Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice - Ending periodic tenancy with Landlord

Options
  • 28-03-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am currently renting with my partner, but we are now planning on moving to another county for work. We recently were served notice from our landlord that the rent would be increasing in a few months time, though we are planning to be out before then.

I am wondering which is the appropriate notice to give, as I see two options based off of the Residential Tenancies Act:
    1. Our next rent is due early next month, so we pay that and end the tenancy after the month is up (so 30 days notice)
    2. We have been renting on a periodic tenancy for between 2 to 3 years, so 56 days notice is required, and we suggest this as the end date (it will overlap with our new tenancy in the area we are moving to, but the rent isn't crazy so can manage)

I want to draft up an official letter, though we will contact the landlord by phone also.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Barti wrote: »
    I am currently renting with my partner, but we are now planning on moving to another county for work. We recently were served notice from our landlord that the rent would be increasing in a few months time, though we are planning to be out before then.

I am wondering which is the appropriate notice to give, as I see two options based off of the Residential Tenancies Act:
    1. Our next rent is due early next month, so we pay that and end the tenancy after the month is up (so 30 days notice)
    2. We have been renting on a periodic tenancy for between 2 to 3 years, so 56 days notice is required, and we suggest this as the end date (it will overlap with our new tenancy in the area we are moving to, but the rent isn't crazy so can manage)

I want to draft up an official letter, though we will contact the landlord by phone also.

The first option is not based on the Residential Tenancies Act. the best thing to do is contact the landlord and explain that you will be moving. Tell him the date you intend to be in the new accommodation. When he agrees to the new date give him a formal notice of termination for that date and recite in the notice that he has agreed to that date.

Advertisement