Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip for takeaway deliveries?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The reason to tip in the US is because they are not paid for doing their job - not minimum wage anyway. That’s true of deliveries here too althoigh there is a payment for deliveries.

The argument that it’s their job when they depend on tips doesn’t cut it.

The argument that they depend on tips isn't acceptable either, if their job isn't providing enough income they need to either cut their expenses or find a better paying job.

What about all the bike couriers that people don't tip? Lads in Cyclone get what, €2 per drop? The ones on the pushbikes have a physically demanding job yet we don't tip them. Same with the Fasteway and Nightline drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

I always tip the delivery guys. The regular guys will pass others houses to come here first because if it and theyll tell you as well. Whats 2 euro to most people? But for them getting 2 euro at each door is massive. Even 1 euro a door would be a big deal to someone on a Friday and Saturday at the end of the night.

Especially Dublin, these guys are probably earning min wage but it's damn expensive place to live. 1 euro a door might mean the difference between them getting a night out a week and not just covering food and rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lots of delivery guys pay tax. All of Domino's drivers pay tax. Domino's pay for the drivers car insurance.

All delivery drivers need commercial insurance. You can't be a delivery driver with private car insurance. I would have thought that most delivery drivers pay at least some tax.

Takeaway offers a delivery service. Revenue want to know how the driver gets paid. They want records

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Naos wrote: »
    A delivery driver in this thread said he paid tax on everything.

What percentage of your nightly take home do tips make up?

Nope - I always tip for good service.

So 1 driver said in this thread he pays taxes on it.. do you actually know that be would a very very small minority and that is because of the low pay

About 25% would be tips. The taxman tried to come down on some restaurants for the delivery drivers but it didn't last long. Some owners basically just didn't cooperate for long enough. Hard enough to get drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

LeBash wrote: »
    I always tip the delivery guys. The regular guys will pass others houses to come here first because if it and theyll tell you as well. Whats 2 euro to most people? But for them getting 2 euro at each door is massive. Even 1 euro a door would be a big deal to someone on a Friday and Saturday at the end of the night.

When a business has a practice like this, it makes me question if I wish to take part in it. What happens when other customers tip more than you? Are you willing to accept colder food?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i dont get that. i go to a local chippers. i park outside, put the food into a freezer bag , drive straight home only 1-2km.. straight on heated plates and it still wouldnt scald you. pizza maybe but anything else i have never found it too hot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Mr.S wrote: »

The job is tough in the sense that it's often very underpaid, can be the only source of income for the driver and no secure income per week / month as it depends on how busy the takeaway is.

This makes no sense...

A job doesn't all of a sudden get tougher if you reduce pay or easier if you increase pay, you are still doing the same job albeit with different compensation levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greencoconut

When I pay by card, I don't normally do. But when i pay by cash I normally just ask them to keep the change, or if I have coins laying around I offer it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I always tip at least 2e. I did deliveries for my local Indian/Chinese while in college. We didn't get a wage and only got whatever the delivery charge was + a free meal per night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always tip at least 2e. I did deliveries for my local Indian/Chinese while in college. We didn't get a wage and only got whatever the delivery charge was + a free meal per night.

+1, this is why I tip the checkout staff in tesco & dunnes. In college I worked the tills at a local convenience store, we didn't get a wage, just a % of that nights taking on my till which was never that much, usually not min wage. We got to take home any leftover donuts & pastries at the end of the night.

I now presume everybody in a similar job is the same payment setup, so give a tip, I was very appreciative of those who tipped me, in fact I gave them better service, let them skip ahead of the queue etc. Just common sense really, just as others have reasoned, they get preferential treatment, so those non tippers in effect/by definition get poorer treatment.
    I know a few drivers from other restaurants and they will also only go to the places first who they know will tip.. I do it myself and so do the other drivers in our restaurant.. it's common sense

and just like the above poster said in the same post.
    wouldn't think any different of people who don't tip that's just their choice.
    I also thought absolutely no differently of the non tippers, their choice, I just let the tippers jump ahead of the queue. Or it my till was just about to open I might give the known tippers a heads up.

I know I was off the books, but I had another job for a few days a week that I did pay legit tax on. I decided myself that I paid "enough" tax on that job, so had no qualms about my tax evasion in my other job(s).

Sure everybody loves a bit of black market cash in hand payments, sure who on earth does it harm??!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Don’t get takeaway that often.

But would always give them at least 2 euro.

It’s a crappy job out in all kinds of weather, moany customers, and not knowing whose door you could be knocking on. One of the local delivery drivers was held up at knifepoint last week, poor fella. Another guy had his car robbed and it was found burnt out I read in the paper.

Would not begrudge them a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

davo10 wrote: »
    Plus, anyone who ever ordererd a drink in a bar in the US knows that if you don't tip, your tongue could be hanging out and you could the only person in the bar, you won't get served again if you don't tip.

Personally I don't give a s**t if a young gal/guy on minimum wage pays tax on their tips, you have to be a rare breed to begrudge them a few extra quid for putting up with some of the knobs they have to serve.

In New York, it used to work out that every dollar you laid on the bar as a tip for a five dollar beer meant you got a beer on the house after your fifth one. A good barman would remember your numbers near enough to give you your buyback. Over the years this has become less of a thing and the tipping thing has been used to augment the service industry's shitty wages. A friend of mine lived and worked there for a number of months a good few years ago and she wasn't actually paid for her work - believe it or not - but she was allowed to keep all of her tips, which she managed to pay her rent on and have a bit of a life with. The patrons probably knew the score with the low or lack of wages in the restaurant.

As for tipping over here for deliveries, I used to knock a couple of Euro onto the price, but the cost of everything has been increased to stupid levels over the past couple of years, I now just round it up. Shit just costs too bloody much now.

Advertisement