Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend what to replace lavender with

Options
  • 28-03-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

See attache :) we have a long curved edge of a garden bordered with lavender. It’s all dying off, either we pruned too aggressively or other damage. Replacement plant never took hold for some reason. Would like to start again, but not sure what to change with. Ideally something that lasts all year round but would consider anything. Was thinking a mixed heather, I know by the time I’ve planted the heather season will have passed but it might suit. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lavender is really nice in the garden so I'd suggest trying it again somewhere if it has not worked in the spot in the picture. My impression from the picture is that that spot could be a bit exposed to cold winds and it might need to be more sheltered by neighboring plants to succeed. I think from a fragrance perspective winter box (sarcococca) might be worth considering, although it does flower more in winter when you might not be in the garden as much. For the pollinators and summer flowers maybe butterfly bush (budleja) might be worth considering and I have some shrubs I like listed on the linked play list. Pieris forest flame or photinia red robin might be the best for year round interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

macraignil wrote: »
    Lavender is really nice in the garden so I'd suggest trying it again somewhere if it has not worked in the spot in the picture. My impression from the picture is that that spot could be a bit exposed to cold winds and it might need to be more sheltered by neighboring plants to succeed. I think from a fragrance perspective winter box (sarcococca) might be worth considering, although it does flower more in winter when you might not be in the garden as much. For the pollinators and summer flowers maybe butterfly bush (budleja) might be worth considering and I have some shrubs I like listed on the linked play list. Pieris forest flame or photinia red robin might be the best for year round interest.

You’re right it’s quite exposed and can get windy. Do you mean layer in two rows, having hardier plants on the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ornamental grasses? Would be nice blowing in the wind.

You’re right it’s quite exposed and can get windy. Do you mean layer in two rows, having hardier plants on the outside?

I reckon the flower bed along the driveway in the photo could be a little narrow for a double row of many types of shrub but even alternating lavender with something hardier would give it some protection. I have some lavander behind the house that is in a flower bed right next to a strong growing ceanothus shrub that I thought would have grown over and out-competed the lavender by now. The lavender has to my surprise grown up through the neighboring shrub and is doing well, so I wouldn't say a double row was impossible. It could mean however the plants are too compacted and more difficult to manage depending on what varieties you chose. It's good to have shrubs close together to keep weed control less of a problem but what shrubs will compete well with each other is something I'm still learning about. Here's a clip of one area of shrubs and flowers in the garden in the summer to give an idea of the size of some plants after a couple of years growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

If you were inclined to give lavender another go, you could try it in a raised bed (doesn't need timber sides, just needs to be elevated a bit). It is a plant that prefers not to have its feet wet and will thrive in drier conditions.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I've seen that. So basically a raised mount of earth running along the driveway into which we plant the lavender?

Yes it worked for me. I had it at normal ground level in my garden which has a heavy clay soil and it was fine fine for a while but died off after a couple of very wet winters. It did better with a bit of elevation and a free draining soil mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lavender also doesn't like very cold weather: and this last winter has been a corker.
    It's basically a plant from the Mediterranean... loves sunshine and heat, limy soil and good drainage.
    So they might recover somewhat where they are, given a good hot summer. Crosses fingers, Ha ha.

I'm not that optimistic. I saw moorhens in my garden this morning:)

Paddy's Day has different connotations around these parts now. Should I start a new thread to find out how to stop the moorhens eating my crop of rice?:)

• Advertisement

Some good tips here, thanks. Will rip it all up this weekend, don't think a raised bed is a go. Am debating between something that sticks all year 'round or something that'll thrive in the summer (catmint, carpet rose etc). Either way it needs to suppress weeds and require little maintenance . Any other tips?

I wonder would a low copper beech hedge be nice?

I wonder would a low copper beech hedge be nice?

I would reckon the brown colour of the retained leaves in winter would be a bit dull for planting right next to the driveway but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Personally I would say the area lends itself to something more informal..a flower carpet rose would be my choice. Others to consider would be;

Stipa 'pony tails' which is a lovely soft grass.
    Berberis 'rose glow'
    Viburnum davidii
    Potentilla, any type
    Spiraea 'goldflame'.

Thanks for those options. Now that I've cleared back the flower bed I quite like the openness, I wonder would a hedge be too imposing. My lover would prefer something that sticks all year 'round. Another fellow suggested Agupanthus and cat mint, which sounds lovely. What y'all think?

Thanks for those options. Now that I've cleared back the flower bed I quite like the openness, I wonder would a hedge be too imposing. My lover would prefer something that sticks all year 'round. Another fellow suggested Agupanthus and cat mint, which sounds lovely. What y'all think?

I like agapanthus but lost the one I had in the garden overwinter and they may need some protection overwinter according to the RHS website. Cat mint is growing well in my garden here and is just coming into flower now. It's great for attracting pollinators to its flowers in summer but does seem to disappear in the winter. There is another member of the mint family called ajuga which provides ground cover foliage through the winter and flowers more in spring that might be worth considering. It does not grow very tall so might allow you to plant it with the catmint or something else.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mint will take over the place!What about a few heathers?

Heh, I remember a few years I thought that was great. I had *loads* of space that needed covering but good God does it spread! And it's hardy, keeps coming back. I'm thinking, after all, that Berberis 'rose glow' might be the route to go now. A winter like last year and that's the rather expensive Agupanthus gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Rosemary is a good substitute for lavender. Much hardier and doesn't mind being pruned. It was used extensively in Chelsea a few years ago and looked very nice in the show gardens. Ajuga will spread everywhere. Variegated thyme makes a nice mound and is fragrant also.

Standard garden mint (Mentha) and catmint (nepeta) are different plants. I have both growing in my garden and you are correct that normally mint does spread and is difficult to control, due to the way the stems grow horizontally before sprouting up again all around the original plant. Catmint (nepeta) which is in the same family from my experience does not grow in the same pattern of horizontal stems so while it is vigorous and strong growing it does not spread in the same way. I was not suggesting planting the flower border with standard mint which would be difficult to control and does not flower for the same length of time as the catmint (nepeta) varieties. Ajuga while it does grow horizontally seems to do so over ground and I'm finding it a good ground cover plant rather than something that is just taking over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Lavender also doesn't like very cold weather: and this last winter has been a corker.
    It's basically a plant from the Mediterranean... loves sunshine and heat, limy soil and good drainage.
    So they might recover somewhat where they are, given a good hot summer. Crosses fingers, Ha ha.

Yes,it loves the heat of a Provencal Summer. However, winters in the Provence, where Lavender flourishes, have much colder nights than here, although it doesn't seem to get the kind of white frosts we get here.

As said earlier, put a mound of well-draining soil along the driveway and plant into that. Perhaps use an English variety rather than a Mediterranean one.

Advertisement