Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on driving slow

Options
  • 29-03-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Husqvarna ride on with hydrostatic trans. Took it out for the first time this year and its driving slow, struggling to get up a slight hill. Feels like it want to go when I push hydrostatic lever up but just cant.

Any ideas what the issue is.

Comments

Hi

I have a Husqvarna ride on with hydrostatic trans. Took it out for the first time this year and its driving slow, struggling to get up a slight hill. Feels like it want to go when I push hydrostatic lever up but just cant.

Has it been serviced? I would be looking at the carb first. Clean out the bowl and look at the rest of the carb and see does it need cleaning. Be as well check the plug and filters too. My knowledge ends there as it is all push mowers I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Has it been serviced? I would be looking at the carb first. Clean out the bowl and look at the rest of the carb and see does it need cleaning. Be as well check the plug and filters too. My knowledge ends there as it is all push mowers I have.

Engine seems fine, it's the transfer of power to the wheels is the issue.

It was serviced late last year, I haven't investigated it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

"Hydrostatic" means that the power is transferred through a liquid, usually a type of oil. The clutch mechanism in cars with automatic transmission works like this. Perhaps the oil in the drive needs to be topped up/changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

How old is machine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Even hydrostatic drives often have a belt between the engine and the hydorstatic oil pump so I'd be checking the tension on that belt if it exists first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

my3cents wrote: »
    Even hydrostatic drives often have a belt between the engine and the hydorstatic oil pump so I'd be checking the tension on that belt if it exists first.

Belt system in mine, must check the tension. sticking my hand in it feels to move a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hi

These transmissions do wear out, especially if they are run hot due to a lot of hill work. Assuming it's not simply a slipping belt, I would try changing the oil as a first step. This is not as simple as opening the plug as there are two chambers. Youtube videos will help you if you decide to tackle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frazedame

Yep, change the oil in trans. You'll probably have to drop it out. It's straightforward enough. I did mine few weeks ago. Usually about six bolts hold it in.
    Use some good fully synthetic oil.
    Check your drive belt for cracks etc. The drive belt will be loose when the brake is on. So make sure you check tension with brake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You will probably be able to google an instruction manual and a service manual for your machine. It's also possible to get parts lists with exploded views, which can be a help when doing the work, and speed up the process of buying parts. Manualslib is a reliable site:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/683427/Husqvarna-Rider-15v2.html?page=45
    Just substitute your own model number. And be careful of the download buttons, just click on the top left one.

Advertisement