Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver using bus lane

Options
  • 29-03-2018 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Was stopped at the traffic lights at broadstone luas station in the bus lane. Around 4.50 this evening.

Kinda felt a vehicle behind me in the bus lane. It was large silver 4x4. The traffic was built up half way down constitution hill.

When the lights went green, the 4x4 went by me and up the bus lane....caught up with the driver before the fire station as the driver got stuck behind a bus.. Tapped the bonnet of vehicle and gestured to the driver which happened to be a woman saying that she should not be in the bus lane as to move out of it.

She moved into the correct lane and went past me.

Went to speak to the driver to advise that she's not entitled to use the bus lane.

She said she was an on duty guard and was allowed to use it. The 4x4 was over 10 years old and clearly her private car.

She advised that she could have me arrested for criminal damage.....by me tapping the bonnet with my fingers.

I didn't ask for proof of ID or what station she was based in.

If she was an on duty guard.....is she entitled to use the bus lane.

Had two close calls this morning and wasn't in the mood for this type of bull sh1t* driving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You were probably just better off not bothering, usually nothing ever good comes out of telling others how to drive.

Plus you never know the reasons. More often than not it's people just in a hurry, but sometimes people may be rushing to hospital etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's usually a waste of time talking to drivers.

Also, some people go absolutely mental if you touch their car and can attack you.

I don't always stick to these two rules, but I've decided over the years that they're the better course of action. If you see a guard, maybe point out the offender to them, but, other than that, there's not a lot to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

micar wrote: »
    Was stopped at the traffic lights at broadstone luas station in the bus lane. Around 4.50 this evening.

Kinda felt a vehicle behind me in the bus lane. It was large silver 4x4. The traffic was built up half way down constitution hill.

When the lights went green, the 4x4 went by me and up the bus lane....caught up with the driver before the fire station as the driver got stuck behind a bus.. Tapped the bonnet of vehicle and gestured to the driver which happened to be a woman saying that she should not be in the bus lane as to move out of it.

Went to speak to the driver to advise that she's not entitled to use the bus lane.

She said she was an on duty guard and was allowed to use it. The 4x4 was over 10 years old and clearly her private car.

She advised that she could have me arrested for criminal damage.....by me tapping the bonnet with my fingers.

Had two close calls this morning and wasn't in the mood for this type of bull sh1t* driving

Lots of ignorant /stupid/ selfish drivers out there. That was b....x talk. She can’t use a bus lane if the car is not identified as a Garda car, marked or otherwise. She committed an offence by doing so.

I tap on cars and it generally works...it pisses off some motorists that interfere or endanger me, but that’s their problem. Its not criminal damage - where is the damage to start with?

That summed up that persons understanding of the law. Interfering or preventing a Garda in the course of their duty would be a better charge to level at you, if they were a Garda and you would have to know they were for it to stick.

...However, impersonating a Garda is a serious offence too. I wonder if they know that? If I had the time, I would have called her bluff and reported her....Garda driving their own cars while off duty are bound by the rules of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I file that stuff under LTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Tapped the bonnet of vehicle and gestured to the driver which happened to be a woman saying that she should not be in the bus lane as to move out of it. ...
    I'd find that a bit weird. Do you also check tax and insurance discs as you're travelling along. ....or Pay & Display tickets?

Much as we don't like any disregard for the bus lane regulations. it's not a cyclist's role to enforce them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I'd find that a bit weird. Do you also check tax and insurance discs as you're travelling along. ....or Pay & Display tickets?

Much as we don't like any disregard for the bus lane regulations. it's not a cyclist's role to enforce them.

The poster did not say they did check discs and my take on it is your comment is a red herring. It’s not ok for cars to use lanes they are not entitled to use and if they endanger me while doing so, I will tell them or report them for it. Some motorists just don’t care so why should I or we? What good comes out of relying on Garda to know the law and how to enforce ? We have crap driving because we have crap to no enforcement of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The lads in work call it the late lane. 60 Euro Fine , no penalty points. For the hour they save each day using it, they are more than willing to pay 60 Euro once a month. But they never get fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

micar wrote:

Bet she didn't pull out her id because there is a garda HQ directive, that is ignored by almost all Gardai not to drive in bus lanes unless under blues.

Why is it so wrong to point out to someone breaking the law that they shouldn't be doing so?

We've enough expensive tribunals in this country because of this type of pervasive attitude, sure there's no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Bet she didn't pull out her id because there is a garda HQ directive, that is ignored by almost all Gardai not to drive in bus lanes unless under blues.

Why is it so wrong to point out to someone breaking the law that they shouldn't be doing so?

We've enough expensive tribunals in this country because of this type of pervasive attitude, sure there's no harm done.

Actually the training for emergency service vehicles is to not use bus lanes, instead go into the middle of the road/ face oncoming traffic.

Regarding pointing out the law to someone, if we take it she is a Garda in the course of her duties, then private car or not, she's exempt. Section 87 road traffic act applies

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

Tapped the bonnet of vehicle and gestured to the driver which happened to be a woman saying that she should not be in the bus lane as to move out of it.

Was it necessary to speak to the driver after she moved out of the bus lane?
    All drivers know they're not supposed to be in the bus lane. That the driver moved into the correct lane after you tapped on the car should have been enough surely? It seems unnecessary to confront her again...

• Advertisement

Someone acting like a guard questions someone impersonating a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Touching people's stuff is a really bad idea.

Nobody likes being told what to do by a stranger when they are breaking rules, regardless of the mode of transport.

Try telling a cyclist not to jump red lights or a pedestrian not to cross near a crossing and see what kind of response you get.

It's not even transport specific. Try telling a parent how to handle their child or some aggressive drunk dude how to treat his girlfriend.

These conversations requires a level of charm most of us do not possess.

The socially acceptable way to communicate this information is with a finger at worst, but preferably an exasperated arm lift, or not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ..... It’s not ok for cars to use lanes they are not entitled to use and if they endanger me while doing so, I will tell them or report them for it.....
    Leaving 'entitlement' aside, I can't see how it would differ from being endangered on an ordinary road.

99.9% of roads do not have a bus lane. How do you manage on those roads or how did you manage before we had any bus lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

doolox wrote: »
    I suspect that you got jealous of a car being in the bus lane ........ There are enough police, traffic wardens etc

Jealous.... no.....annoyed that this woman decided she had a entitlement over all other road users who were stuck in traffic......yes.

I rarely see any guard from the traffic corps any my 45km daily commute.

In my years of cycling in dublin.....I've only spoken to drives a few times. A other times were due to a shocking close calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I agree with the sentiment of the OP's actions, but I would agree with others that the tapping on the bonnet is only likely to get the back up of the greedy driver. I give the blackest looks I can to drivers in the bus lane, cyclists on the pavement etc. A guesture calling their attention to ask the people they skipped would be more guilt inducing in my estimation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

several posts deleted, several posts edited to remove quotes.
    it's not rocket science - attack the post, not the poster.

any questions, PM me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny enough, the hardest thump i think i ever gave a car resulted in the driver claiming to be a garda.
    it wasn't a case of her using a bus lane though, she decided to overtake me on martin's row in chapelizod (a bloody narrow road, if you don't know it) into oncoming traffic, and then squeezed me up against the kerb. she ended up driving alongside me shouting out the window at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

So she did as you asked, and then you followed up with a lecture. Cut her a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Section 87 Road Traffic Act.

Maybe next time just keep to yourself. Nothing more insufferable than road users that lecture other road users like they are some form of higher authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Maybe next time just keep to yourself. Nothing more insufferable than road users that lecture other road users like they are some form of higher authority.

Thanks garda.

Why get involved though ? She moved out, leave it at that, and cycle on :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

greenspurs wrote: »
    Why get involved though ?

To make it less likely that she'll do the same thing the next day, and the next day, and the next day - endangering the safety of cyclists every time.

Tapping the car probably isn't a great idea, but making visual contact with the driver, and making sure they understand that they're not supposed to be there is a great idea.

Even if you get a hostile or dismissive response from the driver, it all adds up.

To make it less likely that she'll do the same thing the next day, and the next day, and the next day - endangering the safety of cyclists every time.

Tapping the car probably isn't a great idea, but making visual contact with the driver, and making sure they understand that they're not supposed to be there is a great idea.

Even if you get a hostile or dismissive response from the driver, it all adds up.

He gestured, she moved - point made.

He taps on car, and gestures more - and trying to be a member of the Road Traffic Corps, is needless and imo is over reacting..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Between the extremes of "just ignore antisocial behaviour" and "hang the misbehaving feckers for being antisocial" there is plenty of scope for a rational response to the behaviour of others, whether that behaviour is a road user clearly breaking the rules of the road, someone committing assault, someone using a hose to water their grass during water shortages, someone jumping the queue at the supermarket, or whatever.

We bang on often enough about the lack of garda enforcement of various laws, as if that is the only route to tackling antisocial behaviour. But what about peer pressure? That's something we can all feed into, not just by behaving responsibly ourselves, but also by taking issue with those that choose to not behave responsibly. Taking issue with someone is not always appropriate of course, some scenarios are fairly innocuous and "safe", others clearly are not.

So you pick and choose those situations where you feel it is appropriate to do or say something. You may choose differently from the OP but that's no reason to criticise them as if they were the culprit here. Would I do what they did? Maybe, maybe not. Were they right to take issue with someone who was breaking the rules of the road? I would say yes.

Would it have been better that they looked at the driver, tutted loudly but said nothing, and then complained later about the behaviour of others as if it's the role of someone/everyone else to try to influence peoples' behaviour for the better? What happens if all of us do exactly that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He taps on car, and gestures more - and trying to be a member of the Road Traffic Corps, is needless and imo is over reacting..

I don't get the connection between talking to another adult and 'trying to be a member of the Road Traffic Corps'. How is talking to another person trying to be a Garda?

I don't get the connection between talking to another adult and 'trying to be a member of the Road Traffic Corps'. How is talking to another person trying to be a Garda?

Its not just talking , though is it?
    Its more or less instructing another adult to drive their car (albeit where they should be) and then to then further 'advise' the driver that they shouldn't be in the bus lane ? That is doing the work of the Traffic Corps.

People nowadays don't like being told what to do, nevermind by a cyclist.
    So, in my opinion, the OP acted a bit foolishly, and overstepped his entitlement (ie Cycle, and not direct traffic)
    If the roles were reversed, a motorist telling a cyclist that they were in a lane they weren't supposed to be cycling in, and then when they met further up the road, tapped the cyclist on the handelbars, and 'advised' him/her ... :rolleyes:

I was waiting to go straight ahead at a large crossroads (for traffic going east: cycletrack, lane A, lane B ), when a driver went up lane B, turned hard left over the pedestrian crossing, across lane A and waited for the lights to change, splayed across the pedestrian crossing, lane A and lane B, blocking two lanes of waiting traffic.

I did a Tina-Fey-strength eye roll when he looked in my direction. Then the window rolled down and he started 'story-budding me. The lights changed and he was still demanding to know what the eye roll was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

People nowadays don't like being told what to do, nevermind by a cyclist.

Nowadays? When have been ever liked being told what to do? By a cyclist or anyone else?

And does that mean we should all just turn a blind eye to everything everyone else does?

If the roles were reversed, a motorist telling a cyclist that they were in a lane they weren't supposed to be cycling in, and then when they met further up the road, tapped the cyclist on the handelbars, and 'advised' him/her ... :rolleyes:

It used to annoy me beyond distraction when drivers told me, directly or indirectly to get off the road and use the cycle track ... and they were in terms of the law correct for quite a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Was it necessary to speak to the driver after she moved out of the bus lane?
    All drivers know they're not supposed to be in the bus lane. That the driver moved into the correct lane after you tapped on the car should have been enough surely? It seems unnecessary to confront her again...
    Someone acting like a guard questions someone impersonating a guard.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Touching people's stuff is a really bad idea.

Nobody likes being told what to do by a stranger when they are breaking rules, regardless of the mode of transport.

Try telling a cyclist not to jump red lights or a pedestrian not to cross near a crossing and see what kind of response you get.

It's not even transport specific. Try telling a parent how to handle their child or some aggressive drunk dude how to treat his girlfriend.

These conversations requires a level of charm most of us do not possess.

The socially acceptable way to communicate this information is with a finger at worst, but preferably an exasperated arm lift, or not at all
    boombang wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment of the OP's actions, but I would agree with others that the tapping on the bonnet is only likely to get the back up of the greedy driver. I give the blackest looks I can to drivers in the bus lane, cyclists on the pavement etc. A guesture calling their attention to ask the people they skipped would be more guilt inducing in my estimation.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Thanks garda.

Why get involved though ? She moved out, leave it at that, and cycle on :rolleyes:
    He gestured, she moved - point made.

I fcuking hate this mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Just one question, do you follow your fellow cyclists after they break red lights? Not all do break lights but such a high percentage do break lights that you will almost certainly see other cyclists break lights on a daily basis.

With your sense of zeal and being a fellow cyclist you might be just what the road safety authority need to get people to change their ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement