable to consumers, and it significantly outlasted its competitors in battery life.

Nintendo's excellent reputation back then also helped, which sparked anticipation for portable experiences in the likes of the Mario and Zelda franchises, like the Super Mario Land series and Link's Awakening, respectively.
    Not to mention the system-sellers that were Tetris and the first Pokémon games.

You can say the Game Gear and the Lynx were technically beefier, and that's true. However, the emphasis on battery life and portability rooted in mature hardware, along with a reasonable price tag, and a robust library as a result of these qualities, was what gained Nintendo the leading edge in the handheld market.

I really liked Super Mario Land, it was the first Mario game proper, setting aside Donkey Kong, that I had played.
    But, upon playing SMW a couple of years later, I realised just what a bizarre Super Mario game it really was.
    I mean, Super Mario Land 2 was far closer to SMB3/SMW and an amazing title.
    Thinking too of the games released over the lifespan of the GB, it is stunning the gulf of quality, from the like of Super Mario Land to Donkey Kong Land 3, whatever you may think of the DKC franchise it was an amazing feat to get it onto a GB cart.
    Also, the incredible version of Donkey Kong itself, when you think it's about to loop, like the arcade version does, it just opens up into the most amazing title, and that's before you plug it into a Super Gameboy!
    Speaking of which, consider the brilliance of the Space Invaders title on the Gameboy which, when plugged in the Snes via the SGB is an entire retrospective on the whole spectrum of Space Invaders range, I have that as well!

• Advertisement

Speaking of Mario Land, has anything that debuted in that game made its way to other games, apart from Daisy? Like think that boss and Wart(from Mario 2) were one game wonders.

We really need something with the Mario 2 characters like Mouser and Wart. Should've had references at least in 3d World since the main characters had their Mario 2 abilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There's reasons the Game Boy won out.

It was much more reachable to consumers, and it significantly outlasted its competitors in battery life.

Nintendo's excellent reputation back then also helped, which sparked anticipation for portable experiences in the likes of the Mario and Zelda franchises, like the Super Mario Land series and Link's Awakening, respectively.
    Not to mention the system-sellers that were Tetris and the first Pokémon games.

You can say the Game Gear and the Lynx were technically beefier, and that's true. However, the emphasis on battery life and portability rooted in mature hardware, along with a reasonable price tag, and a robust library as a result of these qualities, was what gained Nintendo the leading edge in the handheld market.
    That and Rik Mayall obviously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super Mario Land looks and plays like a Mario game built from pure hearsay. It's like that time Krusty plays an episode from the Russian version of Itchy and Scratchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

The Game Boy was affordable back then, the Game Gear and Lynx were very expensive. My cousin had a Game Gear and I can remember playing Columns and Sonic on it, despite the better graphics/colour etc. it didn’t keep me nearly as entertained as Tetris or Super Mario Land on the GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Anybody still play NES Tetris? I played it solidly for a full weekend a few months ago. My left thumb was so sore, ah the memories!

Anyway, would love to have a Tetris battle or share scores etc.

• Advertisement

I never seemed to have gotten a chance to play NES Tetris.

My first Tetris was the Game Boy version. I also really enjoyed the DS version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I never seemed to have gotten a chance to play NES Tetris.

My first Tetris was the Game Boy version. I also really enjoyed the DS version.

It's very similar to Gameboy Tetris although the colours can be slightly distracting compared to the Gameboy version.

I've been watching a lot of world championship Tetris. The skill is unreal at these levels!

NES Tetris - worth a watch!

I have the NES version alright, but heart will always be with the GB version.
    I also enjoy playing the GB version on the GB Micro, though I have to use a flash cart thingy as the GB Micro dropped GB/C support.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First was a SNES (before that I played on my neighbours Amiga 500 and a Commodore 64). Was a fanboy for many years after, Had every console until the Wii U. Still playing the SNES, had a mario kart session over the weekend with the young lad and interestingly, he found it far tougher than any of the more current incarnations but I found it far easier, although I wasn't pushing as hard as I used too.

At the minute considering a Switch or a 2DS but can't figure which would suit me better.

You'll pick up a WiiU for buttons and there's a decent range of titles out there, Mario 3D World and Nintendoland to name but two.

You'll pick up a WiiU for buttons and there's a decent range of titles out there, Mario 3D World and Nintendoland to name but two.

Alas, with age my issue is something he wants as well. I like the idea of the switch as I can get a load of games for me alone but the 2ds has a better range of games we will both play (currently loves SMB3). The big question is, can I be a good parent or a selfish f√¢khole.

He is only 4 and not much experience so while he loves Odyssey videos, not sure he will enjoy failing regularly. Bringing him to a friends house to try next week for the final decision.

CramCycle wrote: »
    He is only 4 and not much experience so while he loves Odyssey videos, not sure he will enjoy failing regularly. Bringing him to a friends house to try next week for the final decision.

My lad is about the same age, and plays with "Assist Mode". He enjoys it for sure.
    Super Mario Odyssey: How to Use Assist Mode and What It Does

Mario Kart 8 (Switch) has a similar feature for steering.

A 2DS XL is pretty cost effective and has a massive range of great games available, many quite cheap now.
    The Switch isn't going anywhere!

My lad is about the same age, and plays with "Assist Mode". He enjoys it for sure.
    Super Mario Odyssey: How to Use Assist Mode and What It Does

Mario Kart 8 (Switch) has a similar feature for steering.
    A 2DS XL is pretty cost effective and has a massive range of great games available, many quite cheap now.
    The Switch isn't going anywhere!

Well I can add my sons first Nintendo of his own as the Switch (he has played the SNES and Wii before but they are not his).

My partner wanted the DS for Netflix but in the dying seconds, I thought it would be better having a game that was stimulating rather than rewatching rubbish on Netflix.

Turned on the assist mode, and have to say, he has impressed me. The arrows are just the push he needs but he has been flying through it. He won't take the joycons off and plays it like a Game Gear but overall, I think I made the right choice.

Excellent bribery tool as well. he is only allowed at weekends but if there is something out of the ordinary to do Monday to Friday, a promise of letting him get one more moon gets any job done.

I mean, if his old man has a game of Zelda when he is asleep, whats the harm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

First was the Gameboy with Tetris (obvs) and Super Mario Land, a gift from my brother who had emigrated to the States. Followed that with a SNES.

Recently bought a 2DS XL having not owned anything Nintendo since the Wii and I'm loving it. Alternating between 3DS titles and Virtual Console classics, so far got through A Link Between Worlds, SMB3, Gunstar Heroes, Super Metroid, Samus Returns, A Link To The Past and Diddy's Kong Quest. Next on the chopping block Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Plan on getting a Switch when I've worked my way through the best 3DS has to offer. Speaking of which, if anyone has any suggestions of 3DS or DS essentials I've missed let me know! Not sure why DS titles aren't available on the eShop but I may invest in an alternative method of obtaining them <ahem>.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Speaking of which, if anyone has any suggestions of 3DS or DS essentials I've missed let me know!

Top of my head for 3DS:
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Mario and Luigi - Dream Team (and Bowser's Inside Story is being ported soon too)
    • Professor Layton (forget the exact title)
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Pokemon, if that's your thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pokémon was just after my generation so never got into it, bit old to start now! Luigi's Mansion is one I'm going to have to pick up. Picked up Mario 64 for peanuts the other day, haven't played that since about '96!

The port of Diddy Kong Racing seems hard to find, loved that game on the N64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

I think my first was the DS, 11 or 12 years ago. I'm not very old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mine was a SNES and then a 64 but I never had any after that.

Advertisement