Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Guardian PL team of the season (so far)

• 29-03-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭

The Guardian has posted their team of the season (so far)

Biggest surprise is they went for Firmino over Kane. Fairly ballsy for a British paper

For those not clicking the link, here's the team:

Ederson

Walker - Tarkowski - Mee - Robertson

Doucoure

D.Silva - De Bruyne

Salah - Firmino - Son

I'd have Kane in for Son and move Firmino into that left side slot. Can't decide who should go in but I'm not sure Mee is the best option for that 2nd CB slot. Would probably have De Gea in for Ederson but wouldn't argue with the other 9 positions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

x43r0 wrote: »

Biggest surprise is they went for Firmino over Kane. Fairly ballsy for a British paper

Ederson

Doucoure

D.Silva - De Bruyne

Salah - Firmino - Son

I'd have Kane in for Son and move Firmino into that left side slot. Can't decide who should go in but I'm not sure Mee is the best option for that 2nd CB slot. Would probably have De Gea in for Ederson but wouldn't argue with the other 9 positions

Robertson has barely played half the games. No way should he be there and kane has to be in there for Son. Two Burnley centre halves is wrong too. Otamendi should be there for one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The writer is a Liverpool fan, hardly ballsy :pac:

Firmino's been great but Kane's just a better striker. Can't put him in for Son, because neither are wide players. Although I'd have Aguero, best goal rate of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Robertson hasn't played enough games to be in although I'm struggling to think of any lbs that have been decent probably Ben Davies . Both Burnley CBS have been very good but I'd have otamendi ahead of one of them. Ddg ahead of ederson. Fernandinho ahead of doucoure. Firmino and son have had great seasons but arguments could be made for at least half a dozen players to take their positions. Sane, Kane, sterling, aguero etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Typical clickbait ****e, few "controversial" selections to get the chatter going.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Otamendi should be in at CB with Vertonghen. Fernandinho at CM. Other than that team looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Typical clickbait ****e, few "controversial" selections to get the chatter going.

I dunno, anybody's first xi is always going to have disagreements. We all preference different players, watch different games, see different things. There is no absolute right or wrong here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In fairness the author made clear it wasn't about the best XI:
    My choices are sure to cause shock, horror and outrage but before the frothing commences let me make something clear: the team below are not made up of the 11 best players in their respective positions. Some are but others are players who have performed notably above expectation – individually or within a partnership/unit – and therefore are worthy of recognition. This also means there is a whacking great omission, one bordering on a national scandal, but I don’t care – I stand by my choices.

He thinks his decision to omit someone borders on a national scandal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm happy enough with that team but I'd have Kane in for Firmino, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would still have De Gea as keeper even though he's actually made a few bad errors this year. Can half see the logic in Ederson though as he has brought something new to City this season.

Robertson only broke into the Liverpool at the end of November I think but he's been great ever since. Wouldn't begrudge him a spot on amount of games played although I'm struggling for good left-backs to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's no standout left back so no problem at all with Robertson getting it. He's probably been one of the best value for money signings this season along side the obvious Salah.

If you can't fit Kane into your team though you are doing it wrong. Switch Formation or something but Kane has to make it.

Also De Gea for sure. Not even sure how you could argue otherwise.

I'd have to think about the center backs but they don't seem right either and I'd go Fernandinho as the holding midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Ddg

Walker otamendi Tarkowski Davies

Fernandinho
    Kdb d. Silva

Salah kane Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ederson

Doucoure

D.Silva - De Bruyne

Salah - Firmino - Son

It really screams out as a 'go really controversial so that people interact with us on social media' team. Son ahead of either of the Man City wide players? Doucoure? Really?

Advertisement