Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80 OHM headphones with PS4

Options
  • 28-03-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I bought Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones the other day to use with my PS4 via connecting through the jack in the headphones.

I am reading a lot of conflicting advice. Some say that it should work fine, others are saying I also need an amp to power the 80 OHM version. I really don't want to spend more money or clutter my sitting room up with more stuff.

Could anyone here more knowledgeable than I advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hi all,

I bought Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones the other day to use with my PS4 via connecting through the jack in the headphones.

I am reading a lot of conflicting advice. Some say that it should work fine, others are saying I also need an amp to power the 80 OHM version. I really don't want to spend more money or clutter my sitting room up with more stuff.

Could anyone here more knowledgeable than I advise?

Have you received the headphones yet and tried them? They should work the only issue is they might not get as loud as you want them to go another option would be to connect them via the TV (if you game on a TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ruff says flaherty

Have you received the headphones yet and tried them? They should work the only issue is they might not get as loud as you want them to go another option would be to connect them via the TV (if you game on a TV)

Thanks for the quick response.

I have received them and I thought they worked well. I have only used them with Bloodborne and Spotify so far though, not a speaking based show. I just want to make sure I am getting the full experience as they were expensive as headphones go.

I sit too far from the TV for the cable to reach unfortunately.

It really comes down to whether a PS4 controller can power 80 OHMS. mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you dont have to set the volume above 80% you're probably not pushing the preamp too far.

That said, I'm almost certain the DAC in PS4 controllers is very basic. It works, but you're putting crude oil in a jet engine. Whether or not you'll notice the difference is a personal thing.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have received them and I thought they worked well. I have only used them with Bloodborne and Spotify so far though, not a speaking based show. I just want to make sure I am getting the full experience as they were expensive as headphones go.

I sit too far from the TV for the cable to reach unfortunately.

It really comes down to whether a PS4 controller can power 80 OHMS. mmm

I supposed to really get the best out of them you would want an Astro MixAmp down the road also try the headphones on the TV and switch between tv and controller and see if you notice any difference, also try Spotify on your phone with the headset and on the controller and see if you notice any major difference they have a playlist called Songs to test headphones with and try the same song with the phone and the controller it might give you an idea on any loss of quality

I supposed to really get the best out of them you would want an Astro MixAmp down the road also try the headphones on the TV and switch between tv and controller and see if you notice any difference, also try Spotify on your phone with the headset and on the controller and see if you notice any major difference they have a playlist called Songs to test headphones with and try the same song with the phone and the controller it might give you an idea on any loss of quality

Thanks. Jesus if I have have known I would need to spend further cash on getting an amp, I would have gotten something more basic. They are like 120 euros. Always something!

• Advertisement

So, would I need to connect that Astro mix amp to the PS4 via an optical cable?

I really don't like clutter and sit pretty far from the PS4

So, would I need to connect that Astro mix amp to the PS4 via an optical cable?

I really don't like clutter and sit pretty far from the PS4

Yes it’s a bit of a snake of cables you have the optical cable a usb cable to power the amp and then you would need an extension cables or your headset if it’s to short. Let me research a bit more to see if I can find a better solution for you

Yes it’s a bit of a snake of cables you have the optical cable a usb cable to power the amp and then you would need an extension cables or your headset if it’s to short. Let me research a bit more to see if I can find a better solution for you

I don't like cables everywhere. That would be great, it's all very confusing to me. Thank you

So from research you could get something like this
    FiiO A3 (E11 K), portable amplifier for headphones, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z9BIODA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EU5UAbQP2EK0X
    This can drive up to 250ohms so should be able to drive the headphones you might want a slightly longing 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to run between amp and controller.

Now one other thing the dac in the controller isn’t great add to that the Bluetooth connectivity and you are not getting great sound from the controller in the first place so if you are happy enough with the sound your getting at the moment then stick with that, to get the best you would need a dedicated amp connected via the optical output from your PS4, but that’s a route I don’t think you want to go down due to cable management

• Advertisement

Just to clarify if they sound loud enough to you via the DS4 controller then adding an amp won’t really improve the sound it will just make them get louder if that makes sense

So from research you could get something like this
    FiiO A3 (E11 K), portable amplifier for headphones, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z9BIODA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EU5UAbQP2EK0X
    This can drive up to 250ohms so should be able to drive the headphones you might want a slightly longing 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to run between amp and controller.

Now one other thing the dac in the controller isn’t great add to that the Bluetooth connectivity and you are not getting great sound from the controller in the first place so if you are happy enough with the sound your getting at the moment then stick with that, to get the best you would need a dedicated amp connected via the optical output from your PS4, but that’s a route I don’t think you want to go down due to cable management

Great, thanks so much for your help with this. Not all heroes wear capes!

Great, thanks so much for your help with this. Not all heroes wear capes!

No problem let me know what you do. As I said even if you had got the 32ohm version of the headset the only difference in sound would be how loud it would go as the 80ohms are just harder to drive so lower max volume.
    Also one final thing to note if you ever go down the Astro amp route, if you have the PS4 slim it does not have a optical audio socket on it, the Pro and the original PS4 do have it though.

I plugged the headphones straight into my TV in the bedroom at the weekend and didn't notice a huge difference in sound quality. The only thing with connecting them to the PS4 controller I find is the odd drop in sound, sometimes that can be irritating. Other times I could watch a 2 hour movie, with no drop at all, another time could happen 3-5 times in 20 min. I don't know what causes it.

I am kind of coming around on the idea of connecting them to the PS4 directly via the USB port and a small amp. The Fii0 is my first choice, but how would these options work do people reckon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077MEDTI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A1UWXWP1DRAP52&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XHRYW2C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2ZE2RPWV4P8G4&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PS controllers operate over a bluetooth link, thats in the same band as Wifi, Microwaves, Home Phones, Baby Monitors etc. The drops could be your neighbour making popcorn. Inherent issue with unlicensed spectrum.

Not sure how compatibility works with USB amps and the PS OS. Only use an old PS3 myself for Plex and SARBC. An alternative setup would be a HDMI audio stripper but that might be a pain if you regularly use the TV speakers too.

ED E wrote: »
    PS controllers operate over a bluetooth link, thats in the same band as Wifi, Microwaves, Home Phones, Baby Monitors etc. The drops could be your neighbour making popcorn. Inherent issue with unlicensed spectrum.

Not sure how compatibility works with USB amps and the PS OS. Only use an old PS3 myself for Plex and SARBC. An alternative setup would be a HDMI audio stripper but that might be a pain if you regularly use the TV speakers too.

Ya, that would make sense. The signal does be a lot better after around 10.00pm, when everyone is gone to bed.

Hey Ruff are you just going to bite the bullet and run a cable from the PS4? I know you said you hated the wires

Hey Ruff are you just going to bite the bullet and run a cable from the PS4? I know you said you hated the wires

I think I am just going to go the cheaper route and get these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plated-Copper-Female-Stereo-Adapter-0-9m/dp/B072MPPWPH/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522850889&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=3.5mm+to+RCA&psc=1

And run the sound from PS4 to TV to the Headphones

This option looked interesting, but I am not sure about it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The spoken volume is loud enough for me listening via the headphones connected to the controller, so I don't think a mini amp is something I need

I think I am just going to go the cheaper route and get these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plated-Copper-Female-Stereo-Adapter-0-9m/dp/B072MPPWPH/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522850889&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=3.5mm+to+RCA&psc=1

And run the sound from PS4 to TV to the Headphones

This option looked interesting, but I am not sure about it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The spoken volume is loud enough for me listening via the headphones connected to the controller, so I don't think a mini amp is something I need

Is there a headphone socket on the TV? Can you not just get something like this

Audio Extension Cable Kinps 10M Audio Auxiliary Stereo Extension Cable 3.5mm Male to Female, Stereo Jack Cord for Phones, Headphones, Speakers, Tablets, PCs, MP3 Players and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078MWB3H1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BttXAbVBVWWBW

Is there a headphone socket on the TV? Can you not just get something like this

Audio Extension Cable Kinps 10M Audio Auxiliary Stereo Extension Cable 3.5mm Male to Female, Stereo Jack Cord for Phones, Headphones, Speakers, Tablets, PCs, MP3 Players and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078MWB3H1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BttXAbVBVWWBW

On the TV in my bedroom there is a headphone socket and the headphone cable reaches luckily enough. The TV in the living room doesn't, it just has a L and R socket, I am not sure what it is called. So I could get an adapter for this, but if I am going the cable route in that room, I may as well connect it directly to the PS4.

I watched a few videos last night and have concluded something like this is the best option

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I could connect speakers to it if needs be(I have a soundbar though) I just need a headphone option so as not to make too much noise watching shows or gaming at night. The device above is an expensive version, I have seen ones for like 7 euro, but hopefully the extra few bob means better quality

• Advertisement

On the TV in my bedroom there is a headphone socket and the headphone cable reaches luckily enough. The TV in the living room doesn't, it just has a L and R socket, I am not sure what it is called. So I could get an adapter for this, but if I am going the cable route in that room, I may as well connect it directly to the PS4.

I watched a few videos last night and have concluded something like this is the best option

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I could connect speakers to it if needs be(I have a soundbar though) I just need a headphone option so as not to make too much noise watching shows or gaming at night. The device above is an expensive version, I have seen ones for like 7 euro, but hopefully the extra few bob means better quality

Ah grand yes I have a cheapo version of that and works on my 55ohm Senheisser bit for long cable runs I would go with the creative labs version

Ah grand yes I have a cheapo version of that and works on my 55ohm Senheisser bit for long cable runs I would go with the creative labs version

We have 1st world problems :)

Thanks for your advice on this

Advertisement