Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish restaurant in the city

• 28-03-2018 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Has anyone been to https://www.sole.ie/ yet? I am looking for a good Seafood restaurant in the city to wow someone (professional reasons) and want something different that offers fish & different seafood :confused:

I really like the look of it. Just want to confirm if anyone's been there yet?
    Would appreciate some opinions
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't been to Sole yet, but will note some backups, all of which I have been to and enjoyed...
    http://clifftownhouse.ie/restaurant/
    https://mattthethresher.ie/

And nearby in Ballsbridge:
    http://www.thelobsterpot.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to https://www.sole.ie/ yet? I am looking for a good Seafood restaurant in the city to wow someone (professional reasons) and want something different that offers fish & different seafood :confused:

I really like the look of it. Just want to confirm if anyone's been there yet?
    Would appreciate some opinions

Sole is pretty new. I didn't even know it had opened yet.
    Two places off the top of my head -
    Rosa Madre in Temple Bar - Italian - http://www.rosamadre.ie/
    Catch22 on Clarendon street http://www.catch-22.ie/

Haven't gotten to catch 22 yet, but any time I passed during lunch it was packed. Rosa Madre is really good, though it has been a little while since I've been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Matt the Thresher would be a good place to take a client or professional acquaintance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not city centre but Aqua in Howth for an evening meal go when daylight so you get the sunset over the west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

Catch 22 is ok, just not a great menu, it's fairly limited. In saying that great service and I enjoyed the atmosphere. Haven't been to their new premises yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I haven't been to Sole, it's a bit pricey for me :D but it does look beautiful from the outside looking in anyway. It would certainly impress from that perspective. Apparently it is a sister restaurant to Fire in the Mansion House so I'm assuming the quality would be very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw a review of Sole recently and they weren't impressed.
    Crazy Celtic Tiger-esque prices didn't help it.
    Some places in Howth might be worth a look? Aqua as mentioned above?

Matt the Ts is a solid spot. Michelle Obama had lunch there last time they were over... if u want to impress

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Lobster Pot in Ballsbridge isn't worth a curse these days. Not looking for modern dining is one thing, but I've been very unimpressed the few times I've been. Relic of a different era.

Matt's off Baggot Street does a very good feed. Cliff Town House is very good as well, if a little bit overpriced for what they offer. Don't go near their tapas place down stairs - name escapes me at the moment. Location is top class if looking to impress.

The new restaurant in the Merrion Hotel is meant to be very good when it comes to seafood.

Aqua in Howth is always top class, and the views are spectacular if you ask for a window table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Fish Shop on Queen Street is excellent, but might not be swish enough!
    ( & a pint in Frank Ryan's next door is a must)

http://fish-shop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Klaw in Temple Bar is very good as well. The new restaurant, not the crabschack place. Which is very good, but not a place to linger.

Fishbone in Clontarf is also worth a visit. The seafood restaurant scene in Dublin has come on heaps in the last few years. Finally have restaurants befitting the capital city of an island nation with access to world class seafood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

This is probably not of great help as I can't recall the name of the restaurant and have thrown out the paper...but there was an excellent review of a restaurant in Merrion in the Irish Timed yesterday that that changed its emphasis to fish. It was a one word name but for the life of me i can't recall it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wouldn’t take my worst enemy to Matt the Treshers.

The Klaw Seafood Cafe in Templebar is pretty good. Rosa Madre also does really good seafood. Cliff Town House would be quite polushed and Smart, perfect for a business lunch.

amtc is referring to Michael’s of Mount Merrion, which is my favourite seafood place in the city, but it is out of town. Insanely good seafood though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ would like to hear the bad experience in Matt's dudara.
    Haven't been in a good while, but always rated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Made for tourists and people willing to pay over the odds. Ladies toilets used to smell badly (IMO, i stoped going after the last waft of urine, so I can’t comment if it has improved)and I’m yet to meet a single person who actually enjoyed it, despite going there regularly for business meals. It’s one of these places whose existence I just don’t quite understand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dudara wrote: »
    I wouldn’t take my worst enemy to Matt the Treshers.

The Klaw Seafood Cafe in Templebar is pretty good. Rosa Madre also does really good seafood. Cliff Town House would be quite polushed and Smart, perfect for a business lunch.

amtc is referring to Michael’s of Mount Merrion, which is my favourite seafood place in the city, but it is out of town. Insanely good seafood though.

Another mention for Rosa Madre, very good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Finally go around and went to Sole for a celebration after Christmas and would really recommend it! Very good quality and service. Yes probably not on the cheap side but for a special occasion 5 out of 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

amtc wrote: »
    This is probably not of great help as I can't recall the name of the restaurant and have thrown out the paper...but there was an excellent review of a restaurant in Merrion in the Irish Timed yesterday that that changed its emphasis to fish. It was a one word name but for the life of me i can't recall it.

Bit of a late follow up to that, but it would probably be Michael's in Mount Merrion. They have a real focus of seafood, and a nice community feel to the place.
    There were a lot of really good write ups last year.
    It's our local, "fancier than Milano's" option and always reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have to agree Michaels is the best seafood restaurant in Dublin
    Food is amazing and the stay are fabulous
    Wish I lived nearer

Advertisement