Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone cashed a cheque recently???

• 28-03-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. My son received a cheque for work experience, not much. Not really worth opening an account. Is it possible for him to cash it? It's an Ulster Bank cheque but they say he must open an account.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Everyone needs an account anyways, may as well get started. I had one in my name from the age of about 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cashing cheques, or accepting 3rd party endorsed cheques is no longer possible and hasn't been for years.

You can only lodge a cheque into a named account. He would need to open a bank account of some sort.

I'd suggest shopping around for the best deal. They usually have student offers with no fees at several of the banks.
    NB: Some of the banks are electronic-only i.e. don't do over the counter cash / paper transactions. So, you might need to stick with AIB, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank and PTSB if he's going to be getting paid by cheque.

If he can get paid by electronic transfer, you can add KBC and Number 26 to the list.

It's very hard to function in Ireland without a bank account and a debit card in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

If your son is old enough to do work experience then he really should have a bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

First pay cheque! Something special!

You could give him the money(you said it wasn't much) and say you will cash it yourself.

Then frame it and give it back as a birthday present when he is older and might appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lu Tze wrote: »
    First pay cheque! Something special!

You could give him the money(you said it wasn't much) and say you will cash it yourself.

Then frame it and give it back as a birthday present when he is older and might appreciate it!

Ah here, are we really that precious about fairly humdrum events these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Work experience is about teaching the kid how the world of work ... works.

That includes learning how getting paid via a bank account works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

As others have posted, he absolutely should open an account.

If you need quick access to the funds boi and kbc at least will still accept an endorsed cheque as long as its not crossed (marked account payee only). If it is crossed then you have no option.
    If its not crossed and you're lodging to your account I recommend you take your son into the branch with some id and he can endorse it in front of the cashier. You shouldnt have any problems.

As for direct cashing it, youll be hard pushed to get a bank to do it as theres no tracing of funds in case it was fraudulently done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the cheque is crossed, it must be paid into a bank account - but not necessarily an account in the payee's name.

You could get him to endorse it, and lodge it into your account.

If the cheque is uncrossed, the bank on which is drawn is legally obliged to cash it.

Banks are trying to kill off cheques as a means of payment, but they have not yet achieved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

We are a while off having Cheques being cashed to bitcoin accounts

Get your son to open a bank account
    He needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭huddlejonny

Hi folks. My son received a cheque for work experience, not much. Not really worth opening an account. Is it possible for him to cash it? It's an Ulster Bank cheque but they say he must open an account.

Whatever about cashing a cheque but you could get him a Revolut debit card. No credit involved and no fees either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement