Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garo electric shower non priority unit

Options
  • 29-03-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all just wondering did anyone ever encounter a problem with Garo non priority shower units with certain electric shower tripping out RCBO yet no problem on shower or cabling or RCBO all tested, I have heard some of these priority unit can act up with certain shower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I never heard of anything specific on garo stuff. But I dont really use garo at all.

You have a current sensing relay and contactor to look at.

All else fails it possiable,
    You could remove one shower, wire it up as normal and see how that acts. If all is good try the second it would rule out the unit and a possible shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not an electrician here but work with showers so I encounter more faulty RCBOs than most electricians on a yearly basis

I've had electricians test rcbo for random tripping & they always get a clean bill of health. Yet when I ask them to change the rcbo it stops the random tripping. I've had clients ask me to replace the shower because the electrician has tested rcbo. I change the shower and it still trips. Change the rcbo & it works. Some RCBOs just get extra sensitive imo.

From my experience the rule of thumb is random tripping it's the rcbo. Instant tripping can also be rcbo but more likely the pump or element in the shower. Or possibly the pull cord switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not an electrician here but work with showers so I encounter more faulty RCBOs than most electricians on a yearly basis

I've had electricians test rcbo for random tripping & they always get a clean bill of health. Yet when I ask them to change the rcbo it stops the random tripping. I've had clients ask me to replace the shower because the electrician has tested rcbo. I change the shower and it still trips. Change the rcbo & it works. Some RCBOs just get extra sensitive imo.

From my experience the rule of thumb is random tripping it's the rcbo. Instant tripping can also be rcbo but more likely the pump or element in the shower. Or possibly the pull cord switch.

I have yet to come across a faulty rcbo, same with a faulty shower but what i have come across regularly is poor terminations at the pull cord or switch on the wall and the cable melting. Also it depends on the way the rcbo is tested just pushing the test button is not good enough an earth loop impedance test and a rcd test needs to be carried out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I do not rate Garo materials at all.
    In my opinion the terminals on many of their devices are too small, threads frequently strip, the screwdriver tends to damage terminals easily (cheap soft metal) and devices are in general of low quality. I generally avoid.

I have come across a number of RCDs over the years that have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Have replaced quite a number of garo rcbo’s
    Make sure to use grb40AS replacement (I haven’t had any issues with this type)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tweek84 wrote: »
    Also it depends on the way the rcbo is tested just pushing the test button is not good enough

The test button is only really a test of the mechanical operation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    The test button is only really a test of the mechanical operation.

What do you mean?
    The RCD trips when the test button is pressed due to a difference in current of more than 30 mA. So to me that is partially an electrical test and partially a mechanical one. I accept that it falls short of a conclusive electrical test but it is an electrical test none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

A current ramp test would be ideal, at least you will know the threshold that will operate the RCBO.

2011 wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    It obviously tests the sensing circuit, but regular testing helps stop the mechanism sticking probably. That is likely more common than sensing circuit failure.

It obviously tests the sensing circuit, but regular testing helps stop the mechanism sticking probably. That is likely more common than sensing circuit failure.

I agree, but it would seem that you are accepting that this is not entirely a mechanical test?

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I agree, but it would seem that you are accepting that this is not entirely a mechanical test?

Is this a contest:pac:

Ye hardly think I thought the test button is some sort of mechanical lever?

Is this a contest:pac:

Yup, you lost !! :D:D:D

:eek:

Edit: It is a crude electrical test, I will give you that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bruthal wrote:

Bet ya did! :)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bet ya did! :)

damn, caught out again

Advertisement