Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio recommendations

Options
  • 29-03-2018 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all
    I want to put in a new patio, approx 30m², more than likely will use Indian sandstone. Anyone have any recommendations? Or could anyone give an idea of expected price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Good luck keeping it clean. Have an Indian sandstone patio myself and it is a pain in the hole to be honest. Can't remember how much it was though to be honest as it was just part of a bigger job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd be interested in this as well and recommendations for someone who installs stone patios.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

Anyone ever used “all cork driveways”, got a flyer from them not so long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ludo wrote: »
    Good luck keeping it clean. Have an Indian sandstone patio myself and it is a pain in the hole to be honest. Can't remember how much it was though to be honest as it was just part of a bigger job.

I'd agree. Spent two hours with the karcher doing part of ours yesterday. It was lovely when it was put in, but it isn't suitable for our climate. The wet really kills it. It take a ton of maintenance and even then it's too porous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'd agree. Spent two hours with the karcher doing part of ours yesterday. It was lovely when it was put in, but it isn't suitable for our climate. The wet really kills it. It take a ton of maintenance and even then it's too porous.

Yep...I'll be getting the karcher out very soon now also. It does look lovely when put down as you say and for a few weeks after a good clean but within a couple of months it looks crap again. It is impossible to keep moss/black mould/lichen (or whatever the hell it is)from growing all over it. Even a power wash won't take all off. I am seriously considering ripping mine up as it is so high maintenance.
    Would strongly advise you to ask for advice on a more suitable patio stone. Although there is no perfect one for the Irish climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

Thanks for advice. Does anyone know is limestone any better?

I've heard both have their upkeep but apparently sandstone is much harder to keep.

Granite is supposed to be a good option for only a couple of euro more per sq/meter. Apparently (and I stress the use of the word apparently, as I haven't actually had a granite patio, though i do plan to get one) it's pretty decent at staying good looking. It can apparently fade over time, but it doesn't look rough or worn or such (again, basing this on what I've heard, rather than what i've seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

OMalley paving in ballincollig are honest & good
    Accent is a bit strange as the Lituatiun worker bought out the family firm, but I'd happily recommend them.
    PMme if required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Is it not possible to seal the stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I've heard both have their upkeep but apparently sandstone is much harder to keep.

Granite is supposed to be a good option for only a couple of euro more per sq/meter. Apparently (and I stress the use of the word apparently, as I haven't actually had a granite patio, though i do plan to get one) it's pretty decent at staying good looking. It can apparently fade over time, but it doesn't look rough or worn or such (again, basing this on what I've heard, rather than what i've seen).

I've been considering Silver Granite Paving , good to hear it will holds up over time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement