Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering an old UK car in Ireland

Options
  • 28-03-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am UK resident that moved to Ireland last year but left my car at my parents still taxed and insured. On 15 Jan 2018 brought it over to Ireland, my UK insurer told that me car is covered for 3 months under an EU green card scheme which runs out on the 15th April. I would like to register it over here. I believe I can get a VRT exemption because have proof that it is owned in UK since August 2016. But because I have driven it over here for nearly 3 months before hand does mean I won't get VRT the exception?

Also I am living with family in Ireland so I have no bills or leases etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

slider162 wrote: »
    I am UK resident that moved to Ireland last year but left my car at my parents still taxed and insured. On 15 Jan 2018 brought it over to Ireland, my UK insurer told that me car is covered for 3 months under an EU green card scheme which runs out on the 15th April. I would like to register it over here. I believe I can get a VRT exemption because have proof that it is owned in UK since August 2016. But because I have driven it over here for nearly 3 months before hand does mean I won't get VRT the exception?

Also I am living with family in Ireland so I have no bills or leases etc

It has to be owned and used by you for 6 months before you moved to Ireland.
    As you're saying you owned it since August 2016, but moved to Ireland in 2017, then it should be more than 6 months (assuming it wasn't January or February 2017 when you moved here, but later).

AFAIR you have one year, from time you moved to proceed with your VRT exemption.

You will need some kind of proof that you're now resident in Ireland. Proof of address, and probably proof of employment/etc...

Advertisement