Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip for takeaway deliveries?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We are not in america. Staff are on a reasonable legal wage and a TIP should be a tip for exceptional service, not just by default.

The tipping culture coming from america is where waiters are getting $2 an hour or some other bull****.
    It's done in the US because it actually constitutes their wage in many states.
    Not sure if it applies to all states, but in most states in the US there it is a fairly new law that if traditionally tipped workers do not make up regular minimum wage in their jobs then the employer must pay the balance. -i.e. the minimum wage in these jobs is lower than the regular min wage, but the employees are guaranteed to get regular minimum wage.

Some restaurants in the US now are "non tipping" and state that they pay their staff a reasonable wage. In some countries it is seen as offensive, I tipped a taxi driver in China and she seemed disgusted, she had turned off the clock yet found I was not at the right place and continued to drive me, so I definitely wanted to pay more. It was not till later I heard it can be seen as offensive.
    . However, they do get to keep the delivery charge as a payment for job. .
    Some might, they are not all the same, and its weird how so many people talk as though they are. Some are off the books, not paying tax etc. I expect the multinationals do pay drivers a proper wage.
    I doubt many would do the job if it wasn't for tips.
    If everybody suddenly stopped tipping, or it if was made illegal, then I think they would do the job. They would simply charge a higher delivery charge to cover the wages required to keep the drivers. Courier companies manage to find people, an post appear to have no trouble finding postmen.

I would like to see it made illegal as it is effectively promoting/encouraging tax evasion. In the US it is illegal to tip some people like some government officials etc.

Many delivery people might prefer to be getting a stable wage and not be relying on handouts.

I do tip around 2euro most times, sometimes the drivers will already add their own tip, in which case they can fcuk off -i.e. they tell you the cost is higher than the real price.

Do you tip the person in McDonalds who serves your food?
    In the US my friend had a good few pints on him and tipped the cashier in white castle, a burger place like McDs, we were calling him an eejit saying you are not meant to tip. Cashier was all confused and then laughing and telling the lads in the back cooking he just got tipped. When we opened the food they had doubled up on all the burgers and I think thrown in other chips & stuff. In bars in the US we got free shots from tipped barmen.
    davo10 wrote: »
    Yes, 20% of cost in Restaurants and deliveries.
    20% could be an awful lot, what it the highest you have tipped a delivery man? An indian for several people would easily be over 50, a tenner is crazy to be paying.

As for restaurants I do not see why a waiter should get 100euro for opening a 500 euro bottle of wine, is it really that much harder than a 20euro bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

However, they do get to keep the delivery charge as a payment for job. A friend of mine does it and he cleans up. You could make €100+ per night and a free curry at the end of it.

Not brilliant, considering what they'd have left after paying tax, and paying for the increased motor insurance costs arising when they tell their insurer that they are doing commercial deliveries.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Why on earth would you willingly pay another 25% -50% on top of a delivery charge.
    It's their paid job ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

To answer a post above which is too big to quote, tipping in the US isn’t a form of tax evasion. They should declare it and if they don’t the IRS will penalise them. The have an idea of how much tips can be earned in a given area at a given time from previous returns.

• Advertisement

To answer a post above which is too big to quote, tipping in the US isn’t a form of tax evasion. They should declare it and if they don’t the IRS will penalise them. The have an idea of how much tips can be earned in a given area at a given time from previous returns.
    I meant I would like to see it made illegal here, takeaways here employ people below minimum wage with no expenses for the car paid safe in the knowledge that they will get people to take up the job who know fine well they will be tipped.

The biggest takeaway tippers I know are those who worked as drivers themselves, or know people who worked as drivers. I think it odd that they presume everybody is paid like they were. They said that it was very worthwhile to do, even factoring in expenses etc.

As you say in the US they "should" declare it, but it is extremely easy to under declare it, far easier than it would be to try and lie about normal wages.

So the tipping culture in the US still most certainly means less tax is paid, it makes tax evasion a doddle. There is no way in hell anybody is over declaring how much they were tipped!! If some flashy git/superstar/celeb tips a grand I doubt they would declare it all.

The illegal tips I mentioned in the US is as it would be seen as bribes. Just making the point making tipping illegal is feasible, as I pre-empted people saying it might not be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity#Taxation
    Research finds that consistent tax evasion by waitstaff due to fraudulent declaration is a concern in the US. According to the IRS, between 40% and 50% of tips to waiters are not reported for taxation.[87] Employers are responsible for Federal Unemployment Insurance premiums on tips paid directly from customers to employees, and this encourages employers to collaborate in underreporting tips.

U.S. federal employees[edit]
    The U.S. Government recognizes tips as allowable expenses for federal employee travel.[88] However, U.S. law prohibits federal employees from receiving tips under Standards of Ethical Conduct. Asking for, accepting or agreeing to take anything of value that influences the performance of an official act is not allowed.

well I’m not too worried about people in $2 an hour maybe not declaring all their tips.

well I’m not too worried about people in $2 an hour maybe not declaring all their tips.
    hahaha, sounds like you are disagreeing with yourself!!
    tipping in the US isn’t a form of tax evasion..

What sort of % so you think in the US or Ireland are actually earning no more than $2 an hour. As I said already it seems most states have a law against it. They DO get minimum wage.

if you know of states which do not have the law I would like to see some evidence that the typical wage in those "tippable jobs" is much under min wage. I very much doubt it happens, if it did they would take up a "non tippable" job at min wage.

Most likely benefit from it. Just as people I know in Ireland did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States
    Federal law
    The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.[5] As of May 2017, the average hourly wage – including tips – for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82.

average is 63% more than min wage, I wonder what it is in Ireland, and that does not even factor in the 40-50% undeclared tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ben36

coylemj wrote: »
    I thought about that (delivery priority based on household tipping history) when I saw the thread title but it occurred to me that, as the drivers are paying for their own fuel, wouldn't they just do the most economical trip with each batch of deliveries to minimize their fuel costs?

You're delivering to a guy, he doesn't know if he is the first, second or third drop on this loop so why would you bother delivering to the best tippers first?

I'm doing deliveries 15 years now.Average night we do 40-50 deliveries a night each going out with 3 to 4 orders each run.Personally i always go to the customers who don't leave you waiting at the door while they go searching for their bag/wallet for a few minutes when you arrive at their home if my route allows it.It's delivering to the same customers every night so you get to know real quick who this is and i always leave these to my last order if possible.

Regarding tippers i'll alway try to get to them first if possible.Most of the time the 4 deliveries i have could be a 2km radius so you obviously have to start and finish somewhere.

Just Eat has really taken over now with 75% of our orders now through this and half of them being paid through a card so the tips with cards isn't the norm but with the extra business is has brought personally i'm making more each night then when it first came to our shop 4 years ago.

i'm paid €35 for 7 hours,€2 average a delivery and then whatever tips on top of that and yes i pay pay tax on my earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ben36 wrote: »
    I'm doing deliveries 15 years now.Average night we do 40-50 deliveries a night each going out with 3 to 4 orders each run.Personally i always go to the customers who don't leave you waiting at the door while they go searching for their bag/wallet for a few minutes when you arrive at their home if my route allows it.It's delivering to the same customers every night so you get to know real quick who this is and i always leave these to my last order if possible.

Regarding tippers i'll alway try to get to them first if possible.Most of the time the 4 deliveries i have could be a 2km radius so you obviously have to start and finish somewhere.

Just Eat has really taken over now with 75% of our orders now through this and half of them being paid through a card so the tips with cards isn't the norm but with the extra business is has brought personally i'm making more each night then when it first came to our shop 4 years ago.

i'm paid €35 for 7 hours,€2 average a delivery and then whatever tips on top of that and yes i pay pay tax on my earnings.

so you get paid at least 100 euro for 7 hours sometimes more then plus tips.

the company then supplies the van , deisil, insurance etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ben36

so you get paid at least 100 euro for 7 hours sometimes more then plus tips.

the company then supplies the van , deisil, insurance etc

I do it in my own car with my own commercial insurance and i pay for my own petrol.I have a yaris for doing the deliveries in.Average fuel costs €10 a night.Yes but €100 would be on the lower end of the scale.Average is €150 with tips a night but i'm working in a working class area where take aways is the norm and not a treat.Flat out most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I do it in my own car with my own commercial insurance
    Any idea how much the additional insurance for doing deliveries costs each year?
    i'm working in a working class area where take aways is the norm and not a treat.Flat out most nights.
    That says a lot.

rubadub wrote: »
    hahaha, sounds like you are disagreeing with yourself!!

What sort of % so you think in the US or Ireland are actually earning no more than $2 an hour. As I said already it seems most states have a law against it. They DO get minimum wage.

if you know of states which do not have the law I would like to see some evidence that the typical wage in those "tippable jobs" is much under min wage. I very much doubt it happens, if it did they would take up a "non tippable" job at min wage.

Most likely benefit from it. Just as people I know in Ireland did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

average is 63% more than min wage, I wonder what it is in Ireland, and that does not even factor in the 40-50% undeclared tips.

That link actually says.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages

Which is why I don’t care if they declare all tips or not. Seems to be the wrong part of the income stream to be worried about. I responded to the claim that tips were untaxable, not that they were all taxed. The IRS expects bar staff to declare tips as income, I don’t know if that is true here.

In the US because of the low wages I tip at the bar, even though nothing has been delivered to a table. Here I tip waiters and sometimes bar staff delivering drinks if the round is big. But not often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

That link actually says.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages

Which is why I don’t care if they declare all tips or not. Seems to be the wrong part of the income stream to be worried about. I responded to the claim that tips were untaxable, not that they were all taxed. The IRS expects bar staff to declare tips as income, I don’t know if that is true here.

In the US because of the low wages I tip at the bar, even though nothing has been delivered to a table. Here I tip waiters and sometimes bar staff delivering drinks if the round is big. But not often.

Plus, anyone who ever ordererd a drink in a bar in the US knows that if you don't tip, your tongue could be hanging out and you could the only person in the bar, you won't get served again if you don't tip.

Personally I don't give a s**t if a young gal/guy on minimum wage pays tax on their tips, you have to be a rare breed to begrudge them a few extra quid for putting up with some of the knobs they have to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Tipping as the norm is a nonsense culture, and you are only encouraging employers to continue to pay lower wages. To the poster who claimed that without tipping, no-one would work as a delivery driver - the market in that case would force the employers to pay more. Even a free market capitalist like me wants people to earn a solid living without passing costs onto the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Tipping as the norm is a nonsense culture, and you are only encouraging employers to continue to pay lower wages. To the poster who claimed that without tipping, no-one would work as a delivery driver - the market in that case would force the employers to pay more. Even a free market capitalist like me wants people to earn a solid living without passing costs onto the customer.

If employers had to pay more, it would drive up the cost of take aways, no doubt leading to accusations of rip offs. If you want the convenience of having low cost take aways being delivered, then you pay of the convenience. Giving the driver a couple of euros isn't wrong.

That link actually says.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages.
    Yes, not sure why you are quoting that and saying "actually", do you think this goes against some point I was making?

you forgot the tail end of that
    If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.

I was asking What sort of % so you think in the US or Ireland are actually earning no more than $2 an hour. Nobody is anywhere near that after tips, it would be illegal.

I responded to the claim that tips were untaxable.
    did someone claim that? certainly wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

.............but i'm working in a working class area where take aways is the norm and not a treat.Flat out most nights..............
    Thats pretty sad to hear considering you could buy and cook healthy food for pretty much the same as you pay for the takeaway. Parents need to cop on and learn to cook properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Rotten12 wrote: »
    Please stop tipping these people. They save the money and book more flights for the rest there family, who cost me and you in paying taxes, for there social welfare. They push up house prices, another house full. Stop now. Holy Friday, now you can go pub, Ireland been destroyed by these rottens

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

10% for barbers, meals, food deliveries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Rotten12 - this forum is for Consumer Issues, not a discussion on immigration. Take it to a more appropriate forum

@All posters - please don’t respond.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

If there's a delivery charge I don't tip, if there's no charge, I will.

Pay the bones of 20 quid for 2 people plus a 2 or 3 euro delivery charge. It's enough to be paying.

Rotten12 infracted for failing to heed mod warning. Replies also deleted. Please don’t feed the troll.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

This is what happened for years in the UK. English people supporting the non-national takeaways etc. now some of their towns are facing serious multicultural issues. If anything limit the takeaways and if on a treat try and support Irish takeaway such as Leo Burdocks etc.

Posters - Final warning - can we please leave immigration issues out of this thread and forum? This discussion has been tipping away nicely until now. If you want to discuss immigration, take it to a more appropriate forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

James 007 wrote: »
    This is what happened for years in the UK. English people supporting the non-national takeaways etc. now some of their towns are facing serious multicultural issues. If anything limit the takeaways and if on a treat try and support Irish takeaway such as Leo Burdocks etc.

Yeah coz the Irish make a great chow mein. And don't get me started on Burdocks. What happened with Leo's? 3.50 for a bag and tastes like every other chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your local delivery driver / just-eat / deliveroo driver doesn't earn €9.55+ per hour (the minimum wage) and usually get paid per delivery / pay for all their own fuel and costs. So more often then not, the delivery driver could be earning less then minimum wage, i'm sure there are times when averaged out, they earn a good wage, but still, they are hardly making bank.

Most of the time the delivery charge goes straight to the business.

I try to tip €2 every time (usually 10%) just because its a tough job, but i would also tip in most service related jobs anyway.

Just out of curiosity, what makes it a tough job?

Because when I think of a tough job, I think of psychiatric nurse, manual labor, fireman etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

No takeaway ridiculously overpriced in this country as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    No takeaway ridiculously overpriced in this country as it is!

Lived in the UK, Australia and NZ and I'd say Ireland is on a par if not cheaper than those countries for takeaway food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what exactly are these delivery drivers doing that is above what you would expect to be part of their job.
    delivering hot food quickly is their job. if its not piping hot then they failed to do their job

Advertisement