Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Credit Card Debt Wiped From Account

Options
  • 28-03-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was wondering is it Possible to have any trace of a credit card debt wiped from my account. It's just i was denied a loan because of a old credit card I still owed money on( even though I thought it was cleared years ago).

The story goes- I took out a student credit card while in college with a 400€ limit about 10/11 years ago. Once I reached the limit I agreed to pay it off over a certain length which I think would be complete around 2009/10.

What I found after I rang yesterday about my loan rejection was that I had missed two payments on it which I didnt realise so it stopped coming out of my account, so that's why my loan application was rejected.The remaining balance stands at €170. Since it was a small amount coming out of my account it didnt really register when looking at my account statements before I had online banking.

Now nearly eight years+  I am only finding out about this. I never had any correspondence via email/letters or the dozens of times I have rang about different queries on my account to say that the credit card was still outstanding. Like, If that was anybody else they wouldn't  leave it this long about getting money back. If they had let me know about it years ago I would have cleared it no problem.

Now I know there was fault on my part but christ that was nearly 8/9 years ago when I was in college. Now I am an engineer making a decent living and was flabbergasted when I was rejected. Surely the Bank Of Ireland has to accept the blame here aswell and let me clear it and wipe it from the history because that surely has damaged my credit rating now at this stage.

I could do with that happening as I am buying a car and it's on hold for me and I need this sorted asap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

donmurph18 wrote: »
    I was wondering is it Possible to have any trace of a credit card debt wiped from my account. It's just i was denied a loan because of a old credit card I still owed money on( even though I thought it was cleared years ago).

The story goes- I took out a student credit card while in college with a 400€ limit about 10/11 years ago. Once I reached the limit I agreed to pay it off over a certain length which I think would be complete around 2009/10.

What I found after I rang yesterday about my loan rejection was that I had missed two payments on it which I didnt realise so it stopped coming out of my account, so that's why my loan application was rejected.The remaining balance stands at €170. Since it was a small amount coming out of my account it didnt really register when looking at my account statements before I had online banking.

Now nearly eight years+  I am only finding out about this. I never had any correspondence via email/letters or the dozens of times I have rang about different queries on my account to say that the credit card was still outstanding. Like, If that was anybody else they wouldn't  leave it this long about getting money back. If they had let me know about it years ago I would have cleared it no problem.

Now I know there was fault on my part but christ that was nearly 8/9 years ago when I was in college. Now I am an engineer making a decent living and was flabbergasted when I was rejected. Surely the Bank Of Ireland has to accept the blame here aswell and let me clear it and wipe it from the history because that surely has damaged my credit rating now at this stage.

I could do with that happening as I am buying a car and it's on hold for me and I need this sorted asap.

Hi donmurph18,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I'd ask you to contact our credit card section directly on 0818 251 251 and they'll be able to have a further look into this for you as letters should be sent out directly to you in relation to this, so the advisers there will should be able to check the old account details and why you haven't received a letter in relation to this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donmurph18

donmurph18 wrote: »

Hi donmurph18,

I'd ask you to contact our credit card section directly on 0818 251 251 and they'll be able to have a further look into this for you as letters should be sent out directly to you in relation to this, so the advisers there will should be able to check the old account details and why you haven't received a letter in relation to this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Thanks Darren,

Yeah I rang them and they sent a letter out years ago about it but it was returned to them for some reason and he said when that happens they dont send out letters again about it (a bit daft to be honest). He said it was past onto legal but no answer when I rang. Could you do me a favour and see if they are working today. It will save me ringing the credit card team again and waiting to see if they are open.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

With the Bank Holiday they would be back available on Tuesday and happy to have a look into this for you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement