Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jose Urena gets 6 games for hitting Acuna. Most (if not all) suspensions seem to get reduced on appeal so I presume he'll end up serving 3 or so which is only 1 start. Not enough in my opinion, especially as Acuna could have been seriously hurt.

Mets/Phillies only on Facebook so I've resorted to listening to the radio feed which I've rarely done but I must say it's quite an enjoyable way to follow the game. I suppose it depends on the broadcasters but these guys are pleasant to listen to.

Pity the game itself is a farce though. It's a first of a double header and the Phillies gave up 10 unearned runs early on so to save their bullpen for game 2, they started using position players to pitch in the 7th.

This is getting stupid now. The Phillies position players can't throw a strike to save their lives so it ended up in a complete role reversal with one bloke pitching to Mets reliever (Jerry Blevins) who has 3 at-bats in 12 years in the majors.

The Mets were on the receiving end of one of these from the Nationals a few weeks back and Jose Reyes was throwing up lollypops to hit so I don't know what the solution is for blowouts, especially in double header days but this is ridiculous now.

This is getting stupid now. The Phillies position players can't throw a strike to save their lives so it ended up in a complete role reversal with one bloke pitching to Mets reliever (Jerry Blevins) who has 3 at-bats in 12 years in the majors.

The Mets were on the receiving end of one of these from the Nationals a few weeks back and Jose Reyes was throwing up lollypops to hit so I don't know what the solution is for blowouts, especially in double header days but this is ridiculous now.

Now watch Philly go put 24 on the Mets in game 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Now watch Philly go put 24 on the Mets in game 2!!

Not quite, but still, 46 runs in the last 3 games. Probably means the offense shuts down now for the rest of the season.

Anyone else looking forward to a Yankees v Astros wild card game?

A’s now tied for the top of the ALW.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Can someone tell me when oakland got good?.They have the same roster basically as last few seasons and there one of the best teams in baseball the last few months.It really is hard at times to be a mariners fan,no playoff game in 17 years and now were 3 and a half games behind oakland with less than 40 games to go.

Can someone tell me when oakland got good?.

No idea but they've just 2 HRs off Verlander in the 1st in today's game!

The Mets have been alright recently and it's been a few weeks since they embarrassed themselves so 2 players colliding into each other and dropping the ball, gifting the win to the Giants, lets us know they're still the same old Mets.

The Mets have been alright recently and it's been a few weeks since they embarrassed themselves so 2 players colliding into each other and dropping the ball, gifting the win to the Giants, lets us know they're still the same old Mets.

Last year's top two Mets prospects, too!

And, the offense, which showed signs of life vs. the Phlllies, back into the box yesterday. Wheeler pitched a gem for them, left with a no decision.

Ahh well, the best thing the Mets accomplished this year, was destroying my hopes for this season early on so I could spend a lot more time on life and less worrying about what the Mets are doing. Like herself says, "They do it to break your heart."

Still, I do tune in when deGrom is pitching, fun to watch and he's got a slight chance at the Cy Young.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ahh well, the best thing the Mets accomplished this year, was destroying my hopes for this season early on so I could spend a lot more time on life and less worrying about what the Mets are doing. Like herself says, "They do it to break your heart."

Ha ha, yes that’s so true.

Normally I’d wake up in the morning and check the score/highlights from the night’s game and the outcome would either make me happy or sad.

The past few months I just shrug the shoulders and move on. In previous years last night would have me annoyed for a few hours. I actually laughed this morning when I saw it.

AL West is really hotting up and great for the neutral. Another win for Seattle/loss for Houston last night.

Going to be great the last 6 weeks here, especially if Houston can’t snap out of it.

The Nats, as a lot teams do this time of year, even if they have no intention of doing anything, placed some of their roster on revocable waivers and apparently Daniel Murphy’s been claimed by someone.

Interesting to see if they do a trade. He’s more than likely gone at the end of the season And unless they give him a qualifying offer, they’ll get nothing for him.

Trading him now though is the same as throwing in the towel on the season and despite being 6.5 games back and not playing at all well, I don’t see the season as being a lost cause yet. The Braves got swept at the weekend and the Phillies lost a series to the Mets so its not like they’re chasing down the Red Sox and there’s still 5 weeks or so to go.

I do like Murph though and would love to see him with one of the contenders in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The Nats, as a lot teams do this time of year, even if they have no intention of doing anything, placed some of their roster on revocable waivers and apparently Daniel Murphy’s been claimed by someone.

Interesting to see if they do a trade. He’s more than likely gone at the end of the season And unless they give him a qualifying offer, they’ll get nothing for him.

Trading him now though is the same as throwing in the towel on the season and despite being 6.5 games back and not playing at all well, I don’t see the season as being a lost cause yet. The Braves got swept at the weekend and the Phillies lost a series to the Mets so its not like they’re chasing down the Red Sox and there’s still 5 weeks or so to go.

I do like Murph though and would love to see him with one of the contenders in the playoffs.

Cubs is the rumour

8-10 wrote: »
    Cubs is the rumour

Probably having nightmares about him in the NLCS in '15. If he's with them, he can't be doing that to them again.

Cubs is the rumour

Deal close to getting done apparently. I'm kind of shocked. Didn't think they'd do it.

Matt Adams to the Cardinals too. Fire sale under way.

EDIT - Deal done for Murph. Some single A scrub and a bit of cash. Apparently the Dodgers claimed Harper too but the Nats pulled back on that one. Probably one too far to try and sell to the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Cubs is the rumour

Deal close to getting done apparently. I'm kind of shocked. Didn't think they'd do it.

Matt Adams to the Cardinals too. Fire sale under way.

EDIT - Deal done for Murph. Some single A scrub and a bit of cash. Apparently the Dodgers claimed Harper too but the Nats pulled back on that one. Probably one too far to try and sell to the fans.

We'll at least we won't have Murphy tormenting quite as much any more.

Fair play to the Dodgers for changing their arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Anyone else looking forward to a Yankees v Astros wild card game?

A’s now tied for the top of the ALW.

Not me, unless Yankees get home field advantage

For a neutral I would see it as one of the top wildcard card games if it happens, more likely to be Yankees v A's as I can see Astro's getting their grove back :D

ShyMets wrote: »

Sign him back in the offseason, move Frazier to 1st, McNeil to 3d, Murphy to 2d. Makes a nice infield that fields well enough and can hit. Put Wilmer on the bench. Give Alonso another year in the minors.

Never wanted to see Murphy go esp. after that 2015 postseason. Neil Walker filled in o.k. for awhile but was hurt too much. Might've finally found the full time replacement with McNeil, too soon to tell but so far so good. No Gregg Jeffries, but he can hit and field enough.

Sign him back in the offseason, move Frazier to 1st, McNeil to 3d, Murphy to 2d. Makes a nice infield that fields well enough and can hit. Put Wilmer on the bench. Give Alonso another year in the minors.

Don’t forget Reyes. You have to fit him in somewhere one the Wilpons insist the new GM gives him another contract.

ShyMets wrote: »

Never wanted to see Murphy go esp. after that 2015 postseason. Neil Walker filled in o.k. for awhile but was hurt too much. Might've finally found the full time replacement with McNeil, too soon to tell but so far so good. No Gregg Jeffries, but he can hit and field enough.

That's a soild plan. Sadly far too sensible for Wilpons.

• Advertisement

The big question with that is are you willing to put up with Murph's poor defence at 2B that goes along with his offence? I'd prefer to see him at 1st and leave the rest as is. Wilmer and TL Rivera as the backups. Small sample size I know but McNeill has looked decent enough defensively the small bits I've seen of him.

But we all know deep down that the Mets aren't going to spend money to bring him back anyway.

2019 schedules has been released if anyones interested?

2019 schedules has been released if anyones interested?

Y*****s/Red Sox in London.

The big question with that is are you willing to put up with Murph's poor defence at 2B that goes along with his offence? I'd prefer to see him at 1st and leave the rest as is. Wilmer and TL Rivera as the backups. Small sample size I know but McNeill has looked decent enough defensively the small bits I've seen of him.

But we all know deep down that the Mets aren't going to spend money to bring him back anyway.

Not a hope they'll bring back Murphy.

However I am looking forward to the raft of overpriced veterans they bring in during the off season

Matt Harvey’s been claimed by someone apparently.

It was always the Reds plan to shift him but a couple of bad outings around the deadline scuppered that idea but looks look ie a trade could be on the works now.

No more than a number 5 starter at this stage but might be useful down the stretch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Could it be the Cubs??

The 3 leading contenders for the NL Cy Young (Scherzer, deGrom, Nola) all went today and all the talk was about deGrom or Scherzer but the only one of the 3 to not give up a run was Nola.

8 shut out innings, completely dominating.

Bumgarner did what he always does at CitiField as well and completely owned the place.

Could it be the Cubs??

Brewers apparently. Don't know if they've agreed a trade yet though.

Brewers apparently. Don't know if they've agreed a trade yet though.
    https://twitter.com/nightengalejr/status/1033039180811653122

Murph loves Wrigley Field. Another HR there.

• Advertisement

Joey Bats likely on his way to Philly (claimed and deal imminent but not confirmed yet).

Mets/Cubs game resumes today in the 10th inning, at 1:10p.m. EST (6:10p.m. local.) Then presumably after that finishes, an hour later today's game gets going, so chance to see a couple games today at not too late a start time.

LGM!

Mets/Cubs game resumes today in the 10th inning, at 1:10p.m. EST (6:10p.m. local.) Then presumably after that finishes, an hour later today's game gets going, so chance to see a couple games today at not too late a start time.

LGM!

I hope you didn't rush home from anywhere to watch this. 2 innings, 2 inning ending double plays. Let's Go Mets indeed!

EDIT - Seriously, I hope you didn't miss out on anything to watch this. Bottom of the 11th, Sewald balloons the bunted ball nearly into the stands allowing runner on first to go to third from which he eventually scores. I hate this team so much.

Although not as bad a way to lose as the Phillies last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yankees might be fighting for something and I'm sure Boston would love to annoy them so they mightn't lay down fully. I'd definitely go if I was you.

Got a ticket for the Friday game anyway. Red Sox are slumping a bit and Yankees are catching so might be something to play for. Not a cheap ticket in any case.

Got a ticket for the Friday game anyway. Red Sox are slumping a bit and Yankees are catching so might be something to play for. Not a cheap ticket in any case.

Might get to see Andrew McCutchen play as he’s been traded to the Yankees from SF.

I booked myself a little baseball road trip in September (no great games but racking up a few more ballparks)

Marlins@Mets
    Jays@Yankees
    Mets@Phillies
    Jays@Orioles
    Mets@Washington

will get me up to 10/30 ballparks, looking forward to Camden Yards obviously other than that Nats Park

Josh Donaldson to the Indians apparently. Cardinals, Braves and Yankees were also interested, though not sure I believe the Yankees were ever seriously in.

Josh Donaldson to the Indians apparently. Cardinals, Braves and Yankees were also interested, though not sure I believe the Yankees were ever seriously in.

A sad day, I spent most of last night watching highlights of donaldson in his time here. Right decision to cut ties, relationship between upper management and Donaldson seems to have gotten a bit sour. Shame it ended this way but 3B open to Vladdy Jnr next season!

A sad day, I spent most of last night watching highlights of donaldson in his time here. Right decision to cut ties, relationship between upper management and Donaldson seems to have gotten a bit sour. Shame it ended this way but 3B open to Vladdy Jnr next season!

I think their plan was to try and deal him by July deadline but then he got injured. Sad to see the relationship break down but it's also an open question if he will come back to the same level.

Indians are in Toronto on Thursday next week too.

• Advertisement

I think their plan was to try and deal him by July deadline but then he got injured. Sad to see the relationship break down but it's also an open question if he will come back to the same level.

Indians are in Toronto on Thursday next week too.

absolutely, a lot of people here think he should have been traded last offseason but hindsight is 20-20.

I am gonna go to the game on Saturday, hopefully Donaldson will be playing. I think he has to go straight into the big league side, they aren't allowed put him in the minors to get rid of some more rust

absolutely, a lot of people here think he should have been traded last offseason but hindsight is 20-20.

I am gonna go to the game on Saturday, hopefully Donaldson will be playing. I think he has to go straight into the big league side, they aren't allowed put him in the minors to get rid of some more rust

A player can't be traded while on the DL, so by extension any traded player has to be put into the 40 man roster. I wouldn't say he'll be starting, probably coming off the bench.

Ohtani is back pitching against the Astros tonight - Angels going for a 4 game series win.

Ohtani is back pitching against the Astros tonight - Angels going for a 4 game series win.

Would like to see that but it's the night game so past my bedtime.

If only the Red Sox and Yankees had a series this weekend.

Got Eir TV installed last week, so have ESPN again, woohoo

Managed to sit down last night, and watch the full Dodgers and D-Backs game.
    Very good pitchers duel, and fantastic finish.

Going to be a tight September in the NL West. One bad losing streak could be huge.

Got Eir TV installed last week, so have ESPN again, woohoo

Managed to sit down last night, and watch the full Dodgers and D-Backs game.
    Very good pitchers duel, and fantastic finish.

Going to be a tight September in the NL West. One bad losing streak could be huge.

Braves v Red Sox at 6pm today. Nice game for a Monday evening!

• Advertisement

Braves v Red Sox at 6pm today. Nice game for a Monday evening!

Got to be selective with the games I watch. The wife cant stand baseball

Donaldson went back on the 10 day DL so will definitely not be appearing in the series against Blue Jays.

Box scores are ridiculous now that rosters are at 40.

What's going on in Seattle lads?

What's going on in Seattle lads?

Dee Gordon dropped a very routine fly ball and apparently Segura took exception to it. Rumours around that Segura hasn't been a team player lately making himself unavailable for selection. That's what led to the skirmish in the clubhouse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement