Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newborn Lamb With Congestion / Fluid On The Lungs

• 29-03-2018 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi . What do you find best antibiotic for congestion in lambs just after birth?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

What I do with all lambs after birth is get their hind legs and swing it upside down for bout 20 seconds. After of course clearing the mouth of fluids. You will see them cough when u place them on the ground.
    Never had an issue with fluid on lungs since an old shepard showed me years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

kk.man wrote: »
    What I do with all lambs after birth is get their hind legs and swing it upside down for bout 20 seconds. After of course clearing the mouth of fluids. You will see them cough when u place them on the ground.
    Never had an issue with fluid on lungs since an old shepard showed me years back.

Used to do that years ago but now I just leave them in their natural position. I find if lambs are strong they’re well able to cough up any flem by themselves

Is the OP asking what to do if the lamb still has fluid on lungs after a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

razor8 wrote: »
    Used to do that years ago but now I just leave them in their natural position. I find if lambs are strong they’re well able to cough up any flem by themselves

Is the OP asking what to do if the lamb still has fluid on lungs after a few hours?

Yes that's what I am asking. I always do the basics but sometimes have lambs that are still congested and a bit weaker than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

brownswiss wrote: »
    Yes that's what I am asking. I always do the basics but sometimes have lambs that are still congested and a bit weaker than normal.

I give any 3 quarter ml alamycin for 3 or 4 days and usually come clear

Advertisement