Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in town centre Easter Saturday

• 28-03-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

What are the best options around Dunnes/Tesco etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Rockfish wrote: »
    What are the best options around Dunnes/Tesco etc?

Parking on a Sunday in a lot of pay and display places on roads are free on a Sunday. This does not include private car parks like quayside etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

T-Bird wrote: »
    Parking on a Sunday in a lot of pay and display places on roads are free on a Sunday. This does not include private car parks like quayside etc.

Sunday Parking in Sligo is NOT free! Same restrictions apply, with paid parking starting at 12 or 12.30. That goes for most of car parks and pay and display areas.

From the CoCo Website here
    Parking Charges apply

Between the hours of 8.30am and 6.30 pm – Monday to Saturday inclusive
    Between 12 noon and 6.00pm on Public Holidays.

and charges, and locations here

Hour charges most places are €1.20/hr. Max of 2hr stay. Daily Carparks are €3/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I always park in the Abbey car park every time for town. It's only .80 cent per hour, 1.60 cent for the 2 hours and a short walk down Castle Street brings you close to Tesco and Dunnes. Be warned though, the Parking Meters on the main road near the Abbey are the usual 1.20/2.40 car park charges. It's the meter in the car park itself that has the lower rates.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Sunday Parking in Sligo is NOT free! Same restrictions apply, with paid parking starting at 12 or 12.30. That goes for most of car parks and pay and display areas.

Hour charges most places are €1.20/hr. Max of 2hr stay. Daily Carparks are €3/day.

I knew someone would argue...

Firstly, I was almost sure the heading said Sunday. So apologies.

Secondly, your correct with all you say regarding websites and signs etc. They did not update the information. They announced a year or so ago (and also mentioned in the Sligo forum somewhere, can't remember where) that parking fee was going up by the hour and Sundays were going to be free. I had same argument with oh and we couldn't find it anywhere. We have been in town three Sundays so far this year, last time was Sunday gone. We parked on Stevens St and meters say something like out of operation or something like that. We also have parked opposite Heatons and same there.

It isn't free on the open car parks like the one opposite the ship and harp. But you can park on the road next to the pizza place.

To save further argument, please feel free to see for yourself on a Sunday.

https://amp.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/sunday-parking-charges-scrapped-31338719.html

This isn't the link I was looking for, but says same thing more or less. Didn't think it was that long ago though.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    I knew someone would argue...

Firstly, I was almost sure the heading said Sunday. So apologies.

Secondly, your correct with all you say regarding websites and signs etc. They did not update the information. They announced a year or so ago (and also mentioned in the Sligo forum somewhere, can't remember where) that parking fee was going up by the hour and Sundays were going to be free. I had same argument with oh and we couldn't find it anywhere. We have been in town three Sundays so far this year, last time was Sunday gone. We parked on Stevens St and meters say something like out of operation or something like that. We also have parked opposite Heatons and same there.

It isn't free on the open car parks like the one opposite the ship and harp. But you can park on the road next to the pizza place.

To save further argument, please feel free to see for yourself on a Sunday.

Oddly, I thought the OPs title said Sunday as well. I will though have a look next time I am in town, as was pretty sure Sunday charges did apply, regardless of what it says on the CoCos website, and certainly in the Car Parks such as Wine/Quay/Stephens Street.

Oddly, I thought the OPs title said Sunday as well. I will though have a look next time I am in town, as was pretty sure Sunday charges did apply, regardless of what it says on the CoCos website, and certainly in the Car Parks such as Wine/Quay/Stephens Street.

Another link here http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=37002

But it is pathetic and typical of Sligo. Sure, more than half the shops are still closed on a Sunday.

Last year, when I said the same about this to my wife she showed me all the websites and the like. So one Sunday on a Sunday drive, coincidently going to Sligo I suggested that we just have a look.. We parked in the carpark opposite the harp and had a look at the cars. 80% had no tickets displayed and 20% did. But the pay and display was working. Then being stubborn, I went over to the parking meter on the road near the pizza shop, it was blank and so was the one after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The link you provided doesn't even mention Sundays.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The link you provided doesn't even mention Sundays.

Ha! Thats why I couldn't find it either. I was originaly scanning for something like "parking on Sunday is free"

It just has

Charges and Business Hours

Parking Charges apply

Between the hours of 8.30am and 6.30 pm – Monday to Saturday inclusive
    Between 12 noon and 6.00pm on Public Holidays.

Slightly off topic, we were walking along the road after coming from the cinema one Sunday evening at about 10:30PM. Two Guardi were having a field day putting parking tickets on all the cars parked on the double yellow lines going towards Dunnes. We thought it was a bit strange and stopped to look at the parking sign. After reading the sign I just gave a little laugh and said that they will be in trouble tomorrow. The parking restriction was until 9PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

You say it's not free but the link you gave implies it is. So according to council site it does not mention charges apply on Sundays. So parking is free. Enough said

• Advertisement

Opps. My bad. I'll slowly back away, and say no more.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

This was in Last week's weekender for anyone wondering about Sunday parking in Sligo.

IMG_20180404.jpg

This was in Last week's weekender for anyone wondering about Sunday parking in Sligo.

IMG_20180404.jpg

Yet the signs in the car parks still advertise as paid parking 12-6 on Sundays. At least they were in Wine Street on Monday evening.

It was the same a few Xmas's ago. Free parking advertised, well advertised on a small sticker on the meters, yet the meters were still taking money.

Advertisement