Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got screwed - What now?

Options
  • 29-03-2018 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey all. So we purchased a 94 Hymer for probably more than it was worth as I really like the old Hymers.
    We have since found out that the skylight is leaking and the roof and walls are affected by damp which was very well covered up by the seller, despite our best efforts to avoid getting ripped off.
    We had it assessed and were told to put it up for sale immediately. We were heartbroken about this because we purchased the camper through a lot of scrimping and saving and taking a loan after a difficult couple of years. My partner had cancer and we decided to buy a camper to make some good childhood memories for our kids and not have their childhood dominated by illness.
    In hindsight we should have realised we were getting ripped off, as he only showed us the camper in the dark and deleted his number the day after we bought it. I'm just so disheartened and upset that someone would do that.
    The problem is, we put the ad up online, and not wanting to rip anyone off, admitted that we had been duped and the camper needed work and took a hit on the price. The former owner then had the ad taken down because he claimed he was being defamed! Despite the fact we have proof that he scammed us. Does anyone have any advice on what we should do. The repair will cost thousands and we just don't have it. We're trying to fix what needs attention straight away, and I think replacing the skylight is the main priority but how much will that be?
    I know I probably sound naive but we did take great care when we were looking, knew what to look out for and had more experienced camper friends look with us. It's heartbreaking that our first experience has been a negative one. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I feel your pain..

Maybe as you say you can repair bit by bit yourself, and at least
    have some use from your camper.You say the repairs will cost thousands,
    is this in parts or labour.

With the right guidance here, you might be able to offset some of the
    labour costs, and still have a working camper.
    Did it have a DOE cert??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Yeah we got the DOE cert which is some consolation. In hindsight we should have insisted on a habitational cert which probably would have shown up the problem.

If its got the DOE thats some consolation really.
    As structural repairs here could run into loads of money.

So where is the 1000,s needed to repair??

We're being told that both side walls, roof and sky light need to be replaced. And possibly the bathroom skylight and the drivers side door. I was a bit shocked about that assessment because I would have presumed that with damage that extensive, I would have been able to smell it. There is no smell of damp at all! Awaiting a second opinion. But the first guy said we shouldn't bother, just get rid.

What assessment method of testing did they use???

• Advertisement

Visual inspection and a bit of hand pressure on what looked to be the affected areas. There was no inspection with any device as far as I am aware, which made me even more crestfallen that he was able to make that assessment without a thorough examination. I don't think he did this looking for a job given he advised us to get rid of it. He said the leaking alone was reason to get rid. When it was there it leaked badly, but our house it didn't leak at all, but then it was more sheltered. But we did a tooth and nail inspection of it yesterday and found a small hole in the sky light which seems to be letting in water down through the window handle. In our innocent hopes we think that maybe replacing the skylight and maybe a small area around it may suffice. We just need to try to seal it as best we can until we can get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Why oh why did you buy it in the dark? You should never ever buy anything in the dark!!!!
    A lesson hard learned here I'm afraid.

Now onto this assessment. Who did the assessment and what is their interest? As in, does this "assessor" also deal in campers? I ask this as I'm thinking could there be a chance that this bucko has given a damning assessment of the camper in the knowledge that you are a bit green but really the damage might not be all that serious or expensive? He could be planning to get back in touch when you offer it for sale advertised as needing serious work saying "oooh, sure lookit I'll make you an offer of €XXX to take it off your hands, best you'll get really, yaknow".

Next thing after a few weeks you'll see it advertised up on Donedeal or whatever asking an awful lot more than he gave you for it, with probably only minor repairs being done.

At the end of the day an awful lot of these wheeler dealers are only chancers out to pull a few quick strokes for themselves.

Be careful. Don't get screwed over twice on the same camper.

A small pinhole can let in loads of water metres away from where the hole is.

hand pressure here and there is not enough. testing with a moisture metre
    on the walls and roof is a better option. Thermal imaging camera on the walls and roof
    is better again, if you know how to use it in this instance.

Unless water is pissing in from all corners, then its not a case of all is lost. Do you have any family
    members that can offer good diy skills to help??

As a quick fix, you might not need to replace the skylight immediately,
    just repair the hole/leak with a strip of flashbanding, to keep the water out.

Hymers are a popular camper. Dont be eager to get rid until you have done a top down
    assessment your selves, or an honest chap has.

Really really appreciate the advice, thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I run a 1989 Hobby camper since 2007. There is a bit of damp in a couple of places up high in the corner and every couple of years I get on the roof and reseal with high quality silicone the joint between "house" and cab, and along a back joint. So it's not perfect but when it is aired out it is fine and usable.

As above your camper maybe usable for a season or two, ask a competent handyman to try and seal up the leaks and see how you go. Couple of tubes of silicone and a couple of hours shouldn't run to more than €60-70. And the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Price for a skylight varys vastly according to the size, if its a standard 400x400 then I could recommend the mini hekei, its a decent price from
    donagheys.

http://www.partsformotorhomes.com/dometic-mini-heki-style.html

Fit it with wurth bond and seal
    http://www.partsformotorhomes.com/wurth-bond-seal-300-ml.html

Regarding bathroom rooflight regular size opaque rooflights can be had very cheaply such as the MPK ones.

As to a repair costing thousands, its a 94 van, theres no point in returning it to factory condition, the walls and ceiling are made out of junk, repairing it is more tedious than complicated.

If you are sealing using either Tiger seal, or Tek seal.

These are high quality adhesive/sealers used for camper trims and

joints and the like. Life long job, better than any silicone.

Available in either motor factors, woodies ect, and run

to about 12-15 euro a tube. But well worth it. And for sealing a tube will go along way.

You can use this wherever you have any joints around windows and doors.

If you remove the trim, clean off the old stuff, clean the sides to be joined,

and apply the sealer, fix back the trim.

Any damaged plastic or metal joints can even be built up with the sealer

let cure, and sand to shape if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/564014117095474/

Irish Hymer Owners on Facebook - may be some help there

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

Sorry to hear this story. I'd get a second opinion on the damp situation from someone who does habitation checks and uses a damp meter. In the meantime plug that leak and run a dehumidifier inside around the clock. It might not be as bad as you think. Keep the dream alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

To the OP, just to give you a bit of hope, i bought a lemon on an impulse purchase in August last year.. It is also an old van, a '96 citroen, but it has a great layout and seats & sleeps 5 comfortably, which is exactly the size i need. The rust underneath was the greatest issue, which has all been repaired now. there were times i nearly gave up, but she's going for CVRT on Friday for her retest (fingers crossed)..

With regards leaks and things, there are a few, but once it's up and running, i'll deal with these one at a time, using whatever sealants and rust converters are necessary.. dont give up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

You won't be the the first to buy a lemon, nor the last unfortunately. I was in the same situation when I bought my first camper, I focused on the mechanical side of things rather than the habitation area when checking before buying, it was only when I got it home and bought it to a local guy to fix something unrelated, that I was informed that there were leaks everywhere and that over 50% of the walls were rotted out.

I was devastated, as like you, I had stretched myself financially to buy it. In the end I stripped out all the rot myself, fitted new structural timber and wallboard, and it was a satisfying experience, there wasn't any major cost involved, but a lot of labour. Can be done if you are anyway DIY inclined.

I also gained a lot of knowledge on what to look for when buying my second camper.

If you do decide to tackle it yourselves and need any tips or advice give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Get a few different assessments, don't go with the first.

There are a few outfits out there who really do know how to maximise your problem and their profit, and you might have picked one of that type.

Best of luck getting sorted at the 'right' price and enjoy your motorhome, don't be put off, it's a great lifestyle.

Advertisement