Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What areas are most at risk tomorrow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing heavy showers and large amounts of CAPE possibly producing a fair shot of thunderstorms again tomorrow . Warm temperatures and high Theta E readings with plenty of moisture in the atmosphere ( small bit of DLS ). Would imagine similar type warnings tomorrow starting with yellow and waiting to see how it develops and quite possibly upgrading to Orange warnings later. Storms possibly kicking off early in the afternoon tomorrow again and with a fair amount of activity in the mid afternoon.

G9y8Pby.png

KGJOadX.png

6qHeTe1.png

V0S3gij.png

6d53SeV.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

dnK99WB.png

What areas are most at risk tomorrow?

Shortwave trough over Ireland tomorrow aiding the convection so roughly along that line would probably produce the most thunderstorms as it moves E peaking probably in the afternoon / early evening in the hottest part of the day.

DnPGK8l.gif?1

tempresult_xrn5.gif

tempresult_rrt2.gif

tempresult_ede5.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yellow Warning

Weather Advisory for Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary.

Occasional severe thunderstorms are expected to develop this afternoon and evening giving intense rainfall in short time periods and local spot flooding.

Issued:Saturday 09 June 2018 06:00
    Valid:Saturday 09 June 2018 12:00 to Saturday 09 June 2018 21:00

• Advertisement

Will close this thread for the day, have opened a dedicated event thread for the above warning posted by DOCARACH where all reports of rainfall / lightning can be posted together. Will open the thread later again this evening.

Mod Note: Thread open again.

Much bigger storms in the UK today. Unfortunate for the house to get struck by lightning.

https://twitter.com/HeartScotNews/status/1005501655268450305

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1005537634280669189

Convective showers perhaps along the S and more so the SE tomorrow where it looks to have the warmest temperatures, Convective Weather has low risk for this area but the chance of thunderstorms looks small but a couple of isolated short lived weakly electrified storms may be possible IMO.

3677_ugt0.png

3262_wsz0.png

6726_gnh7.png

nmm_uk1-5-27-4_nnz7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Serious convection bubbling on the Wicklow mountains.

452993.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

LEIN wrote: »
    Serious convection bubbling on the Wicklow mountains.

The image might benefit from resizing. It's hard to view as the file is huge.

I can see it perfectly !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I can see it perfectly !

I'm using a laptop and have to scroll a lot as the pic covers 4 times my screen size.

I'm using a laptop too. Low resolution screen or your display settings, picture is perfectly sized for a half decent laptop today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm using a laptop and have to scroll a lot as the pic covers 4 times my screen size.

A simple solution is to zoom out. I'm the same as you.

Yep, browser zoom could be +100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Apologies, I didn't realise there was an issue. My browser automatically resized it.

On the mobile at the moment and can't make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

No issues with it on my phone either. In other news, heavy showers have broken out in the inland south East.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Looks like a tasty cell forming overhead here. It's gone very dark and got that feeling.. hopefully something kicks off soon. Could certainly do with some rain for the lawns!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Fairly intense thunderstorm over Hungary atm.
    http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=14

• Advertisement

Possibility of thunderstorms in the Northern half of the country early Sat with the passage of an upper Low, UK set to get quite a few thunderstorms later Sat I would think. Cool day. I wonder if Convective Weathers forecast is a bit early ? I dont see much activity until maybe around 06.00 arriving on the coast , will see more tomorrow.

tempresult_wwe4.gif

tempresult_mcg3.gif

tempresult_khx7.gif

CwHidoV.png

uiaeJyR.png

Bw4Wvqd.png

ayKUvQg.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 05:59 UTC Sat 16 Jun 2018

ISSUED 18:47 UTC Thu 14 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Chris

The slight risk of thunderstorms across Ireland on Friday night...

Ireland...
    A small low will push east northeastwards across Ireland from Friday evening into the early hours of Saturday. Strong shear (DLS >50kts), and steepening lapse rates will likely produce some organised lines of heavy showers and some thunderstorms. These will be capable of producing some some gusts up to around 50mph and small hail. It should be stressed that lack of instability means this is a low-end slight risk at the moment.

Scotland...
    A weak short-wave trough will move through the flow across Scotland during the day on Friday, and this will steepen lapse-rates slightly allowing for some weak instability (200 J/kg CAPE). Convective showers are quite likely, but the lightning risk will remain small.

I think maybe just Northern Counties with a risk of thunderstorms tomorrow. The ECM seems to be showing the most potential for activity. A few thundery showers overnight perhaps also. Lots of DLS , maybe a chance of spotting a funnel.

xnF94ut.png

xoKpeyq.png

CF1RBT8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Quite a bit of thunder here in N Ireland

A fair amount in the NE, not many sferics overnight, The UK had a lot of activity in the afternoon.

PJsVIGm.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Southern France didn't disappoint, thunderstorms on the way, we had to fly around them, and then a direct hit on the first day.

20180612_175816.jpg

20180612_145754.jpg

20180617_212648.jpg

OcmHA5f.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 05:59 UTC Sun 01 Jul 2018

ISSUED 19:33 UTC Fri 29 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

Omega block, centred over the North Sea, will slowly drift eastwards on Saturday towards Scandinavia. The slow-moving upper low over western Iberia will then slide towards Biscay. The mean flow between these two features will tend to veer, allowing advection of a high ThetaW airmass to occur into S / SW England on Saturday night.

... REPUBLIC OF IRELAND ...
    Moisture pooling will likely occur by the afternoon hours as surface dewpoints lift to 15-17C over western portions of Ireland, potentially with significantly lower dewpoints farther east providing a notably sharp boundary. Given the slack surface flow, low-level wind convergence is expected to become more pronounced during the late afternoon, which combined with the approaching Atlantic upper trough may provide enough lift to generate deep convection and a few scattered heavy showers.
    Given 300-500 J/kg CAPE, a few sporadic lightning strikes would be possible. However, it must be noted that there are still several model solutions that remain rather unenthusiastic over this potential, and so some uncertainty exists over whether any deep convection may be able to develop - and for now have refrained from issuing a SLGT.

There is also a signal for some elevated convection to develop during the evening and overnight hours, primarily over Connaught / W Ulster, and areas offshore to the N and NW. Some lightning will be possible from this activity also.

... S / SW ENGLAND, S WALES ...
    The first signs of elevated convection may begin to develop on Saturday afternoon over the western English Channel, drifting close to Cornwall / Scilly. While isolated lightning cannot be ruled out with this activity, the magnitude of instability will be much more favourable during the overnight hours as isentropic lift promotes more significant destabilisation, especially after midnight. Scattered elevated showers and a few thunderstorms should develop a little more widely over the English Channel during the late evening onwards, drifting northwestwards across parts of SW England, and perhaps into parts of Cen S England and S Wales.

As is often the case in such setups, there is some uncertainty as to how widespread this activity will be, and it seems quite likely that any thunderstorms may weaken as they drift further inland and away from the main instability source which will continue to reside over the English Channel. Latest model guidance exhibits a slowing trend in destabilisation and the arrival of more significant instability - if this trend continues then the SLGT may need to be removed as the focus may shift beyond this forecast period.

The WRF - NMM has held this outlook the last few runs with the other models showing more benign conditions. ECM showing showers but light and sporadic. Hard to tell.

tempresult_boz3.gif

nmmuk-3-29-0_ddx5.png

nmmuk-28-30-0_uud6.png

nmmuk-5-30-0_vbh4.png

tempresult_srp4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Could we have a rare dryline in Ireland?
    .. REPUBLIC OF IRELAND ...
    Moisture pooling will likely occur by the afternoon hours as surface dewpoints lift to 15-17C over western portions of Ireland, potentially with significantly lower dewpoints farther east providing a notably sharp boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

What the heck is a dryline?

What else does 2018s weather have in store apart from probably 35c by the end of July?

Advertisement