Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2500k successor?

Options
  • 29-03-2018 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was gonna piggyback on another thread as I feel it's a common enough question - but hey. Lets see what happens.

I've the itch to upgrade my i5 2500k for the sole reason of it being the oldest part of my PC right now, alongside the motherboard and some not-great DDR3 ram.

It's still performing fine with an RX480 inside that I could probably sell at a profit, but I'd like to spruce it up a little as I'm hoping to treat myself to a Vive/Oculus sometime this year.

~Would ye recommend I try a Ryzen setup? Or something like the 8600k?~

I'd be reusing as much of my existing components as possible at the moment...so mainly a CPU/Motherboard/Ram recommendation that'll give me another few years good use!

I could fill out the form....but here's what I have.

i5 2500k
    p67 pro3 mobo
    12gb DDR3 (1x4and 2x4 I think)
    hyper 212 evo+
    500gb samsung 850 evo
    rx 480 4gb sapphire
    nxzt s340 case
    and some half decent psu.

Any feedback appreciated..budget doesn't matter too much, but not looking for the most high-end best of the best if it's not necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Cheap option is just to upgrade to a 2700K (or is it 2600K that is more common?) and be done with it.

Expensive option
    Intel i5 8600K
    Z370 motherboard
    16gb ddr4 ram (2400 or 2666Mhz)

Alternatively (depending on how much multi-threaded workloads you are running or want to just support AMD and don't mind a slight gaming performance drop vs intel)
    Ryzen R5 1600/2600 (X version optional) (updated Ryzen expected late April/May)
    B350/450 motherboard
    16gb ddr4 ram (3000 or 3200MHz)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Cheap option is just to upgrade to a 2700K (or is it 2600K that is more common?) and be done with it.

Expensive option
    Intel i5 8600K
    Z370 motherboard
    16gb ddr4 ram (2400 or 2666Mhz)

Alternatively (depending on how much multi-threaded workloads you are running or want to just support AMD and don't mind a slight gaming performance drop vs intel)
    Ryzen R5 1600/2600 (X version optional) (updated Ryzen expected late April/May)
    B350/450 motherboard
    16gb ddr4 ram (3000 or 3200MHz)

Yea, I want to move on from 2xxxK series to the newer stuff!

Leaning towards the 8600k, if there was a motherboard to pair with it, but could also hang tight for the next gen AMD - is this a successor beyond the APU's they just announced/released?

Again, it'll break my heart leaving the 2500k - I just feel like being a filthy consumer and treating myself..feel like it's served me well since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 5-2600 / 2600X are out very soon (April AFAIK); performance charts (without overclock) got leaked 2 days ago.

Around 10% behind i5-8600K at 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You also mentioned VR for which the 8600K I would imagine would be vastly superior where very high average and minimum frames are vital. Also the 8600K overclocks way better than Ryzen does.

VR is pretty demanding. I'd say an 8600K and GTX1070+ would be ideal.

You also mentioned VR for which the 8600K I would imagine would be vastly superior where very high average and minimum frames are vital. Also the 8600K overclocks way better than Ryzen does.

VR is pretty demanding. I'd say an 8600K and GTX1070+ would be ideal.

Yea, VR would be more for the end of the year, I'd rather get the foundations in place with a solid processor that won't struggle first and then deal with a newer GPU (likely 1070ti or whatever's on the market at the end of 2018)

I know the 2500k is still all fine...it's served me very well since the day it was recommended to me here!

I just have that itch when I look at the PC and have the urge to spruce things up a bit.

Is there any preference amongst yourselves for new motherboards?

edit:
    Could I do better than this for example? & Is my hyper 212 still compatible or should I add in a new one? Case is NZXT S340, so space should be ok.

mIVk8br.png

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    Yea, VR would be more for the end of the year, I'd rather get the foundations in place with a solid processor that won't struggle first and then deal with a newer GPU (likely 1070ti or whatever's on the market at the end of 2018)

I know the 2500k is still all fine...it's served me very well since the day it was recommended to me here!

I just have that itch when I look at the PC and have the urge to spruce things up a bit.

Is there any preference amongst yourselves for new motherboards?

edit:
    Could I do better than this for example? & Is my hyper 212 still compatible or should I add in a new one? Case is NZXT S340, so space should be ok.

mIVk8br.png
    Hyper 212 is compatible but I'd upgrade to something better, like a Scythe Mugen or Cryorig H5/H7 series.

Me again -
    So - I went a bit daft and bought an 8600k and Asus Prime A z370 as I'd come into ownership of a nice Amazon voucher and decided I may as well make a nice pile in the corner/

Will get RAM next week and perhaps a Cryorig cooler - any suggestions as for a new PSU? Looking for a modular one. 550w would be sufficient for most cases right?

And - i'm just thinking - what would you expect to get (ballpark) if I were to sell my i5 2500k, Asrock p67 pro3 and 12gb ram, 2x4,2x2 DDR3?

Make sure to get a good cooler if you're gonna OC that mofo. I too have an 8600K and a H100i V2 keeps her nice and cool running.

Will get RAM next week and perhaps a Cryorig cooler - any suggestions as for a new PSU? Looking for a modular one. 550w would be sufficient for most cases right?
    EVGA Supernova G2, Corsair RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold

3 top-rated PSUs that are constantly hovering ~£85-90 for 650/750W models.

pvZCung.jpg?2
    I've a busy night ahead tonight...and yes they are two separate 8gb sticks because I was weak and bought a second one before the rest of the parts arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I've a busy night ahead tonight...and yes they are two separate 8gb sticks because I was weak and bought a second one before the rest of the parts arrived.

How much did that ram end up costing you?

Venom wrote: »
    How much did that ram end up costing you?

More than I would have liked!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-BLS8G4D26BFSC-PC4-21300-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B01MS79QSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1525108412&sr=8-5&keywords=ballistix+sport+8gb+ddr4&dpID=41VAOE1mJoL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

£78 a stick...(but looking at the page it looks like it was actually cheaper to buy them individually!? )

(Also that Dark rock 3 cooler was a pain in the ass to mount)

It's not as much fun putting a motherboard into a case as i'd remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Good luck to anyone building a new PC at the minute. I'm also in the 2500k boat and am feeling the itch. The main thing stopping me doing a new build at this point is those crazy, crazy RAM prices. Absolutely nuts when I think how the 8GB of RAM for my last build didn't even set me back 50 Euro. I always thought that I could re-purpose a few elements of the old build I have and thus save some money on the new one, but with those RAM prices, that would not be the case!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im also in the 2500k boat, tempted to upgrade many times until i sat back and took stock of the games i play and theres only one i cannot play maxed out at 1440 and achieve 100-144 fps and high or max settings and that being Bf1, considering i rarely play that at all its a non issue, PUBG was an issue but i can now play it at 1440 low settings with max aa [as suggested to see players easier] at a solid 144fps.
    Even cpu demanding stuff like assetto corsa im running 144fps at max settings.

Yea, it's still expensive, but feck it! - I felt it was long enough that I could justify the treat for myself!

Operating nice and smoothly now,much quieter than before, but I'd say thats down to the new cooler and gold psu! Haven't pushed it with BF1/PUBG properly to see if any improvement.

New bottleneck is probably my Sapphire RX480 (4gb)...but will kick the can down the road a bit longer before changing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You probably won't see any improvement in PUBG as it's not CPU heavy....but boot up a 64p BF1 map and it should become pretty apparent!

RAM is starting to come down to somewhat better levels....I see 8GB sets now going for about €80. Not great still but wouldn't put me off actually assembling a new rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Isnt Ram one of the cheaper items in an overall build?
    Your going to shell out a few hundred for a new cpu and board, does an extra 20 for over inflated RAM really mean that much in the bigger picture of getting a new system and smashing some games?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Your going to shell out a few hundred for a new cpu and board, does an extra 20 for over inflated RAM really mean that much in the bigger picture of getting a new system and smashing some games?

It's a lot more than 20 quid or so. I'm thinking the prices have ballpark double or tripled since 2016. Enough to make a difference in having to budget for it properly instead of just grabbing it.

Redfox25 wrote: »

Yea, I got 8gb of DDR3 two years ago for £40, that EXACT same stick is £80, fairly substantial change for the exact same item.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L wrote: »
    It's a lot more than 20 quid or so. I'm thinking the prices have ballpark double or tripled since 2016. Enough to make a difference in having to budget for it properly instead of just grabbing it.

Right now doubled, at some points it was near triple the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Well, at least they're coming down a little so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

More than I would have liked!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-BLS8G4D26BFSC-PC4-21300-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B01MS79QSP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1525108412&sr=8-5&keywords=ballistix+sport+8gb+ddr4&dpID=41VAOE1mJoL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

£78 a stick...(but looking at the page it looks like it was actually cheaper to buy them individually!? )

(Also that Dark rock 3 cooler was a pain in the ass to mount)

It's not as much fun putting a motherboard into a case as i'd remembered.

I was looking at the Dark Rock 3 for my next build as getting mounting brackets for my current Megahelms is not an option but the mounting bracket for both the 3 and 4 totally put me off. A Noctua D15s with the new cover plates looks like its the one for me.

Advertisement