Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip for takeaway deliveries?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

I'm currently doing deliveries now myself.. we offer free delivery in our restaurant.. tips do make up a good portion of your nights earnings..

I'd average it out at about €1.20 average tip.. about 30% wouldn't tip I find even with free delivery.. the restaurant pays me to deliver and get a float when i arrive

I know a few drivers from other restaurants and they will also only go to the places first who they know will tip.. I do it myself and so do the other drivers in our restaurant.. it's common sense

Sometimes I'd get a delivery of nearly a 2 mile drive to deliver and get no tip.. just the restaurant paying me €2 to deliver it. I've never had a complaint in all the years working there of food being cold or anything. Also sometimes have people made orders of up to €70 worth of food and still wouldn't tip.

Me myself I wouldn't make a order for food unless I had a tip.. that's even before I done the job myself. But that's just me I just tip on certain things like I would also tip the barber etc always.. wouldn't think any different of people who don't tip that's just their choice.

A good night I would earn €100 that's only really every so often.. average would be €75 - €80

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If ordering a pizza I grab the pizza and decide if it sufficiently hot before I decide whether to tip or not. If the pizza is warm and eddible but not actually hot the driver doesn't get a tip.

If the local delivery drivers know that you tip you've a better chance of piping hot food

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

James 007 wrote: »
    Thats pretty sad to hear considering you could buy and cook healthy food for pretty much the same as you pay for the takeaway. Parents need to cop on and learn to cook properly.
    You should be able to prepare a decent home-cooked meal for about half the price of the average take-away meal

Also I seen another poster saying we also get the dole which is wrong.. I have a daytime job as well I just do this a couple nights a week for extra money for usual stuff at home.. and so do other drivers i know in the game as well wprk day jobs also so that dole aiming crap is not for this topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I was a delivery driver many moons ago while training.

There was a delivery charge put on every order, how much depended on how far you were away from us. The cheapest was 1.50 then 2 then 2.50 then 3. There was a 3.80 charge for the odd one that was miles away.

The driver got the full delivery charge plus 5e per hour(normally 5 hrs)

On a slow night you might only make 30e so tips are important.

I was doing this as a 2nd year apprentice. The 2 nights a week I did was sometimes more than my weeks wages!!!

In terms of tips, a euro was fine. 2 was great. Got a few 5s and the odd 10 from a regular.

I always tip the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Also I seen another poster saying we also get the dole which is wrong.. I have a daytime job as well I just do this a couple nights a week for extra money for usual stuff at home.. and so do other drivers i know in the game as well wprk day jobs also so that dole aiming crap is not for this topic

Do you pay tax on your tips?

Naos wrote: »
    Do you pay tax on your tips?

What's that got to do with the dole? I pay enough tax in my other job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't tip mainly because I pay by card and don't have coins but also because I live close to all of my takeaways and they aren't exactly quick or frequently get things wrong. Being a delivery driver you know the costs, you can't expect the customers to pay for you doing your job.

Also this isn't America. You don't tip for the sake of tipping. In Ireland they're just doing their job, nothing more. It's not like in America where they're constantly getting you free refills or anything and even then you don't have to tip in the US, you can ignore a tip if the service was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't tip mainly because I pay by card and don't have coins but also because I live close to all of my takeaways and they aren't exactly quick or frequently get things wrong. Being a delivery driver you know the costs, you can't expect the customers to pay for you doing your job.

Also this isn't America. You don't tip for the sake of tipping. In Ireland they're just doing their job, nothing more. It's not like in America where they're constantly getting you free refills or anything and even then you don't have to tip in the US, you can ignore a tip if the service was crap.

The reason they probably aren't quick getting to you is you are probably known as the tight fella. So no one is too concerned about getting your order to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

FrStone wrote: »
    The reason they probably aren't quick getting to you is you are probably known as the tight fella. So no one is too concerned about getting your order to you.

then you ring in an complain that the food was cold and took ages to get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Tip restaurants 10% every time. Tip deliveries 50c every time and they always seem grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

what exactly are these delivery drivers doing that is above what you would expect to be part of their job.
    delivering hot food quickly is their job. if its not piping hot then they failed to do their job

Your job probably involves you sitting on your ass or standing still/walking around a small area. Delivery drivers have to find a location sometimes miles away. They have to put up with knobs who complain that food is not piping hot even though the driver may have to drive for miles or be in traffic for ages.

Personally I appreciate when my food is delivered on time and hot. I also appreciate that the guy/gal delivering it would probably be doing any other job if they could. These guys are not making a fortune, a few euro makes a difference and gratitude is usually repaid by speedy delivery the next time. As a previous poster said, tippers get speedier service the next time.

If you want guaranteed hot food quickly, either cook yourself or drive to the takeaway, otherwise appreciate that someone has had to drive to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

what exactly are these delivery drivers doing that is above what you would expect to be part of their job.
    delivering hot food quickly is their job. if its not piping hot then they failed to do their job

A **** job that you wouldn't do....

davo10 wrote: »
    Your job probably involves you sitting on your ass or standing still/walking around a small area. Delivery drivers have to find a location sometimes miles away. They have to put up with knobs who complain that food is not piping hot even though the driver may have to drive for miles or be in traffic for ages.

Personally I appreciate when my food is delivered on time and hot. I also appreciate that the guy/gal delivering it would probably be doing any other job if they could. These guys are not making a fortune, a few euro makes a difference and gratitude is usually repaid by speedy delivery the next time. As a previous poster said, tippers get speedier service the next time.

get over your self.
    my job is irrelivent to this. whether i sit on my ass all day or run around flat out makes no diference. my job is my job , i do it and i get paid. i dont expect anything extra just for doing my job. why would i

i can understand that finding someones house is tricky sometimes , especially for someone unfanilier to the area. but that should only happen once. traffic yes but feckin off to somone else first no.

tippers get better service but poor delivery drivers get complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you want guaranteed hot food quickly, either cook yourself or drive to the takeaway, otherwise appreciate that someone has had to drive to deliver it.
    had a good giggle reading that. Dunno if you cop on the irony of some bits.

I would like tipping illegal due to some of the reasons/implications of the tipping culture that you are getting at.

Nobody has given a reasonable answer which is not surprising at all, all pathetic deflecting cnutholes, laughable stuff!!!

FrStone wrote: »

I'd hardly consider myself tight for not wanting to tip. If I do have cash it usually goes to a charity box and donate monthly already.

People shouldn't be tipped just for doing their jobs and people shouldn't be labelled as tight for not being part of an American tipping culture in a country where the staff are paid enough.
    Delivery drivers have to find a location sometimes miles away. They have to put up with knobs who complain that food is not piping hot even though the driver may have to drive for miles or be in traffic for ages.

So...they're doing their job?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    A **** job that you wouldn't do....

why wouldnt i . the hours are bad but its physically easy, there is no heavy weight .you drive around for hours but thats not hard.
    you are pushed hard to make a living but most jobs are like that

one day last week i was stood in a hole with 12" of someone elses sh1te while trying to unblock a soil pipe stack that was blocked. dont tell me that driving a van for 5 hours is a ****ty job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I

Remember that the next time you think you deserve a raise or a promotion, you are just doing the job you are paid to do.

• Advertisement

Remember that the next time you think you deserve a raise or a promotion, you are just doing the job you are paid to do.

the diference there is the davey is getting paid by the employer and any negotiations are between the two of them.
    if davey does a better job then he can look for a raise. what the employer charges out daveys labour for is irrelivent to davey. he cant go to the customer and ask for a tip , and im sure the employer wouldnt be happpy if he received one

Last time I thought I deserved a raise I didn't get one, so I left for a much better paying job. Someone just doing their job doesn't deserve a tip. Much like I don't deserve a raise for just doing my job at the bare minimum.

Someone consistently working hard, improving their skills, improving the workflow, implementing ideas etc. deserves a raise. Not someone doing simply what is asked of them. Make no mistake I worked minimum wage for 3 years in a rapidly growing online sales department for a very profitable retail chain. My responsibilities and workload grew vastly in that time frame and I felt a raise was fair but the company is known for being cheap and only paying minimum wage so I left.

At the end of the day a delivery driver is an unskilled job and it's not difficult to drive a car from A to B without dropping or forgetting anything. If you want to tip go ahead just don't label people cheap for not tipping. If the driver feels his wages are unfair he can talk to his employer about it or get a different job.

get over your self.
    my job is irrelivent to this. whether i sit on my ass all day or run around flat out makes no diference. my job is my job , i do it and i get paid. i dont expect anything extra just for doing my job. why would i

i can understand that finding someones house is tricky sometimes , especially for someone unfanilier to the area. but that should only happen once. traffic yes but feckin off to somone else first no.

tippers get better service but poor delivery drivers get complaints

I agree with your whole statement but thought I' add on to the difficulties of finding the right house. I'm in appliance repair & find it difficult at times during the day. You can get half a dozen houses in a row that don't have a house number. I can only imagine how tough it can be in the dark as it's bucketing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I use eircode finder & a good sat nav. Sometimes it's wrong. I was in Bray on Friday. The road I was on had 5 houses with the number 7 address. I was able to find the house ad it has a house name and number.

Eircode will often bring you to the road behind a house instead of in front of it. Sometimes you need to travel a kilometer or more to get from the rear of the house to the front as they are different estates. I use eircode & it can be helpful but there are many mistakes in the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I'd hardly consider myself tight for not wanting to tip. If I do have cash it usually goes to a charity box and donate monthly already.

People shouldn't be tipped just for doing their jobs and people shouldn't be labelled as tight for not being part of an American tipping culture in a country where the staff are paid enough.

The reason to tip in the US is because they are not paid for doing their job - not minimum wage anyway. That’s true of deliveries here too althoigh there is a payment for deliveries.

The argument that it’s their job when they depend on tips doesn’t cut it.

What's that got to do with the dole? I pay enough tax in my other job

Well it's just your comment regarding not getting the dole was supposedly to highlight that you're not taking from the state, yet you are not contributing what you should be contributing.

Other delivery men pay tax on their earnings, so why don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I was comparing to the US

Naos wrote: »
    Well it's just your comment regarding not getting the dole was supposedly to highlight that you're not taking from the state, yet you are not contributing what you should be contributing.

Other delivery men pay tax on their earnings, so why don't you?

How many delivery men do you know who pay taxes? Give over will you. Not one food place in my area does the drivers pay tax on their small earnings.. sure your first comment was about tips I earned now it's about my complete earnings.. so which one is it you need to clarify what your gripe is?

You sound the type if the order was 19.95 you'd wait for your 5 cent back

• Advertisement

How many delivery men do you know who pay taxes? Give over will you. Not one food place in my area does the drivers pay tax on their small earnings.. sure your first comment was about tips I earned now it's about my complete earnings.. so which one is it you need to clarify what your gripe is?

You sound the type if the order was 19.95 you'd wait for your 5 cent back

A delivery driver in this thread said he paid tax on everything.

What percentage of your nightly take home do tips make up?

Nope - I always tip for good service.

Advertisement