Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Mokuba wrote: »
    The baying mob will not allow him to return. They will pressure sponsors, pressure the IRFU. He needs to silence them if he wants to play for Ulster again in his life. Otherwise he will be forced to play abroad for the rest of his career.

he will earn decent money in france disgusting if he is forced abroad because of completely false rape allegations. Love to see him in the Ireland No 10 jersey again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The same people will decry the Twitter mobs for the #ibelieveher stance (not saying I agree with it), yet say nothing about the other Twitter mobs calling her a liar and a slag without any evidence she was lying.

She can sue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Augeo wrote: »
    what does this speel have to do with anything "Has won the Ulster schools cup (where you're treated like a god), from a good family, no previous convictions/never been in trouble with police, represented his province in professional rugby, represented his country in rugby, moved to the States on a scholarship for a few years, plays AIL rugby for the best club in Ulster" ?

Sorry what are you waffling about. You posted that the lad was working in a plastic factory and that was "karma".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Canterelle wrote: »
    Yes one of the defence barristers tried this on, which imo was totally unfair. Plenty of people use this way of recounting events past, especially painful ones. That is why she should have had separate legal representation so that this kind of stuff wouldn’t be just allowed. The barrister wrongly in my opinion planted the idea in juries minds that this meant she was repeating a rehearsed speech.

I think it was rehearsed, just not well enough, but thats just my opinion.

From what I understand she had NO legal representation. Which is mind boggling. She is considered a witness to the Crown Prosecutions case. Im not clear if she had a choice and decided not to bother, or if she had no choice. If the former, thats ridiculously naive at best, if the latter, its disgraceful at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I can't see him ending up with anything other than a big legal bill if that went all the way.

I'd imagine that'll be covered by the lawsuit against the BBC....

sorry link :

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

professore wrote: »
    Sidebaro wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone not understanding it until you. Usually people get the sarcasm.

Well you are probably a lot younger than me.  

When I was a teen a "nice guy" was a term of admiration.  A guy who helps people. A guy who would save someone's life.  A guy who would be there if you needed a friend.  a guy not boasting and bragging about his sexual prowess or about how he's a male feminist. A guy who would stand up for himself and others weaker than him. A guy not overly concerned about his appearance.

A guy that if he was with a girl and a second guy came along he would tell him to **** off.

A proper man.

What you are describing is a sleazebag.
    Good God. You see these little things " "? These are used to denote irony or sarcasm. Hence the difference between a nice guy and a "Nice Guy". I cannot believe this needs to be explained to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RuMan wrote: »
    Hope he takes Amadan to the cleaners. He had consensual sex and committed no crime. Disgusting the way people like Amadan think they can ignore the courts ruling

There is no chance whatsoever of Jackson going to court on this.
    Any lawyer (barrister?) would easily make it a rehash of the original trial. Jackson would be on the defensive, if anything would have to prove his innocence, which he would have difficulty doing I would suggest. He'd be nuts to open the can of worms again.

Been following the commentary during the week, and all I can say is WTF. I don't do twitter, but I never cease to be amazed about how the dumb, idiotic, and plain stupid attention seekers can't wait to spill their bile to all and sundry. That this includes public figures and politicians... Well... Says a lot about leadership in our society really.

wexie wrote: »

Time to take a stand against the Twitter mob. Stand up for the ulster man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

C__MC wrote: »
    Was there much uproar when Larry Murphy walked out of a jail as a convicted rapist? I can’t seem to remember, many protests? Just a genuine question

Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Not if he's willing to go to court over something as weak as O'Riordan's tweet. I can't see him ending up with anything other than a big legal bill if that went all the way.

Jackson will not need to go to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

wexie wrote: »

sorry link :

I'd doubt it. Very hard to imagine they'll be able to convince anyone that it wasn't in the public interest, which will no doubt be the BBC's defence, given the huge public interest in the trial and it's aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sheesh Met Eireann didnt warn us that there were going to be so many snowflakes this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Not familiar with the case: but the problems these guys face wasn't having a threesome - nothing wrong with that - it's the attitudes and language used in the whatsapp messages.

I think it's important not to tar them all with the same brush on that.

From anything I've seen reported, the only one of the four who really comes across badly is McIlroy, maybe Olding to a lesser extent. The whole tenor of the discussion was actually started by a different unnamed person in the group, not one of the four, who seems like a d*ck.

Jackson said very little, while Harrison comes across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd say the only thing wrong with half that crowd is they could do with a good night out in Coppers and let loose a little. Keeping up the pretence of man hating for little reason must be hard work when in reality 99.9999% of men are harmless.

True. Though Coppers is a kip.

These protests always full of unhinged men haters.

Always find it strange the whipped castrated men at these events.

They are Liable to be beaten to death with selfie sticks and camera tripods at amy moment if they brush off the wrong wrathful bitter feminst and she announces to the coven she has been sexually assualted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Haha great news re Aodhan O'Riordan. Lucking for cheap publicity and it has backfired spectacularly :)

Great opportunity here to hold people account for their daft ill-informed Tweets! Plenty more to come I imagine, given PJ's legal team are actively monitoring Social Media activity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Mokuba wrote: »
    The baying mob will not allow him to return. They will pressure sponsors, pressure the IRFU. He needs to silence them if he wants to play for Ulster again in his life. Otherwise he will be forced to play abroad for the rest of his career.

You don't "silence" people. You piss them off and you drive more support to them and make them more determined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

So if she goes to a party with lads which everyone does as a teenager, she deserves to get raped?
    Archaic arabic country alert alert!
    My male friend just said to me, if he had a daughter he wouldnt let her out he would be so afraid. I have also said that i will not bring a daughter up in this country. I cry looking at all these comments, it so so hard to change male views in this country. They seem to enjoy being cold callous and hard.

You realize the 4 guys have been acquitted of rape right?

Do we just disregard the rule of law now when we don’t like the decision? Archaic country alert seems about right so.

And why is the girls drinking somehow off the agenda while the boys drinking is seen as more evidence of their decadence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

They are Liable to be beaten to death with selfie sticks and camera tripods at amy moment if they brush off the wrong wrathful bitter feminst and she announces to the coven she has been sexually assualted.

Maybe I will get the ride if I pretend to LIKE women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This has been posted I guess.

Jackson to sue Labour senator over alleged defamatory tweet

www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0330/951154-belfast-rape-trial/
    Ulster and Ireland rugby player Paddy Jackson is to sue a Labour senator over an allegedly defamatory tweet he posted following Mr Jackson’s acquittal in the Belfast rape trial earlier this week.

In a statement issued by KRW Law, it said the legal action relates to a tweet sent by AodhRiord to a number of other persons "before it was eventually taken down".

---

Joy.
    schadenfreude
    ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/

noun
    noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

tritium wrote: »
    So if she goes to a party with lads which everyone does as a teenager, she deserves to get raped?
    Archaic arabic country alert alert!
    My male friend just said to me, if he had a daughter he wouldnt let her out he would be so afraid. I have also said that i will not bring a daughter up in this country. I cry looking at all these comments, it so so hard to change male views in this country. They seem to enjoy being cold callous and hard.

You realize the 4 guys have been acquitted of rape right?

Do we just disregard the rule of law now when we don’t like the decision? Archaic country alert seems about right so.

And why is the girls drinking somehow off the agenda while the boys drinking is seen as more evidence of their decadence?
    There are dozens upon dozens of people saying that women should not expect to go to a house party or back to someone's house after a night of drinking without things becoming sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

And these “subtle” comments, including the earlier one about the “smell of unwashed fanny” show the mindset that needs protesting against.

He's a fool, to win a defamation case he has to have a good name to defend. Even though he was celeard of the rape charge he does not have a good name after the text messages alone. He'd be better off looking for a team in France to take him on. What Irish sponsor will what a photo of him published with their logo on the jersey.

This could be settled out of court. Or it could be found in favour of Jackson, or against him in court. Jumping to the conclusion that he has no chance of winning is ill advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Social media at its best lately. There is a petation going about for the 4 lads never to play rugby for Ireland again. You couldn’t make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Murray and Zebo have had no issue with sponsors.

They make a video recording of themselves having a threesome - which finds its way onto the internet - but yet they are paragons of virtue with PR teams drip feeding softly softly press articles.

These men have been found not guilty and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

irishrebe wrote: »
    There are dozens upon dozens of people saying that women should not expect to go to a house party or back to someone's house after a night of drinking without things becoming sexual.

Having followed the trial, it seems Dara Florence and one of the other girls engaged in no sexual activity at all at the party - there was a suggestion that one other girl might have gone to a room with McIlroy.

• Advertisement

Feminazis, snowflakes, virtue-signalling, feminism is a cancer, etc - all the language of people who spend too much time on weird red-pill, PUA and women hating sites and youtube channels. Usually the same kind of people who are frothing at the mouth about immigrants, muslims and the unemployed.

Social media at its best lately. There is a petation going about for the 4 lads never to play rugby for Ireland again. You couldn’t make it up.

In fairness, I don't think that's going to be an issue for two of them at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Feminazis, snowflakes, virtue-signalling, feminism is a cancer, etc - all the language of people who spend too much time on weird red-pill, PUA and women hating sites and youtube channels. Usually the same kind of people who are frothing at the mouth about immigrants, muslims and the unemployed.

Generalise much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Damn. McIlroy looked like the next BOD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

These absolute morons want the IRFU to take action against Harrison and McIlroy

For what? They have no relationship with the IRFU.

It shows how much knowledge they have of the case. Cretins.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    Generalise much?

About people who use that kind of language? Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just saw the news about O Riordan getting sued, hilarious stuff! Im delighted and hope he gets taken to the wall with jackson refusing any settlement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

In fairness, I don't think that's going to be an issue for two of them at least.

Obviously, just a bandwagon petition in support of the non guilty verdict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

irishrebe wrote: »

There are dozens upon dozens of people applying a strange double standard to responsibility with respect to drink

There are dozens upon dozens of people refusing to accept a decision that a jury armed with all available facts came too

There are dozens upon dozens of people embarrassing themselves marching against a court decision they don’t like in a different country.

There are dozens upon dozens of people jumping at the chance to ruin the futures of four young men who have already been through hell and who have been cleared of the charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,202 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

torqtorq wrote: »
    Murray and Zebo have had no issue with sponsors.

They make a video recording of themselves having a threesome - which finds its way onto the internet - but yet they are paragons of virtue with PR teams drip feeding softly softly press articles.

These men have been found not guilty and should be treated as such.

True, though if such a video was to appear now in the wake of the trial, I'd imagine there would be a very different atmosphere and they'd be under scrutiny and taking a lot of flak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As opposed to the kind of people who froth at the mouth about White Male Privilege?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

These are the same type of people who show up to anti-trump rallies in the states . These men were tried in a court of law in a different country with a different judicial system to our own and were found not guilty. Yet this nonsense goes on. Its like a bunch of toddlers having a tantrum because they didn't get what they want.

They have no idea of the intricacy of a legal case like this, what evidence was presented to the jury etc. They base their opinions on the one sided tripe spouted by "social influencers" online as opposed to truly immersing themselves in the facts of the case.

Social media has done this - at its very heart, social media is destroying rational thinking and turning people into mobs baying for something someone else told them they should be baying for.

Society is doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

jr86 wrote: »
    Haha great news re Aodhan O'Riordan. Lucking for cheap publicity and it has backfired spectacularly :)

Great opportunity here to hold people account for their daft ill-informed Tweets! Plenty more to come I imagine, given PJ's legal team are actively monitoring Social Media activity

He wont be the last either many journos have started a campaign all female no doubt also the same ones pushing their views on social media an libel. My two cents on this thing is from now on NO MEDIA should be allowed in court and nobody should be named until verdict has been decided and no media or jpurnalists have their veiws aired on social media they should be blacklisted from such events again,trial by media and socialmedia is a major issue.

GreeBo wrote: »
    As opposed to the kind of people who froth at the mouth about White Male Privilege?

Yep. Irish people whinging about white privilege in a country where 98.6% of people are white is equally as daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Amalgam wrote: »
    This has been posted I guess.

Jackson to sue Labour senator over alleged defamatory tweet

www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0330/951154-belfast-rape-trial/

---

Joy.

He’s absolutely right .....it’s worrying that so many people are either missing or willfully ignoring the fact that he and his friends have been found not guilty.

Is it that hard to accept that when a man is found not guilty it might be because he actually is not guilty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Jackson would be well advised to keep his head down and stay quiet. Threatening politicians with spurious court cases would do little other than to keep the words Paddy Jackson, court and rape in the headlines.

Jackson has done himself no favours at all over the last two days.

Olding on the other hand showed at least some smarts with his statement.

Jackson should be aware that if he goes ahead with his action against O'Riordain he'll be:

i) Securing O'Riordain's re-election to the Dail.
    ii) On, at best, very shaky legal ground for an action.
    iii) Only bringing more trouble upon himself.

He's being extremely badly advised here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

When I heard the news just now about O'Riordan getting sued, I came on here fully expecting it to have put the ****s up boards and for this thread to have been locked if not removed entirely.

It won't last the day surely! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

hill16bhoy wrote: »

Jackson should should be aware that if he goes ahead with his action against O'Riordain he'll be:

Wrong on all 3 counts. Spectacularly so.

Anything published in a newspaper or broadcast on radio or TV is subject to the law. There have been many court cases. The exact same law applies to anything published on the internet. In time lawyers will go after people on the likes of Twitter and that will bring them into line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just saw the news about O Riordan getting sued, hilarious stuff! Im delighted and hope he gets taken to the wall with jackson refusing any settlement

Why he getting sued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you are talking through your hoop....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It doesn't mean that they did it and got away with it either like many on here seem to be suggesting.

If I was accused of rape and found not guilty, I'd be very p1ssed off if people were going online and saying that I did it even when I was found not guilty.

Nobody knows what happened for sure except the parties involved. The state's case wasn't proven, therefore the jury felt they could not convict based on the evidence presented.

Rape cases are notoriously difficult to prove. Jackson and Olding were found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and they therefore are free men and innocent in the eyes of the law. This does not mean the other party in the case was lying. To affirmatively state she was lying, she would need to be convicted of deliberately and maliciously giving false evidence. It could well be that she felt she was raped, that she had not fully consented - that doesn't make her a liar.

OJ Simpson was found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but was later sued in Civil court and lost where the preponderance of evidence is much lower. This is why I feel the prosecution services need to be sure they have a very strong case before they bring these cases - all parties in this case have been put through hell and the fallout has been immense for every one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Jackson should be aware that if he goes ahead with his action against O'Riordain he'll be:

I disagree completely

Because
    i) O'Riordain's is not elected to the Dail for him to be "re-elected" to it
    ii) Saying someone got off because they are well connected and not because they are innocent is by no means shaky ground.
    iii) May also be bring lots of coin onto himself.....which he may very well need now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I would prefer not to have men who speaks about women like they did on their whatsapp messages to be seen as a good example . I wouldn't like to think that young boys or girls would see them as heroes to look up to . Think what you like of that kind of behaviour and language about a young woman but I am entitled to my opinion too . Thankfully no men in my life would dream of demeaning women like that .

• Advertisement

Jackson should should be aware that if he goes ahead with his action against O'Riordain he'll be:

Jacko was found not guilty. Failed and uneltected politician Amadan needs to realise that.

Amadan will apologise he's ur typical whiny left politician all bluster but folds when it is put up to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement