Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip for takeaway deliveries?

Options
  • 29-03-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Wondering what's the done thing? Do you tip? If so, how much?
    Say for domino's or just eat? In or around the 20Euro value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Was stuck for a category too! Thought consumer issues??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Usually. Most of the time I'll order and pay online and then usually give the driver a couple of euro when they get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sometimes. Never more than 2 quid, the job doesn't get proportionally harder the bigger the order like a waiter.

Hard to be certain that the places with higher delivery fees actually pay the drivers more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

No i dont tip takeaway.

Ill only tip in fine dining restaurants, or in a pub or casual eatery if i think the waiter has had a tough job like having to deal with a big group of us and split the bill etc.

We are not in america. Staff are on a reasonable legal wage and a TIP should be a tip for exceptional service, not just by default.

The tipping culture coming from america is where waiters are getting $2 an hour or some other bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

If I pay online no. If I pay in cash at the door yes. However, they do get to keep the delivery charge as a payment for job. A friend of mine does it and he cleans up. You could make €100+ per night and a free curry at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If I pay online no. If I pay in cash at the door yes.

Generally this but I'll pay online 95% of the time.

Also if the weather is sh!te I'll throw a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

If I am ordering a takeaway it's usually late at night so I always give a tip. Minimum €2 but if paying cash don't mind making it €3 or so rather than look for small change from them.

Find the regular drivers very accommodating that way.

I doubt many would do the job if it wasn't for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Almost always. I used to work in fast food places and know just how little those lads make. A lot of the time they're pretty much relying on tips.

Typically I'll give them €2. If it's only a €10 order however I'll give them €1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No, I’ve already paid for the delivery charge.

I generally don’t tip in restaurants either, not unless it was really good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I tip 50 cent for a Dominos delivery, which is usually a hefty price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Paying cash yes. Paying with Card no.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 59,626 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Yes-typically €2 per delivery.

Most times I pay the main charge by credit card- very occasionally I'd give cash to the delivery driver. Either way, I'd tend to tip (unless the delivery was exceptionally delayed but this hasn't happened to date, thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

If I pay online no. If I pay in cash at the door yes. However, they do get to keep the delivery charge as a payment for job. A friend of mine does it and he cleans up. You could make €100+ per night and a free curry at the end of it.

€100 per night is hardly cleaning up when you factor in diesel.

I'd always tip at least €2 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

At least €2, did it for a couple of years while in college. Never really expected tips but you'd always do the ones who did tip first. It's a pain in the arse in winter especially in the rain. The amount of ****ers who'd leave you standing in the rain for a couple of mins while searching for a wallet.

It paid well enough when you got decent tips. I'd say I average around 1.50 per person with about roughly 30% not tipping. This was 8 or 10 years ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Depends on how hot the food is. If its feels warm they get nothing. If its hot, and the drinks are cold in a separate bag, I make it rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

At least 2 euro, because we are not so close to where we order from.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I tip 50 cent for a Dominos delivery, which is usually a hefty price

I would be checking there is nothing bogey on your next order if i were you . I’d be mortified paying 20 or 30 quid for that muck then tipping the driver 50 cents .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Gonad wrote: »
    I would be checking there is nothing bogey on your next order if i were you . I’d be mortified paying 20 or 30 quid for that muck then tipping the driver 50 cents .

How do you mean? Ashamed to tip for that muck or not tipping enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't wait around for a €1 change but I don't go out of my way to tip on principle.

It's done in the US because it actually constitutes their wage in many states. Here, it does not (or should not, legally) yet it's a strange culture that's creeping in.

It's a bit ludicrious that you'd be expected to tip someone a few euro for making the 5 metre trek from their car for your door. Do you tip the person in McDonalds who serves your food? The one that helps you with your TV in PC World? The person in Woodies who helps you pick paint? I find it amazing that it'd be seen as normal to not tip these people (not saying it never happens), but stingy by many to not tip delivery drivers (and talk of having your food spit on).
    €100 per night is hardly cleaning up when you factor in diesel.

I'd always tip at least €2 at least.

€100 sounds decent to me when you consider that someone on minimum wage would take home about €75 gross for a full days work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yes, 20% of cost in Restaurants and deliveries. The people serving are usually on minimum wage so I like to give them a tip. I was in US for a while so I got used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

duffman13 wrote: »
    At least €2, did it for a couple of years while in college. Never really expected tips but you'd always do the ones who did tip first.

I thought about that (delivery priority based on household tipping history) when I saw the thread title but it occurred to me that, as the drivers are paying for their own fuel, wouldn't they just do the most economical trip with each batch of deliveries to minimize their fuel costs?

You're delivering to a guy, he doesn't know if he is the first, second or third drop on this loop so why would you bother delivering to the best tippers first?

coylemj wrote: »
    I thought about that (delivery priority based on household tipping history) when I saw the thread title but it occurred to me that, as the drivers are paying for their own fuel, wouldn't they just do the most economical trip with each batch of deliveries to minimize their fuel costs?

You're delivering to a guy, he doesn't know if he is the first, second or third drop on this loop so why would you bother delivering to the best tippers first?

100% you'd try be economical but I've often started at the furthest away and worked my way back. Usually and this depends on the volume of the business, I'd get 3-5 deliveries within maybe 500m of each other. Not to put to fine a point on it but you remember the arsehole first and the tippers second. Basically if someone's a cock or leaves me waiting I'll leave them last. Look after tippers where possible.

Also people know they are first or not by the heat of the bag tbh so I'd always go to the them first if I could. This is was just my way, we'd not exactly stand around talking tactics but we'd all know the good tippers and the ****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No i dont tip takeaway.

Ill only tip in fine dining restaurants, or in a pub or casual eatery if i think the waiter has had a tough job like having to deal with a big group of us and split the bill etc.

We are not in america. Staff are on a reasonable legal wage and a TIP should be a tip for exceptional service, not just by default.

The tipping culture coming from america is where waiters are getting $2 an hour or some other bull****.

Afaik delivery drivers don't make minimum wage, I worked in a takeaway in 2016/17, the drivers made €4.50ph and €1.5 per delivery. This was a fairly large chain so all was above board I believe

Totalled up their daily take-home many a time and it wasn't above minimum wage too often, coupled with fuel and looking after their wagon I think a lot of the lads did depend quite a lot on tips.

Not trying to tell you your business but staff being on a reasonable wage is heavily dependent on how busy it is that night.

To answer the OP, I'd normally throw €1 or €2 towards the driver, depending on what the change is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If ordering a pizza I grab the pizza and decide if it sufficiently hot before I decide whether to tip or not. If the pizza is warm and eddible but not actually hot the driver doesn't get a tip.

Afaik delivery drivers don't make minimum wage, I worked in a takeaway in 2016/17, the drivers made €4.50ph and €1.5 per delivery. This was a fairly large chain so all was above board I believe

Totalled up their daily take-home many a time and it wasn't above minimum wage too often, coupled with fuel and looking after their wagon I think a lot of the lads did depend quite a lot on tips.

Not trying to tell you your business but staff being on a reasonable wage is heavily dependent on how busy it is that night.

To answer the OP, I'd normally throw €1 or €2 towards the driver, depending on what the change is

It depends but usually independents are better to work for as they eh.... aren't above board. I'd say after fuel I pulled 100 quid a night and more at the weekends. I wouldn't have got through college without the job so always tip personally but as I said in my first response I'd never expect it.

I'd imagine tips have dropped considerably with the growth of the likes of just eat and more card payments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Jesus I feel mean now, I've NEVER tipped for takeaway delivery food, it never even crossed my mind. I'd probably get between 2-4 different takeaways per month, Just Eat or Domino's. I can never fault the service I get from my local Domino's; delivery is ALWAYS within the aforementioned time, piping hot and now and again they'll call the next day to ask how my experience was. They'll then either apply a credit to my account or give me a freebie (wedges/garlic pizza bread) for my next order. In saying that I do usually spend €25 minimum per order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

So what’s the delivery charge for. Who gets that?

On justeat.ie the restaurant I order from charges 5€. That’s because of the distance but I like it. The takeout costs pre charge is about 20. That’s already 25%.

What about Tesco online where - depending on the time of day - deliveries cost up to 8€. And if I tip them what about the guy with the amazon package?

I don’t mind tipping but would like to know what’s double pay, and what’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

€100 sounds decent to me when you consider that someone on minimum wage would take home about €75 gross for a full days work.

And your dole on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

A local chipper about a mile away charges 2.80 for delivery so wouldn't tip on that.

Advertisement