Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent gone bust? Need advice fast...

Options
  • 29-03-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Some friends of mine have been looking at a place to rent that's a real bargain but not cheap by any means. They've viewed the place and are going to put down a hefty deposit with the letting agency but I noticed a few suspicious things that I looked into... And it looks like the agency officially dissolved the business in the last week!!!

Is this a scam? Or is the letting agent maybe just wrapping things up for a client who owns the property that's being let. The letting agents are still operating business as normal but a solocheck on the business shows otherwise. Should I get my friends to notify daft.ie?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Where is everyone?!

Update: It looks like the letting agency has two elements to it and just the auctioneering side went under. They still operate under the joint name but maybe that's just because they haven't updated their paperwork and website.

I'd be nervous all the same if it was me considering doing business with them tho...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it looks too good to be true, then it is.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If it looks too good to be true, then it is.

That's what I figure and got them to stall.

I'm trying to do some digging in the background to establish if the letting agency is even legally registered as a company. I asked on another thread but maybe someone here might know how one finds a company name from just their trading name??

Subtle wrote: »
    That's what I figure and got them to stall.

I'm trying to do some digging in the background to establish if the letting agency is even legally registered as a company. I asked on another thread but maybe someone here might know how one finds a company name from just their trading name??

Check the PSRA register to see if there is a licence to let property. Check the CRO for the business name.

Check the PSRA register to see if there is a licence to let property. Check the CRO for the business name.

Been there already this evening and their trading name is not listed at all but the now dissolved auctioneers name is but ONLY for selling, not letting!

But I'm told by friends that it was business as usual in the auctioneers/letting office today?!?

• Advertisement

Subtle wrote: »
    Been there already this evening and their trading name is not listed at all but the now dissolved auctioneers name is but ONLY for selling, not letting!

But I'm told by friends that it was business as usual in the auctioneers/letting office today?!?
    Selling includes letting but not vice versa. How can a dissolved auctioneer hold a licence. Contact the PSRA.

Selling includes letting but not vice versa. How can a dissolved auctioneer hold a licence. Contact the PSRA.

Bet they're closed tomorrow! It's still possible that the letting agency is registered as some totally unrelated company which might have a licence, I think... But...

Advertisement