Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in North but working in Republic car insurance?

• 29-03-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I currently have a car insured here in the Republic, however my girlfriend lives over the border and I'm thinking about moving in with her soon. If I was to buy a UK reg'd car, would I be able to sell my current Southern reg car and transfer my policy over to a new UK reg one for the remainder of my policy (Up at the end of August) and then take out a new policy with a company in the North?

I can't find a definitive answer online. Most just say you can get temporary cover up to 30 days.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Highly unlikely, the motor insurance companies here don't understand the concept of transferring policies between the UK and ROI because while the name on the building (Axa, Allianz, Aviva, Zurich etc) may be the same, they operate as completely separate entities. You will have to terminate the policy in the south and take out a new policy up north. Good luck getting your no-claims discount transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jeriko

Was afraid that might be the case. Am I entitled to any money paid back if I cancel my insurance policy with 5 months left on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jeriko wrote: »
    Was afraid that might be the case. Am I entitled to any money paid back if I cancel my insurance policy with 5 months left on it?

The policy document should outline the rebates you get based on how many months are left. You'll find it on your company's website.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I did this the other way around. Was paying insurance in north monthly so it was cancelled. I think i had to pay an extra month to cancel but it wasnt much.

Took out policy in south, no hassle in accepting NCB. Moving is a regular enough thing, even cross border so wont be the first time theyll have come up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jeriko wrote: »
    Hi all,

I currently have a car insured here in the Republic, however my girlfriend lives over the border and I'm thinking about moving in with her soon. If I was to buy a UK reg'd car, would I be able to sell my current Southern reg car and transfer my policy over to a new UK reg one for the remainder of my policy (Up at the end of August) and then take out a new policy with a company in the North?

I can't find a definitive answer online. Most just say you can get temporary cover up to 30 days.

Thanks.

I'd be contacting Revenue to verify my residency status before doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

On a side note, does anyone know of any NI insurers that would except ROI no claims bonus on a policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd be contacting Revenue to verify my residency status before doing anything.

This, be sure to change your address with Revenue before you register a UK car and start driving it regularly in the south Republic - maybe the Guard at a checkpoint will wave you through but there are regular checkpoints with Customs present and these will only increase in frequency. Revenue won't give a flying fart your explanation and will seize the car if you can't show that you live in the North. Maybe keep your insurance letter with NI address in the glove box.

sdanseo wrote: »
    This, be sure to change your address with Revenue before you register a UK car and start driving it regularly in the south Republic - maybe the Guard at a checkpoint will wave you through but there are regular checkpoints with Customs present and these will only increase in frequency. Revenue won't give a flying fart your explanation and will seize the car if you can't show that you live in the North. Maybe keep your insurance letter with NI address in the glove box.

Cheers for the advice. I plan on changing my Irish licence to a UK one with the address on it, would that suffice?

Advertisement