Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just back from Dún Laoghaire very humid out there even for the evening.. Cracking weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Cloud cover to the east and some activity to my south west with a break overhead. Very hot out there now.
    Some active cells moving towards our general area so we will wait and see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Today

3lqD9yw.gif

Netweather

I8d8xIc.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-06-05

3Mz0GOS.png

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 05 Jun 2018 - 05:59 UTC Wed 06 Jun 2018

ISSUED 19:25 UTC Mon 04 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Chris

A weak surface trough will help to produce scattered showers and a few thunderstorms across western parts of Ireland during the afternoon.

Northwestern Ireland...

Diurnal heating will help push CAPE values to 700-1000 J/kg by mid to late afternoon across parts of western Ireland. This will trigger scattered convection with the potential for some lightning. Shear values will remain low so showers will be pulse variety and slow-moving and like previous days localised flooding will be the biggest threat.

Looking a bit warm and sticky tomorrow evening. More widespread showers tomorrow getting going late morning / early afternoon,heaviest in the Western side of the country late afternoon / early evening as a weak trough passes over .Convection set to mature along Atlantic coastal counties aided by weak convergence I would think.

tempresult_gjl8.gif

tempresult_tyu8.gif

nmm_uk1-5-27-4_jmf9.png

nmm_uk1-31-30-4_qbl1.png

nmm_uk1-3-27-4_fyu1.png

• Advertisement

iVg8IgP.gif?1

rFedRt7.png

TbxygCy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

iVg8IgP.gif?1

rFedRt7.png

TbxygCy.png

Again it’s not in the eastern half of of the country so this thread will be quiet again tomorrow lol

Big convection late afternoon leading to heavy localized showers.

18mm fell here near Tralee in 1.5hrs, 15mm of which fell in less than an hour

No thunder here, some small bit of activity showing up in Donegal . Sferic in Dublin but that might be erroneous.

bys6FPQ.png?1

CPg3Vcn.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sferic in Dublin but that might be erroneous.
    T'was indeed erroneous...it was very sunny afternoon and not a storm cloud to be seen!

• Advertisement

Last 24hrs across europe lightning strikes.. wow..

https://imgur.com/a/hJWHax2

jimmynokia wrote: »

Does that say Severe for the East or am I reading it wrong ? we're in the white zone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Does that say Severe for the East or am I reading it wrong ? we're in the white zone ?

But not enclosed by a black border so I’d guess no

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You're reading it wrong.

We will see if a few thunderstorms pop up today in the NW, W mainly. AROME and ARPEGE not showing much potential for rain or lightning.

tempresult_ppe2.gif

tempresult_ioc0.gif

ECM showing potential for heavy showers and thunderstorms possible.

KkMHOSA.png

9Oou0EM.png

7SFIpsT.png

Friday looks like widespread heavy showers and thunderstorm potential with the passage of a trough.

8XslH9m.gif?1

HKenHUc.png

FTbJTl3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorm just north of Carrick of Shannon now. Some more up towards Enniskillen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thunderstorm just north of Carrick of Shannon now. Some more up towards Enniskillen

Great looking cloud tops up that direction visible from Roscommon. Great heights

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Heavy downpour in NE.Galway, thought i heard a roll of thunder in the Roscommon direction but couldnt hear over the mother screeching to plug out the tele!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Searching for thundershowers all i got was this Sun dog.
    Cloud tops visible in North Galway/Roscommon direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Lightning maps show a strike near Ballindine /Claremorris, maybe thats what i heard,

Convective outlook for tomorrow

largethumb.php?date=2018-06-08

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 08 Jun 2018 - 05:59 UTC Sat 09 Jun 2018

ISSUED 19:58 UTC Thu 07 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Chris

Thunderstorms will develop across Ireland and western Scotland during Friday afternoon...

Ireland and western Scotland...

CAPE values will approach 1,000 J/kg by mid-afternoon in response to daytime heating allowing surface based thunderstorms to develop across Ireland. A few thunderstorms are also likely to develop across western Scotland in response to weak convergence and topographic forcing, although instability will be less and forecast profiles are drier (compared with Ireland).

Shannon and Knock both have a chance of Thunderstorm rain in their TAF's for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock and Shannon airport forecasting a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon(Friday)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Extreme lightning storm over the Adriatic Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Estofex have a level 3 for over that direction today, not to often they show a level 3.
    2018060906_201806072326_3_stormforecast.xml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Just looking and I have never seen lightning like that before, would be brilliant to be in a ship there.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just looking and I have never seen lightning like that before, would be brilliant to be in a ship there.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?lang=en

Stayed on the Adriatic Coast once years ago and saw something like that then - just a constant light show of lightning off shore, not even a drop of rain to spoil the view!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As I did last Friday, I am just going to close this thread, for today, and update title on the other one.

Discussion in relation to today's thunderstorms/heavy showers: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057879955

Edit: I moved some posts to today's 'event' thread.

• Advertisement

Thread opened again to discuss tomorrows potential.

Advertisement