Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heater changeout for Vertical Electric Rads

Options
  • 28-03-2018 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I was just wondering if this is a big job to do, our heating in our hall and kitchen/living area is currently supplied by two big dimplex storage heaters that are probably about 20 years old.

Is it a straight swap to change these for vertical electric heaters? I've seen ones online with bluetooth and stuff on them but don't know anyone who owns one and if they're any good. I can post links to one's I've seen online if anyone wants to know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It shouldn’t be difficult to swap out assuming that the existing storage heater is wired correctly. As a rule it is best to avoid any type of electrical heating if at all possible as it is so expensive to heat any premises in this way (despite being 100% efficient).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IBrows89

2011 wrote: »
    It shouldn’t be difficult to swap out assuming that the existing storage heater is wired correctly. As a rule it is best to avoid any type of electrical heating if at all possible as it is so expensive to heat any premises in this way (despite being 100% efficient).

Thanks a million, unfortunately it isn't cost effective at this time to change the whole heating system in the house. The house is fairly small and we only use these two heaters and if we use the stove one of them isn't in use at all.

I assume if we replace the 20 year old heaters with new ones the economy would be much better? I've no idea how or if the technology has changed too much since they were installed, it's the first time in a house with electric/storage heaters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IBrows89 wrote: »
    I assume if we replace the 20 year old heaters with new ones the economy would be much better?

No.
    10kWh of heat from any electrical heater will cost exactly the same amount.
    However the new heater may offer better control.

Whereas 10kWh of heat from gas or oil will cost less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

In reality though, users pay for the entire process to power an electric heater, most of which is pre-meter, not just the last bit of energy conversion.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    In reality though, users pay for the entire process to power an electric heater, most of which is pre-meter, not just the last bit of energy conversion.

Agreed but stating that electrical heaters are 100% efficient is a commonly used sales tactic. The problem is that most people don’t understand what efficiency actually means. They then jump to conclusions when comparing an electrical heater with 100% efficiency to a gas boiler with 90% efficiency.

Advertisement