Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room

Options
  • 29-03-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of rooms that I would like to rent out in Kilkenny city. I live on my own so need to be careful etc, I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Have someone with you (a trusted friend) when you meet prospective tenants for their perspective. Use email to sift through applicants, talk to them on the phone first to get an idea of their lifestyle compatibility. Be clear about rules of house so these are posted in a common area, explained and when rent is due, how bills are handled. Clear communication about responsibilities towards cleaning, cleanliness, noise, anybody staying over etc. Talk to friends who have done same for advice. Ensure you have deposit and first month's rent in hand before they are allowed move in....
    Remember they'll each need space in the kitchen / fridge. A friend recommended to me that I shouldn't supply bedding etc (towels, sheets, duvet, pillowcases) as it becomes your responsibility to wash them then?
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement