Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peejamas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Training you kid to pee their pants I reckon.
    It can be a painful process, but you get through it. I reckon something like this will only drag it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Toileting at night is a developmental thing, you can't really train a young child to do it. One of mine was dry at night as soon as she toilet trained, took her younger sibling a few months to do it. Put on a nappy at night, when he was dry for a few nights we chanced it off and apart from a couple of accidents at the start he was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What’s happening at the moment at night time is he’ll wake up and let a holler around 12ish, sometimes he’s already wet himself or else i’ve time to take him to the toilet for a pee and he’ll sleep soundly for the rest of the night.
    Daytime is fine just the odd accident, feel like I’m going around in circles at night time he’s waking but not going for a wee himsel, he has his own bathroom that he’s well able to use.
    Don’t want to put nappies on him as last time we tried that he starting poooing in his pants during the day. He knows now to go to the toilet.

See what your saying about teaching him to pee in his pants and it’s the opposite I’m trying to do.

so no drinks before bed and no bed until he's had a pee.

It takes time, but you'll get through it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Can you sit him on the loo (asleep) when you are going to bed?I know plenty of parents who do that.Otherwise limited drinks before bed and a toilet visit last thing.Works for us,but we did leave her in a nappy at night for ages after she was trained, she eventually discarded it herself!!

• Advertisement

Another thing we used to do was lift them into the toilet when we were going to bed.
    Leave the lights off, and try not to wake them up too much, sit them on the loo "schhh, schhh" and wait for them to pee.

Seems counter intuitive but it worked for us.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Zulu wrote: »
    Another thing we used to do was lift them into the toilet when we were going to bed.
    Leave the lights off, and try not to wake them up too much, sit them on the loo "schhh, schhh" and wait for them to pee.

Seems counter intuitive but it worked for us.

Same here, kept the lights dim and he'd waken enough to have a wee but would be back asleep as soon as we put him back in bed.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

What’s happening at the moment at night time is he’ll wake up and let a holler around 12ish, sometimes he’s already wet himself or else i’ve time to take him to the toilet for a pee and he’ll sleep soundly for the rest of the night.
    Daytime is fine just the odd accident, feel like I’m going around in circles at night time he’s waking but not going for a wee himsel, he has his own bathroom that he’s well able to use.
    Don’t want to put nappies on him as last time we tried that he starting poooing in his pants during the day. He knows now to go to the toilet.

See what your saying about teaching him to pee in his pants and it’s the opposite I’m trying to do.

How old his he?

A neighbour's child got into a bad habit of drinking loads of fluids in the evening time as a toddler, when she tried to reduce the amount he got up too thirsty in the middle of the night, drink loads and wet the bed anyway When he got older, not even two pairs of pullups contained it and last I heard, he was 5 and still needing them and she didn't know how to get out of the vicious circle.

Going cold turkey on nappies and pullups is what I feel is the only way that works. If you use absorbent methods, then he won't learn because he won't wake up with the wetting as there's no discomfort. He will then learn to sleep through his wees and you'd be compounding the problem. It's also about training a deep sleeper to wake up when they subconsciously feel the need to wee.

See if limiting fluids after 5 or 6 pm to small sips helps. They can drink all they want during the day but after that time, it should be just small amounts. Lifting him when you go to bed, keeping the bathroom dimmed.

Also, layer the bed so you can strip it and remake it quickly - so put waterproof layer then towel, then sheet, then repeat that layer again one or more times. Then if you do have to attend a wetting at 3am, you can just strip off one layer and you have a dry warm bed in seconds rather than rooting through the hotpress for the right kind of sheet at that hour and a cold wet kid to attend to as well. (Layering is also really good when they are sick in case they puke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My friends son was completely dry during the day from nearly 3, but kept wetting the bed during the night, even limiting liquids. Her doctor said not all kids can night train at the same time, that it is not considered a problem until 7-8. My friend kept a pull up on at night until he was dry for 2 weeks in a row and he asked for it off, I think he was around 5-6.

I think it is a great idea, provided they are fully dry during the day and only having problems at night. Otherwise I would stick to the pull up at night if he is still day time training as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks for the tips doing a lot of it already, probably expecting a bit much to be accident free at nightime he’s nearly 4. If I could just get him to wake up and take himself. Not sure how I can train that part.

• Advertisement

Like anything else bribery and encouragement. Sounds like you're half way there in so far as he's waking up and shouting.
    Made a deal with him - if he goes himself to the big boys toilet then at the end of the week, PJMasks or whatever

Advertisement