Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassle with flat mate.

Options
  • 29-03-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I moved into a two person flat I found on daft.ie back in January. The previous tenant had left and this meant that the existing tenant would have to pay the full rent so she put the ad on daft to find a second flatmate. I took this room, and didn't have to sign any lease or contract. I've been paying my rent on time, not causing any trouble in the place yet this flatmate has turned nasty against me constantly hassling me for small things as she seems to think that because she was previously there she has more control over the flat.

Even today she said she wants me to move out this month so her friend can move in. And straight up told me to **** off before storming out after I explained that I won't be moving until September when I finish my courses. She also threatened that she spoke to the landlord, and that she is the tenant not me because I didn't sign a lease.

So, have I any rights in this case? Can I be suddenly told to just up and go on another tenants whim? What if the landlord says I am too leave as well? I have always paid rent on time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sounds like you're a licensee of the tenant. That means you don't have tenancy rights and are effectively a paying guest.

Did you pay a deposit?

By this month, do you mean March and you have to leave this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

To whom do you pay the rent? The LL or the tenant?

And I take it you're not in the NL now, the ad being on daft.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

To whom do you pay the rent? The LL or the tenant?

And I take it you're not in the NL now, the ad being on daft.ie.

The rent goes to the other tenant who then send to land lady. The land lady told me she wants it coming from one source when I messaged her saying is it better to just pay my rent into her bank account.

I'm actually in Dublin.

Sounds like you're a licensee of the tenant. That means you don't have tenancy rights and are effectively a paying guest.

Did you pay a deposit?

By this month, do you mean March and you have to leave this weekend?

Yes I paid a deposit when I first moved in which would of went to the land lady. I don't see why I'd have less rights than her.

The other flat mate said she wants me to leave end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The rent goes to the other tenant who then send to land lady. The land lady told me she wants it coming from one source when I messaged her saying is it better to just pay my rent into her bank account.

I'm actually in Dublin.
    Landlady doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with you separately. You’re not her problem. Your flatmate is the tenant. She’s the only one who ‘lives’ there. You just ‘stay’ there. Officially.

Sounds like you’re stuck. Doesn’t matter if she’s being unreasonable. If she’s the tenant, she holds all the cards.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Landlady doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with you separately. You’re not her problem. Your flatmate is the tenant. She’s the only one who ‘lives’ there. You just ‘stay’ there. Officially.

Sounds like you’re stuck. Doesn’t matter if she’s being unreasonable. If she’s the tenant, she holds all the cards.

That's a shame. Looks like I'll have to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes I paid a deposit when I first moved in which would of went to the land lady.
    Who did you hand the deposit to? Demand that you get the deposit back. I'd wonder does your one realize that she'll have to return it?

Advertisement