Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deposit required for phone

Options
  • 29-03-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    I signed up yesterday for bill pay with a Galaxy S7 which required a 200e upfront payment.
    However I was contacted later advising that i need to pay a further 300e deposit, returnable in some form in 7 months time.
    This seems a bit excessive, especially given that I am also already an eir fibre broadband customer.
    i dont think the Galaxy S7 is even that much to buy sim-free.
    Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Fergus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Something must have shown up in a credit report. Do you have a low credit rating or outstanding debts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

fme wrote: »
    Hi,
    I signed up yesterday for bill pay with a Galaxy S7 which required a 200e upfront payment.
    However I was contacted later advising that i need to pay a further 300e deposit, returnable in some form in 7 months time.
    This seems a bit excessive, especially given that I am also already an eir fibre broadband customer.
    i dont think the Galaxy S7 is even that much to buy sim-free.
    Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Fergus.
    Hi fme,

This would be the usual procedure, very often depending on the handset, there may be a deposit required.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

davo2001 wrote: »
    Something must have shown up in a credit report. Do you have a low credit rating or outstanding debts?
    Hi Davo,
    Should not be a problem with credit rating. Been paying a mortgage on time for many many years and also all loans paid on time.
    I did contact eir but the rep just said they couldnt tell me why - it was up to underwriter.
    I could of course go pay for a copy of my credit report but thats extra hassle & delay.
    I just want to know if this is normal, or if I can get a specific reason from eir why this is requested.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Thanks folks.
    I decided to cancel this as I found out it was conditional not only on the deposit, but on me extending my Fibre broadband contract for an additional 2 years also!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

fme wrote: »
    Thanks folks.
    I decided to cancel this as I found out it was conditional not only on the deposit, but on me extending my Fibre broadband contract for an additional 2 years also!

Baskets...

• Advertisement
Advertisement